carat
color
clarity

I’m buying a 1.5ct Moissanite RBC from August Vintage

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics to follow! Anyone else bought one?

Edited to add: got cold feet. I’m going to sleep on it.

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, you two! How does it compare to other Moissanite? And is it diamond-y? It looks great in your pics!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only bought AV moissys so I can't compare to other brands. It depends on how you describe diamond-y. To me it looks different but still nice. I'm keeping this ring especially for travel but as I've overspent lately, I'm considering selling my 4.5 ct equiv emerald cut moissy.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect to most of the population it would look diamond-y. I think to really tell you have to really know what you’re looking for.
If starfacet hadnt told me her mrb ring was moissy, I’m not sure I would’ve ever suspected it wasn’t a diamond.
While lovely, the emerald cut was a different story because it was just way more rainbowy than emerald cut diamonds are- but as you’re after an mrb, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Order one and see what you think! Worst case scenario you send it back. Pretty low risk.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I've only bought AV moissys so I can't compare to other brands. It depends on how you describe diamond-y. To me it looks different but still nice. I'm keeping this ring especially for travel but as I've overspent lately, I'm considering selling my 4.5 ct equiv emerald cut moissy.

May I ask what color range your moissy is?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC from August Vintage. It looks pretty diamond like to me. I've had a few people gush over it, in fact, because they believed it was a diamond. :D Have you checked out the August Vintage instagram page? He has quite a few pics and videos of these moissanites (some even comparing to diamonds).

I think I should add a note here. I am not a diamond snob. I don't know enough about diamonds to hang out in the "rocky talk" forum and I'm too lazy to learn much about them (I'm way more into CS gems). :shock: I have had a few diamond rings and they are lovely and they sparkle. I have a cushion diamond from Henry Daussi as well and I compared the two. They looked pretty darn similar to me. I actually liked my moissy more because of the gorgeous faceting. I am part of the general population that sees a diamond looking gem on someone's finger and automatically assumes it's a diamond. That's it...my 2 cents. ;)2

ETA: I just realized this thread was from freaking May. :oops: :lol:

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! It's Stuller!!

Did you get a colorless or near colorless color? I'm contemplating getting a round ideal cut from his as well. Do you have more pictures to show up? I tried looking for more pics and videos but cant' seem to find them on youtube:(

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
C3CE095D-30BA-4873-9002-92EF1509BBC2.jpeg 5B766817-AC56-4A2F-AC8A-E381009C8B90.jpeg I’ve been considering an AVC Moissanite. I saw this one on DK’s Instagram and it looks different to all the other ones I’ve seen. I took screen grabs from the video. It appears cloudy.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
C3CE095D-30BA-4873-9002-92EF1509BBC2.jpeg 5B766817-AC56-4A2F-AC8A-E381009C8B90.jpeg I’ve been considering an AVC Moissanite. I saw this one on DK’s Instagram and it looks different to all the other ones I’ve seen. I took screen grabs from the video. It appears cloudy.

Maybe I’m nuts, but to me all the moissanite videos on his IG look cloudy. I can always spot them. And the description never says diamond so if that’s omitted you know it’s moissanite. And I plan on getting moissanite so I’m not bashing it by any means! I just find that very interesting because it seems like it’s only on his page.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock

OY!:eek2: That is a terrible representation of a Moissanite! It looks VERY cloudy. Wow!:shock: I am shocked that they couldn't get better glamor shots than that!:doh:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m hoping this ring belongs to a PS’er so they can come and tell us how amazing it is in person. Here is the video

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkF2-0NFPS_/?taken-by=davidklassjewelry

I believe DK’s videos are to show the workmanship of his jewellery rather than the sparkle of the stones. I was just surprised to see how this premium cut moissanite looked here.

llc328

Rough_Rock
I’m hoping this ring belongs to a PS’er so they can come and tell us how amazing it is in person. Here is the video

I believe DK’s videos are to show the workmanship of his jewellery rather than the sparkle of the stones. I was just surprised to see how this premium cut moissanite looked here.

@Maisie
that is my ring......The AVC moissanite stone not cloudy at all..... Its Clears and beautifully Faceted..... Jonathons Stones are worth Every penny!!!... Possibly it had smudges from someones fingers right before the video?...... I can assure anyone @Rhino that Jonathon's Moissanite stones are 100% clear and Beautiful!!!! ....here is a link to Jonathons instagram the day he got my stone in.. it was rainy but you can see how beautifully clear my stone is..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHrwKOh_nr/?hl=en&taken-by=augustvintage

edited to add that Jonathon was FANTASTIC to work with.... He answered every question, every email ( and I sent SOOOOOO many) .......always there with a response and help..... 100% best customer service ever purchasing a Custom Cut Moissanite Stone...

