shape
carat
color
clarity

I can’t choose! Which sapphire is better?

Danna

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't call it a color change, but definitely has almost a bi-color look. Very pretty, but I'd be curious what it looks like when not in sunlight. I like the video from Rogerio because it's in shade so I feel like it shows the stone looking neither its "worst" or "best " , which I like. Which color/shade do you prefer?

This is what it looks like indoors or under incandescent light https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7uq3o8egk4svjh/Video Apr 13, 1 16 42 PM.mov?dl=0

I forgot to post it! Mmmm I really am struggling to choose between them. Do you see those darker areas on Rogerio's stone? Is that some zoning?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So you are down to 5?
  1. Big 3.39ct round bi color light purple round
  2. Smaller 1.9ct round, vivid blue
  3. Lavender 3.19 oval
  4. Violet / blue, 2.03ct ceylon pear
  5. Grey blue 2.2ct montana pear
I can walk through some thoughts. Shape is across the board. Definitely consider the style of ring AND ring size you are. Some of these are pretty large stones (to me) for everyday but that is entirely up to your preference

Looking at this list, you've mentioned that you want a more saturated tone in other posts. #2 and #4 (4 trailing by a large margin) are the most saturated.

#2, #4 and #5 are silky - that means they have a glow more than they sparkle. Silk is tiny rutile inclusions that make a stone almost appear velvety. I love that effect, not everyone does. My worry is that #5 will appear dull with both the silk + grey.

I'd guess that #1 will be the sparkliest. It also has the bi color feature that you like. It seems to have less gray when compared to #3, the oval.

#3 and #5 really are going to present as grey / silvery in many lights. You have to decide if you like that.

#1 and #3 are going to be largest on the hand. #3 is also a aussie vendor, which might feel more comfortable to you and would probably be the only stone you could simply return if you don't like it. You also described liking "icy" tones and this one jumps out as an icy color.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
To further compare size (https://www.diamdb.com/ is the link) - this is a size 6.5 US

#1 (big bi color round) and #2 (vivid smaller round)
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.51.03 AM.png

#4 (purple/blue pear) and #5 (montana greyish pear)

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.50.04 AM.png

#1 (big bi color round) and #3 (greyish oval)
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.48.45 AM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. I would prefer the gemfix pear over both of these, but thats bc my personal preference is blue. What YOU like matters more than what anyone else likes :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ps. I would prefer the gemfix pear over both of these, but thats bc my personal preference is blue. What YOU like matters more than what anyone else likes :)

Ditto both comments. I like the big round over the oval.

But above both, I like the small vivid round from Gemocean and then the blue pear from Gemfix (not the Montana)

These are also just my preferences - I like bright, punchy colors!

Danna

Rough_Rock
So you are down to 5?
  1. Big 3.39ct round bi color light purple round
  2. Smaller 1.9ct round, vivid blue
  3. Lavender 3.19 oval
  4. Violet / blue, 2.03ct ceylon pear
  5. Grey blue 2.2ct montana pear
I can walk through some thoughts. Shape is across the board. Definitely consider the style of ring AND ring size you are. Some of these are pretty large stones (to me) for everyday but that is entirely up to your preference

Looking at this list, you've mentioned that you want a more saturated tone in other posts. #2 and #4 (4 trailing by a large margin) are the most saturated.

#2, #4 and #5 are silky - that means they have a glow more than they sparkle. Silk is tiny rutile inclusions that make a stone almost appear velvety. I love that effect, not everyone does. My worry is that #5 will appear dull with both the silk + grey.

I'd guess that #1 will be the sparkliest. It also has the bi color feature that you like. It seems to have less gray when compared to #3, the oval.

#3 and #5 really are going to present as grey / silvery in many lights. You have to decide if you like that.

#1 and #3 are going to be largest on the hand. #3 is also a aussie vendor, which might feel more comfortable to you and would probably be the only stone you could simply return if you don't like it. You also described liking "icy" tones and this one jumps out as an icy color.

