shape
carat
color
clarity

I don''t Get it????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok Ladies (and not to discriminate you guys too), but there''s a commercial on TV from Ford Motor Company and it''s a family in I believe a Ford Escape and it seems they''re dropping the dad off with his luggage and the dad is hugging his daughter goodbye and the dad says to the mom, "thanks for including me this weekend" and she says something like sure and the commercial ends with the view of the dad being left by his luggage in the street and the tag line to the commercial says something like "Bold Moves So Rarely Happen" or something like that.

The commercial is somehow depressing, but I''ve yet to get what it''s really about? Is it about a family who is separated and trying to put things back together? Is it about a dad who works in a different city and doesn''t get to see his wife or kids except on weekends? What does it have to do with the SUV they''re advertising?

Just curious if anyone else has seen this commercial and do you wonder what it''s about too??

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
So much for promoting the nuclear family...

I''ve seen this commercial -- the first time I saw it, it shocked me, and I had to replay it (thanks, TiVo.)

It just looked to me as a commercial showing a divorced family, the parents getting together to take the kids out for the weekend. I was totally depressed after seeing it. I understand that the commercial reflects today''s increasing divorced family reality, but stilll...

is the commercial saying "The Ford Freestyle -- the perfect SUV for your broken family"
33.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 1:30:46 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
So much for promoting the nuclear family...

I''ve seen this commercial -- the first time I saw it, it shocked me, and I had to replay it (thanks, TiVo.)

It just looked to me as a commercial showing a divorced family, the parents getting together to take the kids out for the weekend. I was totally depressed after seeing it. I understand that the commercial reflects today''s increasing divorced family reality, but stilll...

is the commercial saying ''The Ford Freestyle -- the perfect SUV for your broken family''
33.gif
Thanks, those were my thoughts exactly???? With Ford having to buy out like a million hourly workers, and the fact they still don''t get it that America really does want fuel efficient well built cars (hello, haven''t they noticed yet that Toyota is the number 1 selling brand in America - Pity), they advertise the perfect car for the family not living together. Sad.........
32.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen it a few times and was confused the first couple as well. It seems definitely like they''re a broken family and the mom ''let'' the ex-husband go on a weekend excursion or something? Very odd. Is that how they picture modern America?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bold Moves So Rarely Happen-when was the last time you saw a divorced family in a commercial?

I remember the first time I saw this, too. Mildly shocking.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like the commercial and I don''t think it was well done...but we do have so many non-intact families that it is something people in advertising should aknowledge in their marketing. However, I really don''t like this commercial...it really didn''t work. I don''t know if it was trying to say that buying that car would make divorced like easier...or what?? Weird commercial.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen the commercial yet (Tivo) but I can''t believe Ford, who has a major image revamping to go through, would put out such a depressing commercial?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if it''s pitching it to women or men?

Women: show how strong and bold you are and how you don''t need your ex by getting this empowering car and thereby winning over your kids by being cooler and making your ex regret ever losing an amazing woman like you. And see how gracious you''re being to the loser by letting him come along?

Men: Don''t be the loser left in the driveway as your ex drives off with the happy kids after a cool weekend. Get your own and be the man again! You''ll be your kids'' hero once more!

9.gif

I personally think it''s aimed at women since the other "bold" ads are clearly aimed at women. Like the lady who''s bold by paying for the cute guy''s laundry and leaving her phone number.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 3:05:29 PM
Author: february2003bride
I haven''t seen the commercial yet (Tivo) but I can''t believe Ford, who has a major image revamping to go through, would put out such a depressing commercial?
Perhaps this is just another example of how messed up Ford is. Would you want to buy the sad broken family car??? Buying a car is supposed to be an exciting and good thing. The shininess, the new smeill, the adventures. But for me, I couldn''t get that image out of my head of the little girl looking sadly at her daddy standing in the middle of the street by his luggage...........

