shape
carat
color
clarity

I asked The Diamond Guy ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, during the process of attempting to become informed about diamonds or actually, more accurately, trying to find out about whether or not the pricing on a particular diamond, 1.21 F Si2, I was interested in was fair ... (the educating myself part came after) ... , I came across the Diamond Guy.

I asked him about pricing for a diamond I was interested in he came back with a figure that threw me for a loop.
Just curious as to whether anyone else feels as though his response was accurate or even realistic for an online or B&M vendor.
The price I was quoted at the store was $6,600 - which may have been high, however, I think the Diamond Guy''s quote was way too low.

If you think his quote is realistic, would you please be so kind as to explain why/how?

My question was as follows ...

Q How much should I expect to pay for a round brilliant EGL certified diamond with the following specs?

1.21 carat, ideal cut
F color,
Si2 clarity
Total depth 58.7%
Table 62%
Girdle Medium faceted
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence None
Length to width ratio 1.0
Crown height 13%
Pavilion depth 42%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hi Sacha,

I wouldn''t pay more than $2,900.00.

Fred

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do a search on here for him, you will see that much of what he says is crap. I wouldn't listen to him personally...

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks neatfreak. Didn''t listen b/c it just seemed way out in left field, however, I was more curious about "how", if anyway possible, anyone would be able to justify that type of discrepancy?

Basically, is he just channelling the prices he quotes from the psychic hotline or is there some kind of credible resource he could refer to that supports his numbers?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 3:53:01 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Thanks neatfreak. Didn''t listen b/c it just seemed way out in left field, however, I was more curious about ''how'', if anyway possible, anyone would be able to justify that type of discrepancy?

Basically, is he just channelling the prices he quotes from the psychic hotline or is there some kind of credible resource he could refer to that supports his numbers?

Lol. With Fred you never really know...but my guess is that he was giving you the lowest lowball number he could (i.e., assuming that an EGL Si2 was really an I2, etc.) to try and reel you in so you''d buy from him. But that is just a guess!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
So, (forgetting the D. Guy) what does anyone think the bottom line $$ for this stone is--taking everything into consideration?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i give this stone a big fat no. and really it could be worth ~$3k because it is probably not cut very well. also an EGL SI2 could be an I1 depending on what lab graded it. fred's rep may be a bit iffy, but sometimes he is close about values.

run a pricing comparison up above and see what you might expect to pay for a stone like this, something similar in 1.20 F SI2 EGL is listed for as low as $3450.

NO WAY would i pay $5k or $6k for this stone when you could get an excellent cut for that same price. yikes!

some comparisons for excellently cut stones.

https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?sh=88&id=108&prc=4900
1.10 F SI2 Excellent Cut
$4900

https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?sh=88&id=2525&prc=5921
1.20 F SI2 Excellent Cut
$5900

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Agreed ... I''m no longer considering this stone at all ... Thanks to all the information we have gained throughout our shopping around process. This stone was being considered before I realized the importance or better yet, components, of quality cut.

I have moved on to my beautiful 1.28 E VS2, GIA graded stone that is absolutely exquisite. I hope the bf will be completing this purchase in the near future ... fingers crossed.

I just thought I would put the question out there since the price differential seemed huge to me ... If this is a realistic price then no wonder there is gazillions to be made in the jewelry business!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results