Hey! This comment actually helped me make my decision. I decided to purchase Rogerio's stone! It really came down to the round purple Burmese and Rogerio's stone. Ultimately, I really adored the blue colour and colour change feature of that stone. I also kind of like the bits of zoning present! It was also a lot cheaper than the round purple stone!

Thank you so so much for all your advice. Once it arrived (hopefully within the next few days) I'll take a photo and upload it.

A big of a setback though - the jeweller I was working with has refused to continue making me engagement ring given that I purchased a new stone (not from their inventory). They never told me about this and I had no idea this would even be an issue. They said their insurance doesn't cover other stones, yet they will remodel stones from old rings? Doesn't make sense. Is this normal practice?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! This comment actually helped me make my decision. I decided to purchase Rogerio's stone! It really came down to the round purple Burmese and Rogerio's stone. Ultimately, I really adored the blue colour and colour change feature of that stone. I also kind of like the bits of zoning present! It was also a lot cheaper than the round purple stone!

Thank you so so much for all your advice. Once it arrived (hopefully within the next few days) I'll take a photo and upload it.

A big of a setback though - the jeweller I was working with has refused to continue making me engagement ring given that I purchased a new stone (not from their inventory). They never told me about this and I had no idea this would even be an issue. They said their insurance doesn't cover other stones, yet they will remodel stones from old rings? Doesn't make sense. Is this normal practice?

They should have told you. Yes, it's common for some jewelers to refuse to work w outside stones bc of insurance issues and not wanting to be "liable" if the stone is damaged. But again they should have told you :(

However, there are many jewelers. David klass is highly regarded on this forum, so you could reach out to him.

Danna

Rough_Rock

But above both, I like the small vivid round from Gemocean and then the blue pear from Gemfix (not the Montana)

I received the stone. I'm so disappointed, it's absolutely not what I expected. There is quite a lot of zoning and it is very lacking in lustre. I could cry! I'm just hoping and praying the returns process will be easy. On the other hand, I ordered two others stones for fun and collecting and they're so beautiful!!!!

Danna

Rough_Rock

SAPPHIORE.jpeg

Danna

Rough_Rock

I'm on the hunt - AGAIN. I'm seriously considering purchasing your stone that has the beautiful vivid blue colour. The only issue with the silk is that I am worried it will be lacklustre. He sent me a video of the stone at night in dim light, the colour was still fantastic but it did look very velvety.

This is one of my other options:

I know it's not blue, but the colour saturation is so vivid. I've seen it in dimlight also, and the colour sat is still fantastic. On top of that, the lustre is amazing. The only issue is I'm not sure it's exactly a pad, which doesn't bother me. I see hints of orange, but I worry these would be completely invisible once set!

Any opinions? I've officially decided to sacrifice size for great colour and lustre!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I’m so sorry you don’t like the stone. It really is very grey as suspected. Now you know it’s not your thing!

Is it the color or cut? It’s hard to see much in indoor lighting. Sapphires can be shifty

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm on the hunt - AGAIN. I'm seriously considering purchasing your stone that has the beautiful vivid blue colour. The only issue with the silk is that I am worried it will be lacklustre. He sent me a video of the stone at night in dim light, the colour was still fantastic but it did look very velvety.

This is one of my other options:

I know it's not blue, but the colour saturation is so vivid. I've seen it in dimlight also, and the colour sat is still fantastic. On top of that, the lustre is amazing. The only issue is I'm not sure it's exactly a pad, which doesn't bother me. I see hints of orange, but I worry these would be completely invisible once set!

Any opinions? I've officially decided to sacrifice size for great colour and lustre!

Can you share these extra photos you are referring too? I think it will be helpful - the videos will tend to be ideal lighting and keep in mind he’s in a tropical location where the sun is very bright!