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 3:09:29 PM
Author: IndieJones

Women: show how strong and bold you are and how you don''t need your ex by getting this empowering car and thereby winning over your kids by being cooler and making your ex regret ever losing an amazing woman like you. And see how gracious you''re being to the loser by letting him come along?

Men: Don''t be the loser left in the driveway as your ex drives off with the happy kids after a cool weekend. Get your own and be the man again! You''ll be your kids'' hero once more!

9.gif

I personally think it''s aimed at women since the other ''bold'' ads are clearly aimed at women. Like the lady who''s bold by paying for the cute guy''s laundry and leaving her phone number.
Perhaps, but at least with the laundry commercial the thought is towards something exciting that might develop, as opposed to soemthing that kind of broke.........

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock

9.gif

I personally think it''s aimed at women since the other ''bold'' ads are clearly aimed at women. Like the lady who''s bold by paying for the cute guy''s laundry and leaving her phone number.
Makes sense to me. Smaller SUV''s (I think Escape fits in this category) get marketed more towards women, I think. Z.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Article about the commercial...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/business/media/17adco.html?ex=1313467200&en=81d40e48a33af24f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I thought it was weird too... confusing, unsettling and sad... not really the kind of emotions I want to associate with my new car. Yes, divorce is a reality in this country, but does that mean it makes for a good car commercial? Um, no. It basically makes every broken family feel guilty if they DON''T get along amicably, while every intact family feels happy that they''re NOT the people in that nice little Ford SUV. So seems like a pretty niche market they''re reaching for there!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
There was an article in the NY Times right after that commercial first came out (I just scrolled and saw that ephemery posted it). The new target in advertising is divorced adults...the Ford commercial was just the first of many to come, according to the article. I wasn''t offended by it, but it did make me sad.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 3:45:26 PM
Author: ephemery1
Article about the commercial...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/business/media/17adco.html?ex=1313467200&en=81d40e48a33af24f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I thought it was weird too... confusing, unsettling and sad... not really the kind of emotions I want to associate with my new car. Yes, divorce is a reality in this country, but does that mean it makes for a good car commercial? Um, no. It basically makes every broken family feel guilty if they DON''T get along amicably, while every intact family feels happy that they''re NOT the people in that nice little Ford SUV. So seems like a pretty niche market they''re reaching for there!!
Thanks for the link. It''s still sad to me that they''re using divorce as a vehicle (pun intended) to push cars. Will they take other sad aspects of our modern lives, like being laid off, drug dependancy, bankruptcy or even death, and associate them with a car too?? I still don''t get how the "bold move" represents the car in any sense??

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 4:30:39 PM
Author: Rod

Thanks for the link. It''s still sad to me that they''re using divorce as a vehicle (pun intended) to push cars. Will they take other sad aspects of our modern lives, like being laid off, drug dependancy, bankruptcy or even death, and associate them with a car too?? I still don''t get how the ''bold move'' represents the car in any sense??
I agree... if they wanted to go for shock value, why not show a gay couple with their children, or something that may be slightly outside the "norm" but still progressive in a way that feels inspiring and positive. Oh well... I can''t imagine it got unanimous approval from the marketing team... there must be a few people rolling their eyes now, saying "I told you so"!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 4:39:26 PM
Author: ephemery1

Date: 9/15/2006 4:30:39 PM

Thanks for the link. It''s still sad to me that they''re using divorce as a vehicle (pun intended) to push cars. Will they take other sad aspects of our modern lives, like being laid off, drug dependancy, bankruptcy or even death, and associate them with a car too?? I still don''t get how the ''bold move'' represents the car in any sense??
I agree... if they wanted to go for shock value, why not show a gay couple with their children, or something that may be slightly outside the ''norm'' but still progressive in a way that feels inspiring and positive. Oh well... I can''t imagine it got unanimous approval from the marketing team... there must be a few people rolling their eyes now, saying ''I told you so''!
As a happily coupled (for 27 years) gay man, I''d be surprised, but pleased to see Ford do something as progressive as show a well adjusted Gay family driving down the road in one of their cars. But I''m not sure why they need to offer social commentary to sell their products to begin with. I have an idea, why don''t they just tell us how their products are better built, or more fuel efficient, or safer, or more stylish to interest me in buying in the first place.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Personally,

I thought it was awesome. We do with my X husband. It is better for the kids.

