shape
carat
color
clarity

I got offered a job

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Out of the blue today I was offered a job. A good one. The MD of an IT company asked me to come to work for him, kind of as a right hand woman. He does IT work for the clinic I''m in now, and we get on well. The pay is ok, more than I''m earning right now anyway. Plus the chance for bonuses and expenses.

Howeverrr...I''m a physiotherapist, not an IT grad! Although I''m good with computers, and would be good at and enjoy what he wants me to do, it''s just not something that was on my radar! Also, if I take the job, he wants me to stay for at least a year, it wouldn''t be a summer thing.
Ooooon the other hand, it''s a really great company. I don''t particularly love being a physiotherapist, and the job market here is non-existent for physios. I''m only working part time at the moment, and I''m damn lucky to even be doing that. I can continue to do evening/weekend work at the clinic I am currently based in. I have applied for a few Masters programmes starting September, but I''m wishy washy on most of them. Also, the one I am most interested in (MPH) has a distance learning option, so I could do it part time along with a job and not have to move for it (if I get it).

I think I''m going to go for it. At least try it out for the next few months. If, by the end of the summer, I end up being accepted to the masters, I can go for the distance learning option. I''ve been really confused lately about career directions, and here this great job falls into my lap...it''s just so out of left field, I''m a little blindsided! But hey, nothing ventured...

Not much point to this post really, it will disappear in a few days anyway, I just felt like talking it out.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I say do it!!!!!!!!! and CONGRATS on getting the offer!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I say go for it and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, congratulations, Porridge! You must be pretty great to work with if he would offer you a job that you''re not even that experienced with! I''d go for it. It sounds like you''re not in love with your current job anyway and if you can do the distance learning thing for school, why not? So far I''ve just eased into my jobs sort of by chance and it''s always worked out one way or another.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! That''s really nice of you to say Thing. I think we just get on particularly well together, you know the way you just hit it off with some people. But I am taking it as a big compliment and basking in the glow of it today!!

I''m going to call him tomorrow and say lets go for it! I''m excited!!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Porridge!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news Porridge. It sounds like a great opportunity so I''d go for it, especially due to the fact that you can work part-time in evenings/weekends in your current career.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m confused if you don''t love the field why get a masters degree?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks bee*, Zoe and ms cushion!
Date: 5/27/2010 6:57:28 PM
Author: Sizzle
I''m confused if you don''t love the field why get a masters degree?
Good question...what I don''t love is frontline healthcare. I like that my job helps people, but I don''t really enjoy seeing patient after patient. I prefer having my own stuff to work on. I love projects. Public Health would bring me into that line of work, while building on what I have already so I wouldn''t have to start over.

But mainly it''s just because that''s what I feel like I''m supposed to do after college.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful news! Congratulations on the job offer...and you weren''t even really looking!

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the work and a pay rise can''t hurt.

But honestly may I say: This is why I hate this country sometimes. It is not what you know but who you know and I have been at the rough end of that stick for far too long.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks tigian!

Yeah I know what you mean Steal. I bet this job won''t even be advertised. I''m trying to justify it to myself by thinking it''s not like he offered because he plays golf with Daddy or some reason like that. Just that he''s worked with me before and thinks I''d be good at the job. But yeah, whatever way you look at it, it''s a who you know situation.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Porridge, that is really great news! And I think it is encouraging that someone has WITNESSED your work ethic and WANTS to utilize it in this position. If I were you I would be more proud of that, as you and your work made an impression that is the catalyst for inviting you on board. (most get hired by black words on a white paper, as in resume.) But your actions got you noticed.

So here is the virtual pat on the back for a job well done! One that opened the door to yet another!

YOU GO GURLLLL!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Awesome news!!! I say do it!!! what have you got to lose? It sounds like a great opportunity at this time!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I think you should go for it. It sounds like you are pretty smart, and IT is always a ource of good jobs!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well done Porridge! I hope you enjoy your new job!
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results