I like more vivid pads - definitely favors pink but I see orangey pink...but am no expert on pads and they seem very tricky. I’m not quite sure but something seems off with the center of the stone but maybe someone else on the thread can chime in - I worry it might go dark in some lights and is cut too deep? Maybe a nailhead. It’s hard to tell - please share other photos!

And you’re certain it’s available? The video is over a year old

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share these extra photos you are referring too? I think it will be helpful - the videos will tend to be ideal lighting and keep in mind he’s in a tropical location where the sun is very bright!

I like more vivid pads - definitely favors pink but I see orangey pink...but am no expert on pads and they seem very tricky. I’m not quite sure but something seems off with the center of the stone but maybe someone else on the thread can chime in - I worry it might go dark in some lights and is cut too deep? Maybe a nailhead. It’s hard to tell - please share other photos!

As per the comments on IG they stone is not available

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This doesn't look like color zoning at all to me but like extinction. Likewise with the pear on your first post, you mentioned color zoning but all I saw in that was concentration of color at the tip, as is common with pear cut stones. Half and half extinction like this is very common with oval stones, and is a completely different thing than color zoning (which is different bands of color in the stone itself, as opposed to the light reacting differently based on the faceting of the cut).

With what you say about "lacking in luster," have you seen many sapphires before? They don't sparkle the same way diamonds do.

Danna

Rough_Rock
This doesn't look like color zoning at all to me but like extinction. Likewise with the pear on your first post, you mentioned color zoning but all I saw in that was concentration of color at the tip, as is common with pear cut stones. Half and half extinction like this is very common with oval stones, and is a completely different thing than color zoning (which is different bands of color in the stone itself, as opposed to the light reacting differently based on the faceting of the cut).

With what you say about "lacking in luster," have you seen many sapphires before? They don't sparkle the same way diamonds do.

Hi, thanks for your input! My apologies, I meant extinction. I mixed up the terms zoning and extinction.

I understand they're not like diamonds, but this stone really has no lustre at all and looks very dull, even in sunlight. The lighter section does sparkle, but the darker part barely does.

Danna

Rough_Rock

Here is a link to a google drive file I of all videos I received of the stone.

It does seem suspect that the stone is still available after a year, but he's told me it is still available. They were in talks with a buyer who hasn't proceeded. This is that same vendor with the beautiful blue stone you really liked.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Here is a link to a google drive file I of all videos I received of the stone.

It does seem suspect that the stone is still available after a year, but he's told me it is still available. They were in talks with a buyer who hasn't proceeded. This is that same vendor with the beautiful blue stone you really liked.

Gotcha. It’s a pretty stone, but the orange is really...not very present. It’s more of a bubblegum pink to me. If you look for it - it’s got the tiniest hint of orange. But I do like it. It’s not “KAPOW” in your face saturated. The blue sapphire is far more vivid to me.

But, the blue will not sparkle as much - it will glow.

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry the sapphire from Rogerio didn't turn out to be what you wanted. I'm curious why his stones are described as precision cut when a lot of them have windows?

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Last one so you don’t feel bombarded - it’s a curve ball because it doesn’t meet your size requirements at all.

But the color - OH THE COLOR - is to me, an ideal blue. Intensely vivid, a touch of silk... I am wholly biased because I frankly would buy this stone if I had an inch of budgetary leeway...it’s heated, $1850 USD and that includes shipping (at least to the US)

6D6BE00F-2C12-456E-B699-EEDF1B22DA5D.png
5BC78232-748A-4891-9829-0C163B95E581.jpeg

The vendor is based in Sri Lanka. I’ve purchased from him, he’s been delightful to work with...but returns would be extremely difficult

I LOOOOVVVEE this stone. That color is to die for!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I received the stone. I'm so disappointed, it's absolutely not what I expected. There is quite a lot of zoning and it is very lacking in lustre. I could cry! I'm just hoping and praying the returns process will be easy. On the other hand, I ordered two others stones for fun and collecting and they're so beautiful!!!!

:(
I've been in that situation before. Hopefully you'll find your dream stone soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results