We unfortunately have families that are split, but I think this promotes how parents can act like the grown ups and not require the children to. Just because people are divorced, it does not mean that the kids have to suffer. Yet I realize that it takes two to tango and to make a good situation.. But I really felt good about this commercial and I thought that it showed how wonderful thigs could be for the children regardless of the differences of the parents.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 4:39:26 PM
I have an idea, why don't they just tell us how their products are better built, or more fuel efficient, or safer, or more stylish to interest me in buying in the first place.

Now that's a *CRAZY* concept!

(Rod, I am SO with you on this. And sometimes I see an ad, TV or print, and I can't even figure out what the hell they're trying to sell.)

ETA - Not sure why this whole thing is in the blue quote box. Maybe I'm doing some type of subliminal advertising here and I don't even realize it.
21.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 5:00:37 PM

As a happily coupled (for 27 years) gay man, I''d be surprised, but pleased to see Ford do something as progressive as show a well adjusted Gay family driving down the road in one of their cars. But I''m not sure why they need to offer social commentary to sell their products to begin with. I have an idea, why don''t they just tell us how their products are better built, or more fuel efficient, or safer, or more stylish to interest me in buying in the first place.

Yeah. Social commentary is fine and all, but Ford''s a very troubled company pushing a product. They''re better served showing us why we should buy their stuff instead of making some kind of social statement. There are other opportunities for that. Show me some features or something that will make me want to buy that car.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 5:38:43 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 9/15/2006 5:00:37 PM

Yeah. Social commentary is fine and all, but Ford''s a very troubled company pushing a product. They''re better served showing us why we should buy their stuff instead of making some kind of social statement. There are other opportunities for that. Show me some features or something that will make me want to buy that car.
Thanks Superman!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh. I so totally agree with you. But there were two girls that I work with talking about this commercial the other day and they were telling me how much they LOVED it any how sweet it was.. I find it not only depressing but DISTURBING.. the most disturbing part being the MAN saying "Thanks for inviting me.." WTF?!

Oh.. you don''t understand it? Its divorced parents.. they''re not trying to get things back together.. the mom just "let" the dad go camping with them for the weekend.. to be nice.. GAG..

One of the girls said she appreciated it because she came from divorced parents.. so.. maybe I can see her side? (not really.. but I guess i can''t ARGUE with it..) The other one just thought it was sweet.. huh?!?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 5:44:28 PM
Author: MelissaSue
Oh my gosh. I so totally agree with you. But there were two girls that I work with talking about this commercial the other day and they were telling me how much they LOVED it any how sweet it was.. I find it not only depressing but DISTURBING.. the most disturbing part being the MAN saying ''Thanks for inviting me..'' WTF?!

Oh.. you don''t understand it? Its divorced parents.. they''re not trying to get things back together.. the mom just ''let'' the dad go camping with them for the weekend.. to be nice.. GAG..

One of the girls said she appreciated it because she came from divorced parents.. so.. maybe I can see her side? (not really.. but I guess i can''t ARGUE with it..) The other one just thought it was sweet.. huh?!?
Sweet???? I guess my definition of sweet and someone elses is quite different. Sweet is the DeBeers ad where the young couple are walking behind an older couple who are holding hands and when the young couple walk past the older couple they decide to hold hands too and you see the fabulous past-present-future diamond ring the young lady is wearing. Sweet is not dumping the ex husband off and seeing the sadness in his face and the childrens faces as they drive into the sunset. Odd what someone thinks is sweet, but then my parents just celebrated their 63 wedding anniversary so I didn''t come from a broken home. What do I know anyway???

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
"“Divorce is so common that I don’t think people view it as sad and depressing anymore,” said Allen P. Adamson, managing director at the New York office of Landor Associates, a corporate identity consulting company owned by the WPP Group. “It’s on every movie, every TV show. There aren’t any more ‘Leave It to Beaver’ families around.”

