shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did a bad, bad thing...bought the sapphire ring many folks here advised against

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by Pinkmartini87, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Pinkmartini87
    Rough_Rock

by Pinkmartini87 » Oct 11, 2018
    IMG_8864.JPG IMG_9694.JPG IMG_9754.JPG Hi everyone,

Thought I'd give you all an update since you were all so helpful in my engagement ring hunt, and deserves to know what ringI ended up going with.

As the title implies, I feel a little scared telling folks that I ended up buying the antique ring with the sapphire that folks here said had a "huge window a truck could drive through" lol. I can't explain really why I still did it, other than I just really liked the ring and kept thinking about it and going back to it. I wanted something also that was an antique and all original, rather than sourcing a stone without its original setting. Also the fact that i thought it sold originally, but then saw it again in the store, I took it as a sign/second chance.

I know it's not a great saturated stone, but I love the pale color of it, and also color change from purple to blue. I also am a sucker for Art Deco period pieces, and this ring is all original (or so I've been told by the jeweler) with its platinum mounting and single cut diamonds. Thus I like to think I'm not the owner of this ring, but rather the caretaker of a small piece of history, and pass it on to someone else one day.

I was able to bargain a little, and in the end I paid around $2300 per carat for the almost 6 carat sapphire which I was able to verify as unheated.

3 questions (and of course would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the ring in general!):
    1. I know value is in the eye of the beholder and I obviously like the stone, but just curious did I waaaay overpay for it? It's okay if I did, would just like to know out of sheer curiosity.
    2. Are those rutile silk inclusions on the surface? Or something else?
    3. Would anyone consider a recut of the stone to minimize the window? Personally I'll likely leave it be and not take a chance, but curious to hear what the experts say.

Also included some photos under different light conditions to share with you all and thank you all again for all your help! I'm very grateful even if I didn't listen!!

2. elle_71125
    Ideal_Rock

by elle_71125 » Oct 11, 2018
    I can remember you posting this way back and it was clear you loved it then. Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut...even if that means going against the crowd. It’s a lovely color and I hope you get loades of joy from wearing it. :love:

tlfiore, MrsKBP, Arkteia and 9 others like this.
  3. HappyNewLife
    Ideal_Rock

by HappyNewLife » Oct 11, 2018
    I think it's very pretty. I kind of want to lick it, it looks like candy. If it makes you happy, then YAY!

(is there a way to polish out the inclusions? That's my only negative that I can see. The window is charming for some reason IMO)

MonkeysInk, MrsKBP and Pinkmartini87 like this.
  4. peacechick
    Brilliant_Rock

by peacechick » Oct 11, 2018
    Congratulations on your engagement! I think it is a lovely ring. I don’t know if I would exactly say the sapphire has a window, it does reflect light back so I think not really, more that it’s not cut to optimize light return. I think it’s up to you if you accept that.

I’m not sure what the rate would be for a color change sapphire ring of your size, my feeling is after a certain size, like 5 cts it gets subjective due to rarity. @lmyracle recently posted this blue sapphire ring from Etsy which seems like a good deal, barring the lack of a lab report: https://www.etsy.com/listing/501466940/5-carat-unheated-ceylon-sapphire-ring

My advice is that unless you are asking whether you should return this ring or not, to stop thinking about whether you paid a fair price. I assume your fiance has already proposed with the ring. If you love it, just enjoy it!

MrsKBP, Arkteia and Pinkmartini87 like this.
  5. sydneyatl
    Rough_Rock

by sydneyatl » Oct 11, 2018
    Window or not, I think it’s an absolutely gorgeous color and design! Fellow owner of a purple sapphire engagement ring here. :)

6. Bluegemz
    Ideal_Rock

by Bluegemz » Oct 11, 2018
    I love it! Window or not, there’s no denying that it’s simply beautiful! Good on you for going with your feeling!

