carat
color
clarity

I had to put my dog down

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC7FA7A6-E3FE-468F-AC10-37901847BB7D.jpeg
Daisy was the best girl in the world. Because of her mix of shepherd, border collie, and who knows what else, she was watchful, intelligent, caring, and willful. She never let herself be trained unless she wanted to and I guess we liked it that way.

She LOVED our children. They were every bit as much her babies as they were mine. Every night she would stay on my youngest’s bed until he fell asleep, then she did the same with my oldest son, then she kept watch by the front door.

She was always aloof about me unless she thought I was in trouble. She even dove in the pool after me because she thought I was drowning. She hated water more than death.

She loved everyone. She had the best heart.

In the end, she was in too much pain to go on. No one tells you how hard this is or how guilty you will feel or how badly you will want all of those years back.

Thanks for reading

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh HC I am so sorry. I know those feelings all too well.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so very sorry @House Cat There are never the right words to convey how much it hurts and just what our furbabies mean to us.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet and family member . :cry2:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh HC. I'm so sorry for the loss of your fur baby. We don't deserve dogs :cry2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh so sad Housecat. She was a beautiful girl with a great name and you'll always love her.

kind regards Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful tribute you wrote to her - your love for her is palpable. Yeah, it is definitely one of the hardest things to do - put a loved one down. For what its worth, I remember feeling so conflicted - bereft and grief stricken, so guilty, and yet relieved she was out of pain - that I basically hid myself away from the world for the first few days.

Know that she has relief and she is probably in a place where she can perpetually watch over all of you now. Also know that you did the right thing.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s such a hard decision to make and you did it out love. From your description, not only did Daisy love her family but she was much loved and taken cared of as well.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss. Daisy was a really special girl and she gave as much love as she got.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awe I'm sorry. I know this pain all too well. Lots of hugs to you and your fam <3
Feel free to post more pictures of your happy memories with Daisy, she looks like a wonderful family member!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry Housecat. I probably love my dog more than my husband and when it's his time I will not be okay. I'm all welly now looking at your pic of Daisy. I'd love to see more pics of her and hear stories about all her shenanigans if you want to share.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs and condolences.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winging hugs your way.
She has crossed the rainbow bridge and pain-free, knowing she was loved and dearly missed. R.I.P.
DK sad :((

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear about your sweet Daisy..She was loved and she loved you all..You can’t have a better life than that..

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. Dogs are so special and their bond with their family is unsurpassed. How lucky you all are to have had each other.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rest in peace, Daisy.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I am so, so sorry. I don't wish to derail your thread or make it about me, but I just want to say I know just how hard this is for you. I had to do the same Sunday with my little dog on the left in my avatar. (And yes the guilt is killing me - did I do it to soon?)

I hope you know you did all you could. :cry2:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss. Daisy sounded like the best girl <3

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sad for you. Losing a fur baby that has been loved and part of the family is so hard. She sounds wonderful. Hugs.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so, so sorry to read this....what a beautiful and amazing girl. The pain of losing one of our furbabies who are a part of our family is so difficult. Lots and lots of hugs to you...:cry2:

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@House Cat @Demon, I share your pain. We just had to do this about a month ago with our 17 yr. old mixed breed. My husband and I shared the same concerns about if we were doing it too early, but our vet was really reassuring, and the thing that keeps sticking in my mind was when she said, "It's better to do it a day too early than a day too late." Yes, it is a hard decision, but it is ultimately one of the most loving gifts that we can give them. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you provided them with loving homes during their lives.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
@House Cat @Demon, I share your pain. We just had to do this about a month ago with our 17 yr. old mixed breed. My husband and I shared the same concerns about if we were doing it too early, but our vet was really reassuring, and the thing that keeps sticking in my mind was when she said, "It's better to do it a day too early than a day too late." Yes, it is a hard decision, but it is ultimately one of the most loving gifts that we can give them. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you provided them with loving homes during their lives.

And I'm very sorry for your loss, too. And yeah, my vet said almost exactly the same thing. Still, second guessing seems to be the norm.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so very sorry @House Cat, I empathize with you and know how much your heart is hurting. Don't torture yourself with feelings of guilt, you are feeling enough pain as it is. You did the right thing. I just kept reminding myself my sweet boy wasn't in pain anymore, and it did bring me a bit of comfort. Sending lots of love and comfort to you, (((HUGS)))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry House Cat. Your post about Daisy gave a glimpse of what a wonderful dog she was and of your love for her. Please don’t torture yourself. You were very caring and did what was best for Daisy. I wish there was something I could say to make this easier on you. Hugs

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry for your loss, @House Cat. I’ve been there, and it is so heartbreaking to lose such loyal companions. It sounds like she lived a full, adventurous, and happy life, and that she was loved by her family. You’ll always have those wonderful memories. May Daisy Rest In Peace.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful girl!!
So sorry for your loss

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run Free Daisy !

@House Cat easy to see that you loved her dearly.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear the sad news :(

They are a member of the family and real characters, so it is hard when they move on.

When you are feeling low, try to think of all the good times and happiness that she had :)

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@House Cat - I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy I know. Hold the good memories close to your heart. She was a beautiful soul, inside and out. Hugs to you and your family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results