shape
carat
color
clarity

I am thinking of going back to RB, name change needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I posted about how I was not happy with the center stone in my 3 stone ring. It just looks dead to me. I have been looking at other asschers as well. I always thought I wanted one and have been looking at new ones. DH gave his blessing to change the stone since the store has a 100% trade in policy. But I think the issue is I miss having a sparkly round brilliant.

My origninal ring is a .81 rb. Not too well cut but I still really liked it. DH wanted to get me something bigger for our 10 year and I kept talking about 3 stones and asschers and so I got this 3 stone ring.

BUT, I am thinking of going in a totally different direction.

I am thinking of gettting a RB, ideal cut in a platinum setting with a baguette on each side. Like the tiffany style. I am thinking about 1.5-1.6 ct size for the RB. I think in the setting I have in mind it would really pop.

I saw a Vatche setting like this and it looks just like the tiffany style. I saw it on dscassi but did not like the look of the shank. A friend of mine has the vatche setting and it looks just like tiffany. I must admit I have ring envy over her ring. I asked her if she would feel weird about me getting the same setting and she said it would be a complement. Besides, she has an oval so the ring would have a different look.

So now my search for the perfect round :) I think I am going to go with F or G color. I like white. My original stone is an F and it looks very white to me. I am going to stay in the VS1-VS2 range. My original was a VVS1 and knowng what I know now, I think that is a waste of money to pay for the VVS1 when a VS1 or VS2 would do fine.

Hmm, I guess I''ll have to change my username LOL.

Too bad I can''t afford to keep BOTH!

Meanwhile, I am in the process of deciding how to reset my original .81 round diamond.

When deciding what stones to bring in to look at (the vendor is not local), is GIA or AGS better? Or should I give preference to one over the other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are in much the same boat! I am upgrading from a 1ct. RB F color, but it is not ideal cut. I tried to go to H color, but it was too much of a jump. I am now pretty settled (I HOPE!) on G VS1. You'll find that the F-G VS stones are pricey above 1.5. I was lucky to find a hearts and arrows H VS2 just under 1.5 (1.44) for a good price, but those seem to be hard to come by.

Your original stone is great for a pendant or could be matched with another diamond for some very nice sized studs! I'd ask for GIA and AGS certs. Both are fine. Good luck and let us know what you find!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 10:55:15 AM
Author:asscherisme

When deciding what stones to bring in to look at (the vendor is not local), is GIA or AGS better? Or should I give preference to one over the other.
Both labs are reputable and of comparable strictness with color and clarity. The differences lie in the information provided on their reports.

An AGS report will have all major proportion measurements. Their 'top shelf' report is the DQD (diamond quality document) which also includes a grade for cut and direct assessment of the light performance of the individual diamond. The other AGS report is the DQR (diamond quality report). It provides all major proportion measurements but does not assign a cut grade or light performance information. 'Ideal' is the top grade possible on DQDs (light performance, proportions, polish/sym). 'Excellent' is the top grade possible on DQRs (polish/sym).

New GIA reports provide major and minor proportions measurements, reported in a rounded form. These are helpful but the rounded numbers are not precise enough for HCA evaluation and some of the technical discussions PS regulars like to engage in. The top GIA cut grade of excellent is also significantly wider than the AGS' top grade of ideal.

With any diamond it is helpful to have an additional, independent Sarin/Helium type report to serve as verification for the numbers on the document (though we always consider the lab's numbers those of 'authority'). If you will not be seeing the diamond live additional items such as magnified photos, a reflector photo like ideal-scope, etc., are helpful.

After your adventure perhaps your username can be 'brilliantisme' (?)
3.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think your asscher ring is just gorgeous, but I understand where you are coming from. I had a similiar experience with princess cuts and earrings. When my husband agreed to let me get new stud earrings for my birthday I thought I just had to have princess cuts for something different. While they were very pretty and sparkly I was never truly happy with my decision (especially after finding pricescope). My jeweler came up with a pair of larger ideal cut round brilliant diamonds for studs so I traded them in and have never looked back! I even went down in color and clarity from F VS2 on the princess cut studs to H SI2 on the round brilliants to gain more size. To me the color is not as important with round diamonds as with fancy shapes. Good luck with whatever you choose and maybe we can call you rbsareme!!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
John, brilliantisme. Cute. Or even better yet I could be Iambrilliant :)

I think I''m driving my husband nuts. One funny thing about strategy (not that I planned this, just an observation) is that by talking about it a lot with my husband he pretty much told me do what I want and show him the end result. He just wants me to enjoy it since I will be wearing it. And when I mentioned it will cost a lot more since I will also need a new setting he said, whatever. You know what is best. He just made me promise to stay below 1.75 becuase he thinks bigger than that would be a safety risk (we live in a very safe area by the way but I can see his concern) since I am carting around kids all day.

So my new project :)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 6:59:49 PM
Author: asscherisme

John, brilliantisme. Cute. Or even better yet I could be Iambrilliant :)

I think I''m driving my husband nuts. One funny thing about strategy (not that I planned this, just an observation) is that by talking about it a lot with my husband he pretty much told me do what I want and show him the end result. He just wants me to enjoy it since I will be wearing it. And when I mentioned it will cost a lot more since I will also need a new setting he said, whatever. You know what is best. He just made me promise to stay below 1.75 becuase he thinks bigger than that would be a safety risk (we live in a very safe area by the way but I can see his concern) since I am carting around kids all day.

So my new project :)
Brilliant is him, too.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results