7. LisaRN
    Ideal_Rock

by LisaRN » Oct 11, 2018
    I think the ring is lovely and romantic. I am so glad it has made you happy. If the silk you see is really just slight scratches a competent gem cutter can re-polish the stone without removing any significant weight to improve it's luster. The stone would need to be removed from the setting for that, but many people do this for small abrasions or scratches on their colored stones. I think the cut of the stone is one of the things that attracted you to this ring. But if you do send it to a gemstone cutter you can ask them their opinion on the potential to minimize the window while keeping the basic dimensions intact.

Congrats on your engagement!!!

Arkteia and Pinkmartini87 like this.
  8. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » Oct 11, 2018
    It’s very beautiful. The colour and shape very special.
    First thing though, it looks like it’s needs a visit to a jeweller for a nice clean and just to check the prongs on the diamonds as the setting looks a little worn, as is to be expected with an original Art Deco setting. The dark bits within the platinium are tarnish. The ring will look a million dollars once freshly polished.
    I’m not sure if the inclusions are just silk or “grime/ fluff” as well on the sapphire. An unheated sapphire will often show rutile inclusions as that’s why they heat them, to make those little “flecks” disappear.
    The “window” isn’t awful but whether or not a recut is advised ie change to carat weight is something you need to discuss with a gem cutter. Unless it bothers you I wouldn’t bother with a recut.
    Congratulations on your engagement.

9. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Oct 11, 2018
    HI:

Congrats!

cheers--Sharon

Pinkmartini87 likes this.
  10. 2Neezers
    Shiny_Rock

by 2Neezers » Oct 11, 2018
    It’s a beautiful stone and setting :love: Congratulations!

11. princessandthepear
    Shiny_Rock

by princessandthepear » Oct 11, 2018
    I love the periwinkle color of the sapphire in the first picture. It is a lovely and special piece of history. Enjoy it in good health and congratulations on your engagement.

12. eapj
    Shiny_Rock

by eapj » Oct 11, 2018
    I think it’s beautiful and it’s clear that you love it. That’s what matters!

13. InsecureSweetGirl
    Shiny_Rock

by InsecureSweetGirl » Oct 11, 2018
    No idea how to answer any of the questions you posted, but there's this:

when you follow your heart, it's always the right choice.

Mazel Tov, Congratulations and may your heart be full every time you look at your hand!

14. Shijitake
    Shiny_Rock

by Shijitake » Oct 11, 2018
    As long as you love it. Very nice color

15. AmethystHope
    Rough_Rock

by AmethystHope » Oct 12, 2018
    @Pinkmartini87 Congratulations on your engagement! =)2
    I think it’s great that you followed your heart and now get to enjoy the ring that you kept coming back to. It’s a neat design, beautiful colour and it looks awesome on your hand. You didn’t do a “bad bad” thing, you did the right thing for you - enjoy! All the best to you.

16. qubitasaurus
    Brilliant_Rock

by qubitasaurus » Oct 12, 2018
    It looks lovely on your hand. It is great that you found something you were that excited about -- I feel like it is rare to have something really call to you. I hope the ring brings you lots of happiness :appl:.

Edit -- yes please get someone to check the prongs.

Pinkmartini87 and MissyBeaucoup like this.
  17. tkyasx78
    Brilliant_Rock

by tkyasx78 » Oct 12, 2018
    I hope you have many happy years with your beautiful new ring! Congratulations!

18. AV_
    Shiny_Rock

by AV_ » Oct 12, 2018

... you might find that even synthetic sapphires were cut shallow like this at the time: the shape is simply more wearable this way, and the transparent pool of blue is a look by itself - which I tend to favor even in less marvelous sapphires!

Applause are due ! :clap:

___
    Re. inclusions - the 'silk' would look like haze without magnification, and I see relatively larger 'flecks' in the picture. I coulnd't tell what they are. If I had the time right now, I would be looking at an atlas of inclusions out of curiosity... first online at Lotus Gemology, then calling in the Big Book (see GGL). This is just fun... The person who pronounced the sapphire as not heated, will likely have a name for the inclusions too.