By most comments here, I guess they were wrong...

Date: 9/15/2006 5:16:15 PM
Author: MINE!!
Personally,

I thought it was awesome. We do with my X husband. It is better for the kids.

We unfortunately have families that are split, but I think this promotes how parents can act like the grown ups and not require the children to. Just because people are divorced, it does not mean that the kids have to suffer. Yet I realize that it takes two to tango and to make a good situation.. But I really felt good about this commercial and I thought that it showed how wonderful thigs could be for the children regardless of the differences of the parents.
But, there is the exception, and they''re going for it.

I personally like inclusivity. My wife and I looked at each other, I think, when we first saw the commercial. I think I appreciated it, myself, actually. Advertising is about appealing to...something. More and more of us are divorced, I guess. Hopefully that''s not in my future. But reaching out for normalcy in all situations has got to be a good thing. Reaching for what could otherwise be marginalized groups would seem to be the point.

Thanks for recapturing the article, which breezed by me, before I had a chance to read it.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

9.gif

Ugh!! I hate both commercials! It''s funny that my DH actually commented on the laundry commercial. He said, "what a hussy!! What if that guy is married? Does driving a Mustang somehow indicate that he''s single? How''s his wife gonna feel when she sees the name and phone number on it?"

And in typical male fashion says, " Besides, he''d never call her. He can only see what the back of her head looks like, unless we''re supposed to get from that commercial that she''s cute because she drives a Ford."

I told him that he was giving it entirely too much thought!!
26.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I havent seen this commercial & from what you all are saying about it, I dont think I want to. Is it still running or did they remove it per negative feedback?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 5:44:28 PM
Author: MelissaSue
Oh my gosh. I so totally agree with you. But there were two girls that I work with talking about this commercial the other day and they were telling me how much they LOVED it any how sweet it was.. I find it not only depressing but DISTURBING.. the most disturbing part being the MAN saying ''Thanks for inviting me..'' WTF?!

Oh.. you don''t understand it? Its divorced parents.. they''re not trying to get things back together.. the mom just ''let'' the dad go camping with them for the weekend.. to be nice.. GAG..

I came from divorced parents and my hubby was married before. I don''t like it at all and agree with you completely MS, exactly my thoughts. Hubby actually saw it first and was confused to what was going on and then when we saw it the second time together we both were like that is just wacked. I''ve heard Ford''s sales are down, maybe some of their advertising has something to do with it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone else said, I haven''t seen it, and it sounds like I don''t want to. Strange.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen it, but I think it is awful.

And as for this:

“Divorce is so common that I don’t think people view it as sad and depressing anymore,” said Allen P. Adamson, managing director at the New York office of Landor Associates, a corporate identity consulting company owned by the WPP Group. “It’s on every movie, every TV show. There aren’t any more ‘Leave It to Beaver’ families around.”

What an absolute, ignorant LIE!!!!!!!
29.gif
These idiots must have designed the commercial for Ford!!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Well I see I am not the only one who was confused.
5.gif
Yes divorce is a reality in our society, but I am totally against using that fact to sell cars. There is something really wrong with that. I guess they figured the shock factor would drive people into showrooms.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only thing I can think of is that they''re divorced but still spend time together for special things. My parents separated when I was 4 and the first few years they didn''t really do much but in later years they were quite content to ''share'' me on special occasions and after I married they sometimes got together for holidays like christmas and thanksgiving... even when I wasn''t there! My mom did the hair for my stepmother when she married my dad and my dad was at the hospital with me when my mom died. Sure, the first few years were rough, ending a marriage sucks, but putting it in the past and moving forward to form a new relationship meant the WORLD to me. I haven''t seen that commercial, but I don''t think it would offend me other than like you mentioned selling cars shouldn''t be a family commentary - other than yes this car will fit your 5 kids and this car won''t accommodate a car seat at all LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results