shape
carat
color
clarity

I got a stone from BN, but my local jewelry store is...

jmi626

Rough_Rock
After getting help here from several people, I got the stone and was trying to get the setting custom made from a local store..

I've previously been to the store and told them I'll be buying the stone on-line but am looking for a setting locally.The seller told me that they will still show us a couple comparable stones and give us a good price and asked us to bring in the store...

They knew what color/size our stone was...

As soon as we took out the stone from the box she said, oh... (she was sitting across the desk) I can see the color, have you gotten a H or an I ? (btw, we already told her we're getting a G)..I told them It is a G, and they said several times, it looks like an H or I, and does not look like a G.... :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: I wasn't sure if she was being sincere or just trying to convince us that we had a bad stone... :think: :think: because when put next to the F they were showing, unless I'm an inch away and stare it is still for 3 min I had a hard time telling the color difference...

Anyways, she showed us a F stone, which table was 59%, depth 59.5, crown 32.5, pav 40.8.. the HCA came to 1.2~1.3..from my little knowledge, I did not like the table, depth nor the crown angle.. ...so the HCA score didn't really mean anything.. but she was trying to argue that its as good a stone as we got and even better cuz the color is a grade higher...

when face up, i thought mine was whiter, and had better brillance... and theirs were a bit smaller..

We're planning to have it set in gold and they kept telling us that once it is set, the yellow color from the g will show even more.. as where the F color which they are selling will have no color even when set with yellow gold...

I felt like they were just trying to convince us to buy their diamond and return ours..

If I decide to return the BN stone, I need to make a decision soon, but I wanted some of your input.. :wall: :wall:

P.S: when I first received the diamond, I was a bit shocked cuz, it wasn't as sparkly as I thought it would be.. I think I'm used to how they look in the store.. I was a bit dissapointed...

Also, when it was direictly in the sun, it looked black... :(... is there something wrong???

Aset image and a picture I took in the kitchen is attached...

aset-dia1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's try to sell her her, probably more expensive, lower cut grade stone.

Go elsewhere I don't like business practices like that.

Your stone looks lovley.

A g isn't yellow. Did you think it was yellow? Who care she could call it blue, doesn't mean that is what you see.
Direct sunlight is just not the ideal light for a diamond. Next time its sunny, go look at it under a tree. Or if you can do it safely, in a store. Or by a windowsill.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
If that's the aset of your stone, it's lovely. Can you just tell her it's an inherited diamond so that she doesn't feel sour about not getting your diamond sale? Do post photos when your ring is ready.

jmi626

Rough_Rock
Niel|1447644727|3950127 said:

Your stone looks lovley.

A g isn't yellow. Did you think it was yellow? Who care she could call it blue, doesn't mean that is what you see.
Direct sunlight is just not the ideal light for a diamond. Next time its sunny, go look at it under a tree. Or if you can do it safely, in a store. Or by a windowsill.

Hi Niel - No, mine wasn't yellow.. but they kept saying we can't tell cuz we're not "trained" eyes, and they can pick up color just like that... :wacko: :wacko: what worried me was how my setting will affect the color of the diamond...
they made it sound like if I have gold ring with g color, the diamond will pick up color from the yellow band and look "worse"??... whereas, an F color is colorless so, any color band will not affect the color of the diamond?...

I'm just worried after setting the diamond, if I don't like it, it will past the 30 day return for BN (make the custom setting will take 5wks)... and I'll be stuck with a diamond I don't love......

Even if I don't buy their diamond, I'm wondering if I should just get an e/f and be safe???

jmi626

Rough_Rock
Ashleigh|1447645522|3950133 said:
If that's the aset of your stone, it's lovely. Can you just tell her it's an inherited diamond so that she doesn't feel sour about not getting your diamond sale? Do post photos when your ring is ready.

Hi Ashleigh! Yes, I got an aset scope and took a picture myself.. :)... I was too dumb, and already told her we're buying a stone on-line... i guess it was a bad idea telling them our whole plan :wall: :wall: :wall:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A GIA graded G is never going to be tinted side on, all it is, is a b/s tactic to get you to spend money in their store so the sales girl gets her full commission or sales quota for the week. If it annoyed you go elsewhere for the setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're lying. Do not have YOUR best interest at heart, and frankly I would not give them your business. At all.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1447647215|3950146 said:
A GIA graded G is never going to be tinted side on, all it is, is a b/s tactic to get you to spend money in their store so the sales girl gets her full commission or sales quota for the week. If it annoyed you go elsewhere for the setting.
+1
the ASET image of your stone looks great as well
If you choose to use this local jeweler make sure you see the laser inscription on your stone when you drop it off and then see the same inscription after it is set.
Just to do your due diligence.

Q

Queenie60

There are plenty of jewelry stores. I would take my business elsewhere.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
They are trying to put doubt in your mind so the can up their sale. Which do you think they more profit on? A setting or the setting plus their more expensive diamond? Be sure your proceed with care. :wavey:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1447647242|3950147 said:
They're lying. Do not have YOUR best interest at heart, and frankly I would not give them your business. At all.