2p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. natasha-cupcake
    Shiny_Rock

by natasha-cupcake » Oct 12, 2018
    I adore that color and the setting is beautifully detailed. Even though the window is there, the edges of the window are very diffused, so I don't find it objectionable. I think you did great!

voce and Pinkmartini87 like this.
  20. mellowyellowgirl
    Brilliant_Rock

by mellowyellowgirl » Oct 12, 2018
    I think the most important thing about jewellery is to utterly love the piece that you bought and actually get what you are paying for (ie don't buy a piece of glass that is passed off as sapphire).

You've done your homework and were able to verify that it is unheated sapphire plus it sounds like you adore the ring! Wear it, enjoy it! It looks gorgeous on your finger.

I once spent....aii you don't want to know (it was a lot) on a sunflower yellow diamond ring. I probably could have clobbered together something similar to it for less but it was (to me) sublime right down to the very last detail so worth every penny!

ENJOY AND CONGRATS on your purchase!

21. TheGarnetGirl
    Shiny_Rock

by TheGarnetGirl » Oct 12, 2018
    If its proved to be unheated/untreated and it sings to your heart I think that was a great price for this large sapphire.

This color is also a color that I personally love so I'm biased but I think you have a gorgeously different ring and you should wear it proudly!

Also I think a nice little primping and cleaning to the ring and stone would make its beauty come out even more! Basically what Bron said (:

22. soxfan
    Ideal_Rock

by soxfan » Oct 12, 2018
    I love the stone, the color, AND that setting is to die for.

23. MeowMeow
    Shiny_Rock
    Trade

by MeowMeow » Oct 12, 2018
    Congratulations!! Its so pretty! Gorgeous colour!!!

24. MissyBeaucoup
    Brilliant_Rock

by MissyBeaucoup » Oct 12, 2018
    Such a gorgeous color & personality! You did great with this unique find and very reasonable price!

The cut is part of the charm. Don’t even think about recutting. Enjoy swimming in that big pool of gorgeous water! :appl:

Congratulations on your engagement! Wishing you two much happiness!!!

Pinkmartini87 and Bluegemz like this.
  25. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Oct 12, 2018
    We are here to help you make an informed decision. We lay out the facts and our opinions but in the end, you are the one to buy and wear it, so don't ever feel bad regarding your choice.

Colour is 100% personal. Not everyone like the trade preferred colour.

I do have one question though: who verified the stone as unheated? How was it verified? Both heated and unheated stones can show silk.

Q1. Price
    A few things will determine price. Namely, proper independent proof that the stone isn't synthetic which was highly popular in the past) and that it isn't heated. Knowing the carat weight as well.

Q2. Inclusions
    I'd like to see close up pictures of the stone (not on the hand)

Q3. Recut
    What is the current width, length and depth of the stone? A profile view might help as well. If the stone isn't deep enough, you will end up losing face up size and the stone may no longer fit the setting. I cannot answer this without more information. In short, it might not even be a suitable candidate.

Hounddog, Niel, voce and 2 others like this.
  26. Pinkmartini87
    Rough_Rock

by Pinkmartini87 » Oct 12, 2018
    Thank you to everyone and all your advice and kind wishes! Even though I'm a newbie to the forum, I'm so appreciative of how you are all so kind, and generous in sharing their valuable knowledge! This is just the beginning of my color stone passion, I'm sure! Hoping to learn (and buy!) more in the years to come!

I'll go ahead and respond individually to folks who asked a question

27. Pinkmartini87
    Rough_Rock

Thanks and shout out to all purple engagement rings out there! Is yours the one in your profile picture? If it is, it's gorgeous!

28. Pinkmartini87
    Rough_Rock

Thanks LisaRN for your advice on polishing! I just gave the ring a gentle clean with soap and water, and will post photos shortly in response to Chrono, hopefully maybe they will show better if what we are seeing are rutile silks or actually just surface scratches.

29. Pinkmartini87
    Rough_Rock

Dear Bron,

Thank you for your advice on getting the prongs checked--will do so hopefully this weekend!

30. lambskin
    Brilliant_Rock

by lambskin » Oct 12, 2018
    If you both love the ring then enjoy and don't second guess yourself. Congrats on the engagement.