shape
carat
color
clarity

I don't know what to do with these vintage "pearls"

Dani4

Rough_Rock
thumb_IMG_8622_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8623_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8624_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8625_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8626_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8627_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8628_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8629_1024.jpg Hello All,
I was going through an old box of jewelry from my (step) great grandmother. These were her pearls. I would imagine she wore these in the 1960s/1970s or so, but I am not sure, as I was not yet born.

I was going to throw them away because they look awfully wrecked and no one would wear them in their present state. All the "pearls" have peeled and I don't even know if they are real to begin with.

There are two necklaces that came in a pouch that says "Bronzini Pearls- 14Kt gold clasp, genuine hand knotted". This pouch just confuses me however, because neither of the clasps appear to be 14kt gold, so I am not sure which necklace the pouch corresponds to, if either of them even do.

Any guidance or information would be appreciated. I have looked at other threads and it seems that a lot of people have mentioned MOPs and glass beads being used, so perhaps that's what I am seeing. Maybe these are just costume jewelry necklaces. This lady owned a lot of "Lisner" and other popular costume items from that time, so it would not come as a surprise to me if these were costume as well.

I don't know what to do with these pearls. I am a very sentimental person, and even though this lady was not a blood relative, I still wanted to check before discarding.

Thank you!

Dani4

Rough_Rock
Glass pearls! Ive never heard of such a thing! Thank you for the info!

The clasps don't appear to be real metal, so Im not sure they are worth fixing at this point. :/

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could find more information about this brand, I'd be interested to know. Maybe someone in the Antique and Vintage or Fashion Jewelry forum would know?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, those necklaces are in bad shape!
Obviously, neither if them came in that pouch.
I don't think they are worth refurbishing.

Dani4

Rough_Rock
Thanks, stracci....that's what I wanted to hear from people who are "in the know". Basically, just tell me if I can toss them, or tell me Im making a terrible mistake. Either way, I have no idea.
We live in Florida and this is what 30+ years of being in a hot attic will do.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like costume jewelry to me, with most of the coating having come off the majority of the faux pearls. Faux pearls were extremely common in the era that these would have come from, as few families would have been able to afford (or willing to spend the money on) real pearls. Plus, they came in colours (like that bronze) that do not occur in genuine pearls. I imagine that they were likely loved and worn often, but are not worth much now. The only potential value might be in the clasp, but you'd need to have them looked at to see if they are gold, gold plated, or base metal to know.

ETA: you might want to check out ebay to see if there's a market for the vintage clasps even if they are not real gold. You never know. The 'pearls' are not salvageable I'm afraid.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, stracci....that's what I wanted to hear from people who are "in the know". Basically, just tell me if I can toss them, or tell me Im making a terrible mistake. Either way, I have no idea.
We live in Florida and this is what 30+ years of being in a hot attic will do.
My mom lives in Florida, and her sterling jewelry turns a hideous black, unless it's kept in ziplock bags. Something about that climate.....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imitation pearls with a glass bead inside that are losing their coating-- toss them with a clear conscience! Keep the clasp only if you like it enough to want to use it for another necklace.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clasps are pretty and might possibly be of interest to someone who makes beaded jewellery.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Way back when your step great gran was a young lass, it was the 'thing' for a loving dad to give his daughter pearls on her 21st. Since Mikimoto had not opened the market to cultured pearls there were only natural pearls around and so great great grandad had to buy imitation. That's probably what these are. Given with love and clearly worn and worn until they are well worn. The coating, probably not much different to that done today (fish scales is one favourite ingredient) with 'shell 'pearls and the like, has simply worn off over time. It is probably a fake pearl coating and not real nacre because of the colour - the fake pearls do look as if they have spent all their days in a room with 10 heavy smokers
The clasps are all pretty. You could give them a really good wash (put the plug in the sink,lather up your hands and rub rub then rinse and pat dry gently to see what you have)
You could keep the clasps and add new pearls, in recognition of the love with which they were probably given - certainly they were valued as they have been so much worn

Dani4

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in and helped me have a better understanding of what I have here.

I'm not a hoarder by any means, but I do have a slight hesitation throwing stuff out if I think someone else could use it.

That being said, is there any one on here that would be interested in the clasps? I would be happy to mail them to you (if you are in the US). I would love to know they could be repurposed for something else. :twirl:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no private messaging on here and I don't think anyone would want to post their name and address on a public forum.

If you think the clasps are nice, you could donate them to your local thrift shop. I sometimes donate inexpensive jewelry that I don't want any more.

Dani4

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh, of course. I didnt realize there is no private messaging. I wouldn't feel comfortable posting my home address either.

The thrift store is a nice suggestion, thank you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they had sentimental value to me, I'd take the set with most of the coating removed, spend my own time (costs nothing!) removing the last of the coating, then have the glass beads knotted and restrung on a lime green, turquoise, orange or maybe red thread and have a new sterling silver clasp added. They would make a fun and sentimental necklace to wear. :))

PS The clasp with 3 pearls would make a nice pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results