shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m so smart. I think lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My knee isn’t better. It’s terrible. I’m in pain all the time. I’m severely allergic to titanium, et all. I won’t get a metal implant in my body and all ceramic are not FDA approved here, but they have been in use for years in Europe. So I’m going to try platelet rich plasma and stem cells (out of pocket, the largest quote was $11,000 for the Regenexx procedure). Obviously, I am especially grateful I can afford this to try with no guarantees of it working.

In the meantime, my ortho surgeon has a partial ceramic non allergy part where the thigh bone part is made of zirconium, which is similar to titanium. I’m not happy and it’s a huge unknown if I would react to it or not. I’m also in contact with the ceramic parts rep in the USA and am picking her brain about a timetable for FDA approval here.

At any rate, I got on Etsy and lo and behold, I found in The Netherlands a jeweler who will make me a 100% zirconium ladies band so I can wear it on my pointer finger for a while to see if I react.

Will this prove or solve anything? I have no idea, but for $56 dollars I figured it was worth a shot. Without pricescope, this would never have occurred to me.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds clever!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your style! You can only try & see what happens. And if you break out with a reaction, come & stay with me in England & get yourself a ceramic joint fitted whilst you're here!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you reactive to titanium?

I thought it was ultra-inert?! lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your style! You can only try & see what happens. And if you break out with a reaction, come & stay with me in England & get yourself a ceramic joint fitted whilst you're here!

Seriously, I may take you up on that offer!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you reactive to titanium?

I thought it was ultra-inert?! lol

Yeah. Joke’s on me. Finally the scientific literature is starting to very slowly acknowledge that titanium is not inert in some people!

I had a 2x failed 100% titanium dental implant— I’m probably in the literature lol. Oral surgeon said he had never seen a reaction like that— my body was actively pushing the implant out (and the pain, oh my the searing mind numbing pain). First try I made it 3 days. Second try (9 months later) I made it 1.5 days.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. Joke’s on me. Finally the scientific literature is starting to very slowly acknowledge that titanium is not inert in some people!

I had a 2x failed 100% titanium dental implant— I’m probably in the literature lol. Oral surgeon said he had never seen a reaction like that— my body was actively pushing the implant out (and the pain, oh my the searing mind numbing pain). First try I made it 3 days. Second try (9 months later) I made it 1.5 days.
Dayummm... that is bad news! :(

Hope you can get a resolution!

EDIT: Hang on... don't they do gold teeth? Perhaps you could go platinum for extra bling? :D lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, it’s bad. My ortho surgeon’s eyes went giant when he asked me how long I made it before implant failure. I think he was expecting a few months and when I said 3 days he was like uh oh.

And then I bought K tape and taped my knee and now I have a rash in the shape of the K tape on my skin o_O

I’m a special snowflake.

I’m banking on and praying the stem cells work. They have to take it from bone marrow in my hip though, and the Regenexx procedure will also give me liposuction to take it from fat as well.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Science is pretty amazing right now, I'll cross my fingers things do work out well (and quickly) for you :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Science is pretty amazing right now, I'll cross my fingers things do work out well (and quickly) for you :)

Yes, that was the plan to somehow buy a few years because the surgeon did say that metal allergies are “current topics” (he was at a convention in the spring and it was a topic).

Other than that, @Alex T might truly have a medical tourist :cool2: I’ve been meaning to go to England for years now...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd guess that if you do get some unhappy reaction from the ring, it will be a serious sign against having anything further done with the same material; no reaction will mean not much - since you'd be so much more exposed to an implant.

I wouldn't know to recommend Granada for what you need - this is not the UK (although a surprising % of the population is British!), however, healthcare certainly looks too good for the non-existent local economy on which it does not depend.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that was the plan to somehow buy a few years because the surgeon did say that metal allergies are “current topics” (he was at a convention in the spring and it was a topic).

Other than that, @Alex T might truly have a medical tourist :cool2: I’ve been meaning to go to England for years now...
If you're over this part of the world, let us know so we can arrange something ;-) :))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're over this part of the world, let us know so we can arrange something ;-) :))

That would be fun. If I can get my knee up and running, I’d like to cross the pond, absolutely.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

EDIT: Hang on... don't they do gold teeth? Perhaps you could go platinum for extra bling? :D lol

I actually brought that up lol. Can I get an 18k White gold knee. I don’t react to that. And most platinums I’m good with, but once I did react to platinum stud stems.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry your in pain @whitewater. I cant imagine having to deal with chronic pain like a lot of people have to :(. My mom just had both her
knees replaced in the past couple of years and she is doing well. Of course, she's not allergic to any of it. I hope you find you can tolerate the
zirconium or that the US approves ceramic very soon.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually brought that up lol. Can I get an 18k White gold knee. I don’t react to that. And most platinums I’m good with, but once I did react to platinum stud stems.
You are officially weird ;-) :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two of the top hospitals worldwide are in my ex hometown in Germany. If you need help, let me know

Absolutely. Germany was up there in my ideas. Thanks

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1AAAD125-FE55-497A-A734-ACB7BD35F24B.jpeg

It’s finished!! :love: I didn’t tell the artist about my metal allergies... didn’t want him to feel bad. It’s a size 10 for my giant right hand pointer finger.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about your knee - I was going to say countries like Switzerland, France and Germany have incredible medical facilities perhaps you might have to travel to one of them and have the procedure done with a ceramic part.

https://www.mypremiumeurope.com/top-private-hospitals/orthopedics.htm

The Swiss and German ones on that list are known around the world as some of the best. Other countries;

https://bookimed.com/article/top-10-centers-for-orthopedic-surgery-worldwide/

Thank you for the links!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd guess that if you do get some unhappy reaction from the ring, it will be a serious sign against having anything further done with the same material; no reaction will mean not much - since you'd be so much more exposed to an implant.

I wouldn't know to recommend Granada for what you need - this is not the UK (although a surprising % of the population is British!), however, healthcare certainly looks too good for the non-existent local economy on which it does not depend.

Thanks. The ceramic person I was talking to is the ceramic supplier who said they would make any part the ortho wanted, and that they have tried to rally for a knee study in the US, but there has been no interest. (I assume because I’m a subset of a subset basically).

I really hope the PRP and stem cells work. I have the Idaho get together in July, camping for a week in August and a birthday cruise with friends in September. I’m getting so down about things. I can feel my knee “flopping” around in there because everything is messed up.

Sorry to be Debbie downer today. I’m not having a good day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I can feel my knee “flopping” around in there... I’m not having a good day.

If I fealt a knee flopping I'd have a bad year, nevermind one day ,(

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I fealt a knee flopping I'd have a bad year, nevermind one day ,(

Thanks, I do see a chiropractor who does fascia stuff to my knee. It feels amazing while he does it but it doesn’t last. He said it might last longer as we do it. At least I get relief for 30 mins, and insurance pays lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results