shape
carat
color
clarity

I had a crazy idea….

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a new to me platinum wedding band. It was sold as vintage, and while I’m not convinced of that, it’s still pretty as is.

Since I added it to my collection, I’ve given a lot of thought to what I’d like to purchase next. I’d love to find a vintage band with a specific date already inscribed on it from the previous owner. Do you think that would be possible? If so, any suggestions on how to go about finding something so specific?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience inscription is more common for 1900-1930s. Have seen earlier than 1900, but it is more rare. Do those eras interest you? Sometimes the metal purity or jeweler’s stamp can give an indication of how old a piece is so that’s another way to approach it.

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
In my experience inscription is more common for 1900-1930s. Have seen earlier than 1900, but it is more rare. Do those eras interest you? Sometimes the metal purity or jeweler’s stamp can give an indication of how old a piece is so that’s another way to approach it.

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Yes, that’s the time period I’d be looking at

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I recently purchased a new to me platinum wedding band. It was sold as vintage, and while I’m not convinced of that, it’s still pretty as is.

Since I added it to my collection, I’ve given a lot of thought to what I’d like to purchase next. I’d love to find a vintage band with a specific date already inscribed on it from the previous owner. Do you think that would be possible? If so, any suggestions on how to go about finding something so specific?

I see inscriptions on the IG [instadevilgram] all the time. I just saw a stack [I swear people are going to think IM MAVEN Lane] with inscriptions. Hold please..

here you go:

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Many Georgian and Victorian mourning rings have date inscriptions relating to the deceased person as well, but maybe that's too specific for what you're looking for. You can also try reaching out to sellers - many antique dealers who are active on Instagram understand the appeal of inscriptions, and may be able to give you first dibs or source something for you.

Seconding @kgizo that stamps/hallmarks can be of interest too. Have you looked into it? British silver and gold assay hallmarking since the 17th century include a stamp indicating the year the piece was made/submitted for assaying, and it can make a piece extra appealing if it's a year that's you have an affinity to. I always keep an eye out for specific years that are significant to me, "1898" being one, and the birth year of my DH for instance.

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I’d love to find an inscription for this specific date, and wonder which vendors will be able to keep an eye out for it. I know they are very busy. My grandmother, unfortunately, was not able to afford engraving. Since our dates are the same, it would just mean SO much to me.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you find the search too difficult is there a creative solution? Like finding an antique ring from her era with her birthstone or in her style and then you engrave with your special date? Just throwing it out there.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both! I’d love to find an inscription for this specific date, and wonder which vendors will be able to keep an eye out for it. I know they are very busy. My grandmother, unfortunately, was not able to afford engraving. Since our dates are the same, it would just mean SO much to me.

Oh I see now what you mean. Sorry I thought earlier that you were looking to collect a vintage band that had some date inscribed (that were specific to itself), rather than a particular date that you have in mind.

I would say that's tough, as it's near impossible to do online searches for inscribed antique/vintage jewellery due to many of them not being tagged and oftentimes not even disclosed as such (sometimes buyers only find out their purchases have old inscriptions after receiving them, depends on who you buy from). But I'm sure it can happen, you just have to get really lucky while being diligent. I sure have found many an obscure thing on my antique quests.

Year inscriptions would be easier to find for sure, but dates...For instance I don't hunt for antiques inscribed with my birthday, but I do notice it when I see it and I think I may have come across it once on a Georgian mourning piece where it was the day that the person it was commemorating passed (so not very much use to me in that sense).

I haven't bought from any popular antique dealers in a while, so I can't really personally recommend any names. But it never hurts to send a DM especially on Instagram if you see a shop you like! If you check out some of the antique jewellery hashtags you'll soon find many active dealers. And hopefully others on here can throw out some more recommendations as well.

If you find the search too difficult is there a creative solution? Like finding an antique ring from her era with her birthstone or in her style and then you engrave with your special date? Just throwing it out there.

Yeah and a new engraving can be a very nice thing too, especially if you can get it done by hand rather than laser (which tends to be too shallow).

Leigh_

Rough_Rock

Thank you for helping me think outside the box - that is definitely something I will consider, and a lovely idea.

I appreciate the suggestion of the assay marks too!

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
Oh I see now what you mean. Sorry I thought earlier that you were looking to collect a vintage band that had some date inscribed (that were specific to itself), rather than a particular date that you have in mind.

I would say that's tough, as it's near impossible to do online searches for inscribed antique/vintage jewellery due to many of them not being tagged and oftentimes not even disclosed as such (sometimes buyers only find out their purchases have old inscriptions after receiving them, depends on who you buy from). But I'm sure it can happen, you just have to get really lucky while being diligent. I sure have found many an obscure thing on my antique quests.

Year inscriptions would be easier to find for sure, but dates...For instance I don't hunt for antiques inscribed with my birthday, but I do notice it when I see it and I think I may have come across it once on a Georgian mourning piece where it was the day that the person it was commemorating passed (so not very much use to me in that sense).

I haven't bought from any popular antique dealers in a while, so I can't really personally recommend any names. But it never hurts to send a DM especially on Instagram if you see a shop you like! If you check out some of the antique jewellery hashtags you'll soon find many active dealers. And hopefully others on here can throw out some more recommendations as well.

Yeah and a new engraving can be a very nice thing too, especially if you can get it done by hand rather than laser (which tends to be too shallow).

You have both been tremendously helpful and kind! I will also be sure to keep your tip in mind about the hand engraving.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see them sometimes on Ebay. I bought a set years ago that was inscribed with initials and year 1934 and it was beautiful old set but I ended up selling it, wishing I had kept it, I even had the original jewelers box it came in.

Here are a couple:

Last edited:

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
I see them sometimes on Ebay. I bought a set years ago that was inscribed with initials and year 1934 and it was beautiful old set but I ended up selling it, wishing I had kept it, I even had the original jewelers box it came in.

Here are a couple:

Thank you! Lovely listings. I simply adore this era of jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results