shape
carat
color
clarity

I colored stone too low?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock

Hello,

My bf just told me that he wants to buy my engagement ring soon (within the 3 months). He said I can pick what I want. The budget for the stone only is $2,000. I''m hoping to get a stone that is about .75 carats. My question is, if I go with an I colored stone, will it show the color? If it helps, I''ve already picked the setting , which is yellow gold. I really apprieciate any help. Thanks

26.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not at all! especially a very well cut diamond. I had a J then I downgraded to a K and mine is set in Yellow gold. the diamond still looks white. You won''t really even notice any body color with an I.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I colour is definitely not too low to me.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
You will be fine with an I color, especially in yellow gold. You won''t be able to see any color at all in a stone that size from the top, and probably not even any from the side. Can''t wait to see your ring!

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
The Mrs has a well-cut, I-colour, VS1, 1ct, Princess in a yellow gold pendant that I once bought her as a gift - mainly to experiment with her taste in jewellery.

I didn''t let her see the cert for the stone until she made a guess of the colour. She guessed "E". She was shocked when she saw the "I" colour on the certificate.

Smaller stones (especially round brilliant cut) are even less likely to show colour tints.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My I colored princess cut shows no color at all
36.gif

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Heavens no!!! I color is just perfect! It won''t show any body of color at all. The mall is flooded with this color grade. You can visit an see it for yourself.

Are you looking for round brilliant? If you are, I suggest go for ideal cut. Congrats and have fun finding the ring!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 7:01:04 PM
Author: diamondrnglover
My I colored princess cut shows no color at all
36.gif

Ditto; everyone is always shocked to hear mine is an I!

zavy

Rough_Rock
I have a GIA J and I cannot not see any color at all from the top, however I do see a slight tint of color from the side. HTH

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not too low at all. Face up and well cut it will look colorless.
2.gif

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
I color isn't too low at all. I have a I/VS2 cushion and it faces up very white, especially compared to my side stones that are F-G colored. But each diamond shows its color differently so you'd need to see it and play it by ear because some people's eyes are "sensitive"to the warmth in a diamond's color and can see it a mile away (well, not literally). Wearing it with yellow gold or having flourenscence in the diamond gives it a whiter appearence.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you can see a tint when viewing it from the pavilion. Best to see it unset, to be sure it''s what you are comofratable with. I am thinking it will be fine. But the CUT is key here... Don''t sacrifice on that...
2.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Nobody can answer this question but you.
You may be color sensitive, or not.

There is no such thing as color that is "too low" . . . only color too low for you.
I'd never buy a diamond below F, but that doesn't matter here.
YOU are one who has to live with this diamond, not me.

You need to get out and see all these color grades for yourself.
But, as said, better cut will return more light and obscure the body color of the diamond.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
It depends on a number of factors, but a round brilliant in yellow gold will now appear yellow if the diamond is a GIA (or another well-certified) "I".

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of the help. I have seen H diamonds in person, but not I. I guess there is not that much of a difference. Thanks again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2009 5:31:09 PM
Author: Sam82
Thanks everyone for all of the help. I have seen H diamonds in person, but not I. I guess there is not that much of a difference. Thanks again.
Not to my eyes Sam but if you could view some in person it would settle the question for you.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 9:31:28 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Yes you can see a tint when viewing it from the pavilion. Best to see it unset, to be sure it's what you are comofratable with. I am thinking it will be fine. But the CUT is key here... Don't sacrifice on that...
2.gif
What Kaleigh said.
5.gif

I'm fairly certain you'll love it, but always best to look in person first!

LadyLilac

Rough_Rock
Well cut I colors are BEAUTIFUL!

jmw5016

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a J color solitaire. Check out the pics to see what you think. It wasn''t an issue for me. The cut should be top notch though. Good luck.

jmwring2.jpg

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Wow! What a beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results