shape
carat
color
clarity

I found my dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I went dress shopping (at Davids Bridal of all places) and I was quite please I found a dress. But, weird things happened. I almost instantly fell into bridezilla mode when the people working at the store grabbed my hand and said, "Wow! That''s HUGE." (First, don''t touch me.) Then another co-worker came over and said, "That''s HUGE, HE MUST REALLY LOVE YOU!"
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
(Yes, you''re right, the size of my diamond surely screams that my fiance loves me more than your husband.) I was so furious for so many reasons, I had JUST been telling my lovely bridesmaids that I am tired of telling the story of my ring (grandmas ring) and I''m super tired of comments like the above. So when it happened without fail, I just instantly got stressed. Thankfully I have the BEST bridesmaids. One patted my back and the other shouted, "YES he loves her SO MUCH!!" (Because at that point I was speechless). That really helped, so I let it go.

I''m a plus size bride. So, finding dresses is a little harder. I DO have pictures, which I will upload later (so sorry!) Anyways, I told her my size. She then brings me a dress SIX SIZES smaller. It''s one thing to have a bigger dress, but ahm, smaller? I crunched my butt in there as much as I could. I would NOT zip up and I looked silly.

The second dress, WAS THE DRESS. I felt so good in it. The plus side? I was actually a size SMALLER than I thought I was
36.gif
That made me feel good! I also got a strapless dress, in ivory, and one I would NOT have tried on if I were to pick one out myself. But, I loved it. The boobs stayed in place (thats why I wanted straps, so I could wear a normal bra, which is apparently a no-no!), and I felt THIN in it. The pictures won''t show that.. but.. this is the weird part. Up until this exact dress, I have been so sad and depressed about getting married. Excited to get married to my best friend, but sad that THIS is happening and THAT and this and that are wrong, or these people wont go... my wedding date sucks and people are upset with it.. yadda yadda. But anyways, up until that I point I had not felt like I bride. I put this dress on and just started tearing up (actually, I am now just thinking about it). My mom started bawling, and my bridesmaids started tearing up. It was crazy. I never saw myself THAT attached to a dress. I just wanted a fun party dress.

I tried 2 more dresses on, but nothing compared to that second dress. So yes, I tried on 4 dresses total, bought my dress, shrug, veil and hair piece that day.. oh and the bra thingy that just was awful and I don''t know how people do it! haha.

I honestly don''t know why I waited so long to get a dress (we''ve been engaged since March). My advice to any future BIW is dress shop first- it pulls everything together.

My mom was pretty good about the thing. At check out (she actually bought everything except the bra thing) she said, "I was pretty good!" I was like....

40.gif
40.gif
40.gif
and almost flipped a lid again, but held it in. I honestly have bridesmaids that were extremely in tune with my feelings and it just helped so much.

Now, with the bridesmaids- they got their dresses their too! They are black, and cute. I told the SA that I wanted, "black, short, and sexy." Heck, we''ll be in vegas, I don''t want them feeling crappy in old lady dresses, and I''m confident that it won''t be in issue. Well, they found the sexy black dress (as much as you can get at Davids Bridal) and they both got the same dress. I told them that they didn''t have to, but they both looked amazing in the same dress.

The best part? When my mom tried on a bridesmaid dress. She is thin and has the cutest body and looks great in everything. She''s a size 4, and when she put on this gorgeous dress she says, "Swedish Bean, don''t be mean, I had 4 kids. I need a girdle."
38.gif
38.gif
23.gif
23.gif
The dress she tried on was silver. I LOVED it on her. I wanted her to get it.

She says, "I want black."
I say, "Black? The bridesmaids are wearing black. The silver looks great."
"But I want black. Why can''t I have black? I would look best in it."
"Mom? Really? Ok. Whatever. You can have black, but then you HAVE to wear the jewelry I tell you to wear."
"Ok, deal!"

Did she get it? No. It was a weird power struggle and I just stopped caring about that. I''m ok with her wearing black, honestly, but thought it was funny that she insisted on trying on dresses too (while the bridesmaids were) and then insisted on black. Whew. Moms.

So yep! That was my day.

ONE MORE THING.

The SA told me to buy the dress off the rack. I didn''t understand why (something about how if they ordered a new one it wouldn''t fit the same.) She said it was pretty much a brand new dress and that not many have tried it on, if at all- which sounded like BS.... but, I didn''t know! So I got it, and it''s hanging in my closet. I want to open the bag and look at it and try it on like every hour. Anyone else felt like that? Hehe.

Anyways, I wanted to update everyone, and I''ll get some pics on here when I can. I feel so relaxed about the rest of the party now-- like it''s still 13 months out, but somehow, it''ll all fall into place.
36.gif
36.gif
If you read through this long winded thing and made it through- thanks!

And this is the linky to the dress if anyone was wondering. It looks way cuter in person, but if anyone was curious!

evilin

Rough_Rock
hmm so so

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
YAY congrats :), the dress is beautiful I can''t wait to see pictures of you in it
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
and YAY for wonderful BM''s so great that they are so understanding :).

Date: 10/5/2009 7:18:16 AM
Author: Deelight
YAY congrats :), the dress is beautiful I can''t wait to see pictures of you in it
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
and YAY for wonderful BM''s so great that they are so understanding :).

My maid of honor took the pictures, but otherwise I would have them up! I''m feeling very blessed for them. I''m sure there will be bumps in the road with things, but nothing I can''t get through with them. :)

Thank you!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Such a pretty, romantic dress!!!!!