Agreed!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jmi626|1447646465|3950142 said:

Your stone looks lovley.

Even if I don't buy their diamond, I'm wondering if I should just get an e/f and be safe???

As a vendor I will refrain from commenting on either of the diamonds you are looking at, but I will not refrain from a comment on the statement highlighted in red.

Back in the days when yellow was very popular, I would be asked if I recommended a yellow or white band for a j-K-L-M colored diamond. I would always pick up a yellow mounting and let them look at their diamond face up, then lay it in the empty head for the yellow gold mounting. IT WOULD ALWAYS LOOK WHITER THAN IT WAS DUE TO THE CONTRAST WITH THE YELLOW.

It is clear to me that this person is trying to play the "Let's scare them with lies about the horrible internet diamond" card. I strongly recommend you scare them with the, "I am taking my money to someone honest" card.

You can tell them I said so if you wish...

Wink

jmi626

Rough_Rock
Wink|1447651636|3950168 said:

Your stone looks lovley.

As a vendor I will refrain from commenting on either of the diamonds you are looking at, but I will not refrain from a comment on the statement highlighted in red.

Back in the days when yellow was very popular, I would be asked if I recommended a yellow or white band for a j-K-L-M colored diamond. I would always pick up a yellow mounting and let them look at their diamond face up, then lay it in the empty head for the yellow gold mounting. IT WOULD ALWAYS LOOK WHITER THAN IT WAS DUE TO THE CONTRAST WITH THE YELLOW.

It is clear to me that this person is trying to play the "Let's scare them with lies about the horrible internet diamond" card. I strongly recommend you scare them with the, "I am taking my money to someone honest" card.

Wink

Oh, lol... Thank you for sharing your expertise.. They really succeeded scaring us...
We thought we would be walking out there today with all the orders put in, instead we left the store feeling uncertain and i guess a bit upset... :angryfire: :angryfire:

The setting we want is as below,, we will take a risk and will do yellow/rose gold with WG head. instead of white gold..

I can only imagine it in my head, and I think it will look great in rose/yellow gold..but their comments do scare me :think: :think:

What do you think? Should I just stick with whitegold over all or do you thing rose or yellow gold will look as pretty? :love: :love: :love:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will look fine. My SIL has an ideal cut H in a rose gold setting with a rose gold head and it looks white all the time... maybe if you put it next to an H in a white gold setting it would look slightly more tinted but I don't know. It certainly never looks tinted in person.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree. I'd find another jeweler to work with.

BTW that's a lovely setting. Can you share the manufacturer and model no. with us?

jmi626

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1447654517|3950179 said:

I agree. I'd find another jeweler to work with.

BTW that's a lovely setting. Can you share the manufacturer and model no. with us?

I think it is one of their own designs they made themselves, they sent me the glamour shots which I've posted here before - hoping to find more info, but the closest vendor was jeff couper, which didn't look exactly like this..

today I went and looked it in person and like it very much! if I want this setting i'll have to get it with them or bring a pic somewhere else and ask to copy it...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K how much is the setting, it's not a particularly unique setting anyone could make that for you.....for anyone interested this is what the OP posted in another post;

pic_front_0.jpg

save_0.jpg

jmi626

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1447656597|3950190 said:
O.K how much is the setting, it's not a particularly unique setting anyone could make that for you.....for anyone interested this is what the OP posted in another post;

Hi arkieb1, thank you for bringing my pics :wavey:

Would you recommend any vendor in particular? the setting would cost $2000 with 18K gold. But after what happened, I'm worried that they would be upset that we wouldn't buy the diamond from them, and not treat us properly or lack in quality when it comes to my jewelry... am I silly to think this way?? :think: :think:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

THIS!!! A GIA graded G is NOT going to be yellow. The store has integrity issues. I would not do business with them in anyway, shape or form.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
jmi626|1447657437|3950192 said:
arkieb1|1447656597|3950190 said:

Hi arkieb1, thank you for bringing my pics :wavey:

Would you recommend any vendor in particular? the setting would cost $2000 with 18K gold. But after what happened, I'm worried that they would be upset that we wouldn't buy the diamond from them, and not treat us properly or lack in quality when it comes to my jewelry... am I silly to think this way?? :think: :think:

I would not work with them they sound unscrupulous and there are many recommended designers on PS who could do that setting.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jmi626|1447652639|3950174 said:
Wink|1447651636|3950168 said:

Your stone looks lovley.

Wink

Oh, lol... Thank you for sharing your expertise.. They really succeeded scaring us...
We thought we would be walking out there today with all the orders put in, instead we left the store feeling uncertain and i guess a bit upset... :angryfire: :angryfire:

The setting we want is as below,, we will take a risk and will do yellow/rose gold with WG head. instead of white gold..

