shape
carat
color
clarity

I colored diamond with side stones?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I just purchased a 2.01 carat I color SI1 (eye clean) excellent cut GIA certified diamond. I sacrificed color for carats and now I'm scared my diamond will look yellow in normal (non-jeweler, ugly supermarket lighting). However, it has medium fluorescence (I really wanted fluorescence! so this should offset a little warmth I hope). I went through pretty pictures of your I colored rings so I feel better. And I saw the diamond in person and inspected it and it looked great. We even went in the sunlight.

My concern now is that it will have fairly large H colored stones in setting which in contrast will make the stone more yellow.

Can I see pictures of your lovely I colored diamond rings with larger stones in the setting? Preferably in ambient lighting.

I hope I made the right decision with going lower on the color for a bigger diamond!

Also, do you have any suggestions on how to see the diamond in a normal lighting before finalizing the purchase (besides going outdoors)?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have info about the stone he purchased? In general with an ideal cut stone, an I color certainly won't look ''yellow". But it will show some warmth from the side. Typically 1 color grade difference isn't very noticing, especially if both are very well cut. But it also depends on size. How big are the side stones?

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I color is definitely not showing yellow from top, H color side diamonds will blend quite nice, I would ask for I color sides if possible

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
I also went with an I, and I really don't regret it. I was so anxious, but no one (outside a jeweler) can see any color. People always guess F or G.

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Do you have info about the stone he purchased? In general with an ideal cut stone, an I color certainly won't look ''yellow". But it will show some warmth from the side. Typically 1 color grade difference isn't very noticing, especially if both are very well cut. But it also depends on size. How big are the side stones?

The side stones will be about 0.2 carats each. The stone is a GIA triple excellent but not an ideal cut so I hope it doesn't show too much warmth.

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
I also went with an I, and I really don't regret it. I was so anxious, but no one (outside a jeweler) can see any color. People always guess F or G.

That's GREAT to hear!! Do you have any pictures that I can possibly see?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
I color is definitely not showing yellow from top, H color side diamonds will blend quite nice, I would ask for I color sides if possible

Thank you! Will any color be visible from the sides of the stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The side stones will be about 0.2 carats each. The stone is a GIA triple excellent but not an ideal cut so I hope it doesn't show too much warmth.
If it's GIA certified then the color should be pretty consistent with other I colors. The only ones that tend to face up whiter are super ideal cuts due to the outstanding cutting. But I color will face up pretty white. You might see tint from the side, but how much you'll notice it depends. And .2 side stones shouldnt be an issue.

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
If it's GIA certified then the color should be pretty consistent with other I colors. The only ones that tend to face up whiter are super ideal cuts due to the outstanding cutting. But I color will face up pretty white. You might see tint from the side, but how much you'll notice it depends. And .2 side stones shouldnt be an issue.

Yes it's GIA certified! It looked white from all sides at the jeweler's and in the sunlight but I hope it still white in normal, ugly lighting

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Cinnabon1234, if you haven't finalized the sale yet (if so, disregard my comments!), I am sure there was another stone you debated on getting between the one you have reserved and another one, which I am assuming was smaller but higher color grade. If so, what was the size of that smaller stone you could get with higher color, and what was that color?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Cinnabon1234, if you haven't finalized the sale yet (if so, disregard my comments!), I am sure there was another stone you debated on getting between the one you have reserved and another one, which I am assuming was smaller but higher color grade. If so, what was the size of that smaller stone you could get with higher color, and what was that color?

We already bought the stone but I was also considering a 1.85 carat H color. That’s the one we were going to buy but although it was an SI1, there was an inclusion visible to the naked eye. Higher colors were out of our price range. We’re on a tight budget but I really wanted a big stone. 1.5 carats, for example, was too small for my liking

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t worry at all abour having H color 20pt each side stones next to your new I colored center stone. I would just make sure that the side stones are also nicely cut.

I actually have a ring with very similar proportions and all of my stones are I color as well. The center stone is 2.1ct and the side stones are 23pt each. Size is 5.5.

850B1433-AA2C-44D1-9CA1-B7986F529D0C.jpeg

Last edited:

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
I wouldn’t worry at all abour having H color 20pt each side stones next to your new I colored center stone. I would just make sure that the side stones are also nicely cut.

I actually have a ring with very similar proportions to and all of my stones are I color as well. The center stone is 2.1ct and the side stones are 23pt each. Size is 5.5.

850B1433-AA2C-44D1-9CA1-B7986F529D0C.jpeg

This ring is STUNNING!!!! I just went to the jeweler today and inspected the stone again. From the top, it is extremely white but from the side and when held at about a 45 degree angle I think I see some tint. But I'm not sure if this is just my mind playing a trick on me because I'm actively looking for yellow in the stone. Do you ever notice any tint from the side or in certain lighting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Simone that 20 point stones next to a 2 ct are not going to be a problem with one color grade difference. I think H is safer than J.

I have an I color stone and what I see from the side is affected by the colors in the surroundings. If I am in my car with tinted windows, it looks the most tinted of all! But it's nice and white in natural outdoor lighting.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is STUNNING!!!! I just went to the jeweler today and inspected the stone again. From the top, it is extremely white but from the side and when held at about a 45 degree angle I think I see some tint. But I'm not sure if this is just my mind playing a trick on me because I'm actively looking for yellow in the stone. Do you ever notice any tint from the side or in certain lighting?