The reviewers love it too so it must be gorgeous. That to me, is perfection. Congratulations.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So soft and beautiful!! You must feel like a princess in that dress!! LOVE it
36.gif
36.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness! We bought the same dress! That is so awesome! Isn''t it gorgeous and actually comfortable on! I can''t wait to see your pictures! And yes, I bought the dress off the rack and it''s hanging in my mother''s closet, because I would be coming home from work and trying it on everyday if it was in my closet! I am so happy for you!
36.gif

Date: 10/5/2009 7:59:34 AM
Author: ilovesparkles
Oh my goodness! We bought the same dress! That is so awesome! Isn''t it gorgeous and actually comfortable on! I can''t wait to see your pictures! And yes, I bought the dress off the rack and it''s hanging in my mother''s closet, because I would be coming home from work and trying it on everyday if it was in my closet! I am so happy for you!
36.gif

Oh that is too funny! I felt so great in it! It was perfect. I was shocked it wasn''t $500 more!

Unfortunately my parents smoke, so I am keeping the dress at my place (smoke free!). I am thinking if I set a goal, try it on every 4 months I''ll be ok. lol.. Did you post pictures yet?? Or have any?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Your dress is lovely! Very romantic!

BTW, did the anyone from the store suggest long term storage ideas? If your wedding is over a year away, you may want to take it off the hanger and fold it (or SLT) so it doesn''t stretch or lose its shape. Years ago, my mom bought a formal dress for my brother''s wedding, a few months ahead of time and had it in her closet and the fabric stretched! It had to be hemmed....so check into that...wouldn''t want anything to happen to you beautiful gown!!
2.gif

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
your dress is so flowy and beautiful!!!!!!!! i can''t wait to see it on!

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! Love the flowiness of the skirt! Can''t wait to see pics of you in it!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great news Swedish Bean! That dress looks beautiful!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
OMG, that is such a sweet, romantic dress. I honestly never would have expected it to come from David''s (is that bad? I probably have a little anti-David''s bias). I can''t wait to see pictures of you in it! I bet you look stunning.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the dress! It''s so soft and romantic! Hoping you put up some pics of you in it :) Lucky you, having such wonderful bridesmaids too!

P.S.: None of that opening the bag and wearing the dress until the day, okay?!
3.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous dress, can''t wait to see it on ya!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Love it, love it, love it! Can''t wait for more pics!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Bean - I love your dress! So elegant!!!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finding your dress! I totally love it!!! You are going to be an absolutely beautiful bride!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I really like that dress and normally I am not a David''s Bridal fan (they messed up a bridesmaid dress I got from there once). I can''t wait to see your pics.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
it looks "flowy" and comfortable! i love the "simple beauty" of it!!!
30.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
lovely dress! i also found my dress as DB!
cannot WAIT to see it on you!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful dress-very romantic.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Hooray for finding *the* dress!

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
SB--CONGRATS on finding a beautiful dress! I can''t wait to see the pics, I''m sure you look gorgeous!

People will (mostly) stop grabbing your ring after you get married, I promise.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!! Congrats!!! So glad a initial bad experience turned into a good one!!! Woo hoo!!! The dress is very pretty...can''t wait to see pics!!

Date: 10/5/2009 8:22:07 AM
Author: Ara Ann
Your dress is lovely! Very romantic!

BTW, did the anyone from the store suggest long term storage ideas? If your wedding is over a year away, you may want to take it off the hanger and fold it (or SLT) so it doesn''t stretch or lose its shape. Years ago, my mom bought a formal dress for my brother''s wedding, a few months ahead of time and had it in her closet and the fabric stretched! It had to be hemmed....so check into that...wouldn''t want anything to happen to you beautiful gown!!
2.gif

YIIIIKES I never thought of this. I WILL look into this, thank you.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2009 6:53:18 AM
Author:swedish bean
I went dress shopping (at Davids Bridal of all places) and I was quite please I found a dress. But, weird things happened. I almost instantly fell into bridezilla mode when the people working at the store grabbed my hand and said, ''Wow! That''s HUGE.'' (First, don''t touch me.) Then another co-worker came over and said, ''That''s HUGE, HE MUST REALLY LOVE YOU!''
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
(Yes, you''re right, the size of my diamond surely screams that my fiance loves me more than your husband.) I was so furious for so many reasons, I had JUST been telling my lovely bridesmaids that I am tired of telling the story of my ring (grandmas ring) and I''m super tired of comments like the above. So when it happened without fail, I just instantly got stressed. Thankfully I have the BEST bridesmaids. One patted my back and the other shouted, ''YES he loves her SO MUCH!!'' (Because at that point I was speechless). That really helped, so I let it go.
Swedish, I would really try hard not to let these kinds of comments bother you. The truth is women look at each others rings (i would guess especially in a bridal store). Really they are just admiring your ring of your grandmother''s - there''s no reason you have to tell the story when someone admires it - just say thank you. It is, after all, intended to be a compliment, not an insult, even if you take it that way. You are either going to have to get over that, or stop wearing the ring, which i am sure you don''t want to do
2.gif

On to the dress...love it!!!! i hope you''ll post some pics of you in it soon - it looks sooooooo romantic.

And i hear ya on the mom thing - they are, especially at a daughter''s wedding time- - a little nutty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results