I can only imagine it in my head, and I think it will look great in rose/yellow gold..but their comments do scare me :think: :think:

What do you think? Should I just stick with whitegold over all or do you thing rose or yellow gold will look as pretty? :love: :love: :love:

That is a personal taste issue. With a GIA graded D-I most people will not notice any color in a mounted stone. The better cut the stone, the more unlikely that the color will be readily visible. It is important to note that some people are extremely color sensitive and will perceive minor color, even mounted, but they will also note more the sparkle and dispersion of a well cut diamond much more than the minuscule color. Thus the choice of white or yellow or rose is entirely up to you, the choice of metal will not change the appearance of your G colored diamond one whit.

I have mounted many J-N colored diamonds in both white, rose and yellow rings. Some choose the white as they wish the rich buttery warmth accentuated rather than hidden. It is all about what YOU like, since it is YOUR ring.

Wink

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
jmi626|1447644388|3950125 said:
Abecause when put next to the F they were showing, unless I'm an inch away and stare it is still for 3 min I had a hard time telling the color difference...

Diamonds are graded for color crown face down looking at the body color. Rounds return a lot of light making the faceup appearance even more white and difficult to discern differences. You will most readily notice any differences(if any) in lower indirect light(stay away from the strong bright spot lights of jewellery stores).

Your observations are the same as mine and I would suspect most people couldn't tell the difference between a G and F faceup in well cut rounds. The border between Colorless(D E F) and Near Colorless (G H I J) is not as obvious as one may think.

I agree with others, they are just trying to sell you one of their stones and disparage what you bought.

If they were smart they would giveup on the diamond sale, compliment you on your stone, and focus on winning your business on the setting.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's people like this that give B & M jewelry stores a bad rep. They are full of it and I would take the stone elsewhere. All store owners are not like this.

LesleyF

Rough_Rock
That jeweler sounds seriously shady. I would be wary of giving them any business at all.
Spend your hard earned money with a jeweler who is respectful and honest.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
doberman|1447689348|3950292 said:
It's people like this that give B & M jewelry stores a bad rep. They are full of it and I would take the stone elsewhere. All store owners are not like this.

Thank you!

Years ago I gave up being the owner of a B&M store, closed it and went Internet only. While I owned the store, I could, and did, match Internet pricing, and always greeted people bringing in diamonds for me to set with open arms. Often they would be treasures passed from mother to son or daughter, or more importantly to soon to be daughter-in-law. My own daughter-in-law wears a diamond that I helped my dad give to my mother back in 1975, before my son was even born.

Over the years many of my ring only clients became diamond clients for that trade up diamond or that first pair of diamond earrings. There were several great jewelers in Boise during those years and competition was both fierce and honorable. Recently, several of the best have closed their doors due to retirement of the principals and inability to find worthy successors.

Recently, two great people joined together to form a new store in Boise, and they have invited me to take an office in their new store in exchange for helping them to understand the intricacies of diamond cutting and working with their salespeople from time to time. I have been greatly refreshed to see how they relate to clients coming in the door. None are fed any fear about their diamonds, no matter whether they bought them from the Internet, received them as a treasured gift from a soon to be in-law, or inherited it from an ancestor. I truly believe that, with the independent jewelers, this type of reaction is the rule rather than the exception.

Still, as a former B&M store owner, the type of behavior mentioned by our OP makes me see deep dangerous red! I want to lash out and whip them up one side and down the other for the damage they do to the industry that I love. I do not want to see diamonds thrown away as a tradition for marking important events such as engagements.

Life is too wonderful and short to waste time with those who use fear as a tactic for selling instead of education and sharing of knowledge.

Wink

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They put down your stone while simultaneously trying to sell you their own. I know you see the disingenuous nature of that. Do you want to trust them with your expensive diamond and give them 2k for a setting? You said yourself you dont even think they'll take your commissioned work as seriously because you didn't buy your center stone from them.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
AS a trade member I cannot comment on the particular diamond, the ASET or setting. But I can tell you this - Wink is wise.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1447699855|3950380 said:
They put down your stone while simultaneously trying to sell you their own. I know you see the disingenuous nature of that. Do you want to trust them with your expensive diamond and give them 2k for a setting? You said yourself you dont even think they'll take your commissioned work as seriously because you didn't buy your center stone from them.

Well said, Neil. I wouldn't give that store your business--you can find much better elsewhere.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1447700088|3950382 said:
AS a trade member I cannot comment on the particular diamond, the ASET or setting. But I can tell you this - Wink is wise.

Thanks a lot Diamond_Hawk. I went home for lunch, put on a fresh pair of pants and ironed a clean shirt for a meeting a little later. Now I just snorted coffee all over it, and MY NOSE HURTS!

Sigh...

Wink, who is giggling anyway...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm in total agreement with those who said the store is using horrible tactics to scare you JMI626

I will add that as a person whose income used to be derived from selling diamonds to jewelry stores, I feel bad for them.
There's really no excuse for the poor treatment- but there are reasons.
Unfortunately, all too many of my former clients react in a similar manner when a consumer mentions an internet diamond purchase. They see their business evaporating in front of them.

The reasons these things matter is that the way things are going, local jewelers are an endangered species.......sad for consumers and the trade in general.
Steps off soap box and back into 2015 :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results