Thank you! My center faces up white the majority of the time. Nonetheless, at the end of the day it is an I color, not a colorless stone, so it’s bound to show some color under some lightning conditions. However, I always say that diamonds are about compromises between the 3Cs (because cut should never be compromised) and the budget. I can tell you that I had an 1.8ct stone for a brief moment and I did appreciate crossing the 2ct mark.

You saw the stone and you loved it, so I wouldn’t stress over the color. Have you picked the setting style for your 3-stone?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
I agree with Simone that 20 point stones next to a 2 ct are not going to be a problem with one color grade difference. I think H is safer than J.

I have an I color stone and what I see from the side is affected by the colors in the surroundings. If I am in my car with tinted windows, it looks the most tinted of all! But it's nice and white in natural outdoor lighting.

Yes I agree! J is when I would definitely see color. That sounds great :)

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Thank you! My center faces up white the majority of the time. Nonetheless, at the end of the day it is an I color, not a colorless stone, so it’s bound to show some color under some lightning conditions. However, I always say that diamonds are about compromises between the 3Cs (because cut should never be compromised) and the budget. I can tell you that I had an 1.8ct stone for a brief moment and I did appreciate crossing the 2ct mark.

You saw the stone and you loved it, so I wouldn’t stress over the color. Have you picked the setting style for your 3-stone?

Yes I agree that I need to obsess over the color but to be completely honest I think I'm scared of my friends hahahah. They are very judgmental when it comes to materialistic things and they have colorless diamonds. But as long as I love it who cares!! ;-) plus I have 2 carats anyways hahaha. I attached a pic of the diamond :) I also had the option of getting 1.8 carats instead that was a better color. The jeweler kept on convincing me there was no difference but it was very clear to me what I wanted.

My setting is actually going to be a U prong setting with about 16ish small stones going around, 3/4 of the way (like below)! I saw the setting and immediately fell in love. I will also have a hidden halo.

1135-5440-4.jpg
IMG_8153.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cinnabon1234 oh I wouldn’t be scared about your friends as long as you are happy with what you have. I can’t really make out much about the stone in that photo, but you seem to love it, which is the important part! Do you have the GIA report #?

Regarding the setting, it is an interesting design, are you thinking that each stone will be 20pt? I think that might overwhelm your center stone quite a bit. Maybe you want to consider using smaller stones. I would personally do max 5pt each. But again, you need to be happy with your choice.

Last edited:

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
@cinnabon1234 oh I wouldn’t be scared about your friends as long as you are happy with what you have. I can’t really make out much about the stone in that photo, but you seem to love it, which is the important part! Do you have the GIA report #?

Regarding the setting, it is an interesting design, are you thinking that each stoel will be 20pt? I think that might overwhelm your center stone quite a bit. Maybe you want to consider using smaller stones. I would personally do max 5pt each. But again, you need to be happy with your choice.

Yes the GIA # is 2191884247. Don't run it through HCA. The results are horrific as it's not an ideal cut but my boyfriend had no idea what that was when he chose the stone so I still love it haha.

Sorry you're right. I have no idea where I got 0.2 carats each from. I thinkkk that's from when I was considering getting baguettes on both sides. So the total carat weight is about 1 carat on the setting. So it will roughly be 0.06 carats give or take. Thank you for pointing that out. I was very careful not to choose a setting that overwhelms the center stone

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
327438CC-0810-482C-AA46-A4380D31455A.jpeg D68003FA-8600-4D3E-8C83-60307C9B2FF8.jpeg E6DCD3B4-379C-4BFC-9523-FF23ABC587DC.jpeg 3388DEFF-6003-4495-A632-A49E12149A40.jpeg My center stone is I color but all my side stones are G/H color. Rarely I see a slight warmth to my stone but vary rarely. I used to have an H stone and I was worried going down to I, but no regrets. Here are some photos.

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
327438CC-0810-482C-AA46-A4380D31455A.jpeg D68003FA-8600-4D3E-8C83-60307C9B2FF8.jpeg E6DCD3B4-379C-4BFC-9523-FF23ABC587DC.jpeg 3388DEFF-6003-4495-A632-A49E12149A40.jpeg My center stone is I color but all my side stones are G/H color. Rarely I see a slight warmth to my stone but vary rarely. I used to have an H stone and I was worried going down to I, but no regrets. Here are some photos.

Your ring is absolutely stunning!! I'm thinking of maybe having it set in yellow gold instead to offset any warmth but I'm still not sure

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cinnabon1234 I wouldn’t set it in yellow gold because that would highlight the color even more, unless yellow gold is what you particularly want. My advice would be to pick a cathedral setting or a setting with more elaborate basket that can hide the pavilion where the color is seen the most.

Something like the below suggested galleries would be lovely:
525FBAD5-B53B-4FDA-85C1-83ACB12584C9.jpeg
84C1B7BD-4054-4BE8-AEE3-4EDF784AD0BB.jpeg A2C87E4B-BB5B-465F-BBED-477AA9F1EBDC.jpeg 0D22CF67-697E-4C09-BD3B-33CFD77182A9.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results