shape
carat
color
clarity

I Color compared to G Color..........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
If you looked at 2 different ACA Hearts @ Arrows stones, how much difference would there be in a I colored stone next to a G colored stone?? Would setting an I colored stone in a 18k white gold setting make the I color look more yellowish, or would setting it in white gold make it look whiter? Not only on top, but from the sides also...
I have a G colored stone (SI1) on hold, but I noticed an I color (VS1) stone, that even had a little bit better ideal scope image compared to my G. I''m trying to figure out how big the difference would be in color?? Thank You to everyone for answering my rants and questions!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I went from a G color ideal cut to an I color ideal cut. I compared the 2 side by side and had a difficult time discerning a difference. At times, I do think that I notice some color from the side, but I can't say for certain whether it's the color of the diamond I'm seeing or whether the diamond is picking up something in the environment. I never see color face up. It does bother me a bit when I think I can see some warmth (I never worried about it with my G), but going down in color did allow me to get a much larger stone. Hope this helps!!

ETA If the stones are the same size and the SI1 is totally eyeclean, I think I would stick with the G. That is, of course, assuming the cut is just as good.

ETA Here's a thread showing the 2 stones side by side. I know you can't tell much about color on a computer screen, but hopefully it will help some.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hope-youre-not-tired-of-looking-at-diamonds.32244/

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
The G scored a 1.3 on the Cut Analyzer and the I scored a .9 (the difference being in the diameter spread); so both are cut very well, though the I had no white in the Ideal scope, as the G had a little white on the ends of one side. I am going to find out this week if the G is eye clean, but if it is not, I will start to look at this I, if there isn''t a big difference.

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
So one of them is the classic ACA, and the other is the new line? That might make more difference to your eye than the color, from reading recent threads.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
What is classic compared to new line, is that the date on the AGS certificate?
The G is dated Aug. 1, 2005 and the I is dated Dec. 12, 2005.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the diamonds are side by side you may notice some color differences but in a setting in regular viewing, aka on one person''s hand vs another person''s hand, you would probably not even see a whit of difference if both stones were very well-cut. Having had a G and then an H and now a J stone, I really only see a tiny bit of color my in J stone, there was no difference for me from G to H at all...H was almost too colorless for me...maybe it''s my skin tone which is olive but I don''t absolutely love the iciest of white diamonds on my hands. So part of it may be your personal preference as well!

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
Mara, my gf has olive skin also (dark irish), i guess the diamond sitting on tan hands may make the stone look whiter? I''m not worried about how an H@A I color would face up, but how it would look from the sides. thanks again for helping me.....

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
New line vs classic ACA

Nothing to do with date, though I guess past a certain point in time, they're all classics? I could say I bought a classic and am very happy with it, but I haven't seen the new line in person, nor have I seen all that many diamonds at all, actually. So far, though, the ACA is more sparkly than any other I've seen.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
Ahh, I see. It looks to me like the G is classic line and the I is new line. Still reading threads in the link to see what this means.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
ok ,it seems like the new line performs differently than the classic line. I haven''t viewed many diamonds personally, so I can''t comment on which would be more appealing.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I compared my I to an E and could not tell the difference.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
not any difference face up, but you may notice some color difference from the side. the setting could cover much of the sides though, and you wouldn''t notice it at all.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought I was very color sensitive, but I have an F colored stone in my e-ring, and I just got I colored earrings, and I can''t see much difference in them at all. Under fluorescent lighting, the I colored stones look a bit yellower, but not as much as I thought they would be. Now the earrings are smaller (0.4 carats each) as compared to the e-ring diamond (1.03 carats), but I really thought it would be a noticeable difference in color. Also the 0.4 ones are ideal cut round diamonds, and the 1.03 is a very well-cut radiant, so it''s not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But I think with an ideal cut round an I would be a very good choice.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
why don't you go to a store and ask to see stones in G and I? And ask to see it under normal lighting, not all that crazy spot lighting they have in the showrooms. I think you will be able to see a difference side by side. But more importantly, will the I color bother you? In order to know, you have to go look at an I colored stone in person.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2006 3:26:41 PM
Author: CareBear
why don''t you go to a store and ask to see stones in G and I? And ask to see it under normal lighting, not all that crazy spot lighting they have in the showrooms. I think you will be able to see a difference side by side. But more importantly, will the I color bother you? In order to know, you have to go look at an I colored stone in person.
this is good advice, but make sure you are looking at well cut stones and that they are graded by ags or gia. there is a huge difference in the perception of color due to cut and accurate grading.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would take the G Color if the SI1 was clean enough. Some people can detect color more than others. Color is actually something that is more obvious than clarity. The first thing people notice is size, then color, THEN clarity.

Just my $.02 but if it's a clean enough SI1 with light or white inclusions (and not a large stone), then I would say let the G win. How obvious is the SI1 with the naked eye? See if you prefer the G or I.

From the side you will see more yellow in an I than a G, but again this all depends on your sensitivity to color.

Set in white gold, both should be fairly white, of course the G will look slightly more colorless. I noticed that whiter diamonds actually are set off very well against olive tones. To me, nothing looks as crisp and clean as a white diamond against tan skin. But I suppose it's all a matter of taste, and maybe you can have someone of similar complexion help you in your decision?

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I''d take the G if it''s eye-clean. I think VS1 is a bit of an overkill and I could definitely see the difference between G and I next to each other. But it''s a personal preference and I seem to be pretty color sensitive compared to others.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have an AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 stone and I just adore it. I had a 1.53 G/VS2 before. I had a chance to compare both stones side-by-side. Believe me, I scrutinized them! Yes, from the pav side, against a white piece of paper, the J is slightly "warmer" looking than the G. But my diamond is not "yellow" at all. I would call it "winter white"! Actually, I don''t really care for the icy-cold look of very "high color" diamonds against my skin (very fair and pale) anyway. I much prefer the look and the fire of this J to my old G (which was a killer stone, too.)

Anyway, here''s a photo:

GvsJa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results