Last edited:

llc328

Rough_Rock

Yes.. I agree to this statement
"I believe DK’s videos are to show the workmanship of his jewellery rather than the sparkle of the stones. "

llc328

Rough_Rock
Maybe I’m nuts, but to me all the moissanite videos on his IG look cloudy. I can always spot them. And the description never says diamond so if that’s omitted you know it’s moissanite. And I plan on getting moissanite so I’m not bashing it by any means! I just find that very interesting because it seems like it’s only on his page.

@michellelynn9175 @Maisie ..... maise quoted it perfectly... "I believe DK’s videos are to show the workmanship of his jewellery rather than the sparkle of the stones"

llc328

Rough_Rock

@Maisie
Please see this thread as well as @elle_71125 also owns a Stone from AVC Moissanite from Jonathon.. It really makes me sad to hear many think the stone is cloudy.... I assure everyone its just the Video.....here is Elles thread..

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-vintage-cushion-ring-by-david-klass.240006/

her stone is what made me make my purchase after seeing how Stunning her stobe was... and mine is JUST as Beautiful.....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@michellelynn9175 @Maisie ..... maise quoted it perfectly... "I believe DK’s videos are to show the workmanship of his jewellery rather than the sparkle of the stones"

Yup, this .DKs pics and videos are to show workmanship, not to show the stones themselves. If you look at his IG, diamond stones look very similar. He isn't the best videographer, but his work in person is excellent

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought moissanite was clear though. That looks fine sometimes but cloudy others in that video. Shouldn't it look clear at all angles like a diamond or does all moissanite look cloudy depending on angle and light?
With my diamond sometimes it is blurry in pics, but I have never seen it look bad like that moissanite does in some of those angles? I know moissanite isnt a diamond but a stone that turns cloudy would be a turn off for a lot of people

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Maisie
that is my ring......The AVC moissanite stone not cloudy at all..... Its Clears and beautifully Faceted..... Jonathons Stones are worth Every penny!!!... Possibly it had smudges from someones fingers right before the video?...... I can assure anyone @Rhino that Jonathon's Moissanite stones are 100% clear and Beautiful!!!! ....here is a link to Jonathons instagram the day he got my stone in.. it was rainy but you can see how beautifully clear my stone is..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHrwKOh_nr/?hl=en&taken-by=augustvintage

edited to add that Jonathon was FANTASTIC to work with.... He answered every question, every email ( and I sent SOOOOOO many) .......always there with a response and help..... 100% best customer service ever purchasing a Custom Cut Moissanite Stone...

Thank you for posting. It’s good to know that video isn’t a true representation of how your stone looks. Jonathon is an awesome person. I’ve known him for years. He is very committed to his work so I knew there would be a reason why your stone looked that way. Seeing @elle_71125 thread on her beautiful ring was what made me want one of my own :kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maisie
Please see this thread as well as @elle_71125 also owns a Stone from AVC Moissanite from Jonathon.. It really makes me sad to hear many think the stone is cloudy.... I assure everyone its just the Video.....here is Elles thread..

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-vintage-cushion-ring-by-david-klass.240006/

her stone is what made me make my purchase after seeing how Stunning her stobe was... and mine is JUST as Beautiful.....

It’s definitely just David’s video / lighting that make this moissy look blurry. @Rhino is taking the videos and pics to show off the beauty of the gem whereas David is taking them to show the beauty of his settings. Nothing wrong with that since each is marketing a different thing. :D Even I was concerned about the stand alone pics David sent me. They made the moissy look a little cloudy and blotchy. I had seen it in person so I knew that wasn’t the case but it still made me anxious....right up until I opened the package from DK and saw her in real life. I’ve taken a million pics and that moissy always looks awesome! :kiss2:

I have absolutely no doubt that your new moissy is freaking stunning in person. Not only is it huge (so jelly :mrgreen2:) but it’s also one of August Vintages new moissanites and they are incredible. :love: Have you posted your pics anywhere? I’d love to see them.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I thought moissanite was clear though. That looks fine sometimes but cloudy others in that video. Shouldn't it look clear at all angles like a diamond or does all moissanite look cloudy depending on angle and light?
With my diamond sometimes it is blurry in pics, but I have never seen it look bad like that moissanite does in some of those angles? I know moissanite isnt a diamond but a stone that turns cloudy would be a turn off for a lot of people

Mossanite is clear and doesn't look cloudy unless it gets dirty. Even diamonds will look cloudy if they get dirt trapped underneath them. To my experience any gem will. But Moissanites are not generally cloudy if they are clean so that is why I was shocked to see one displayed like that in a photo or video but what everyone has said here makes perfect sense. Besides it is so difficult to photograph or take a video of Moissanite or Diamonds that show their true to life beauty as seen in person.=)2

FWIW, I think @swaye2010 has purchased one from a different vendor that also looks beautiful and is not cloudy..

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I read that stones with double refraction, like moissy and zircons, are difficult to get good photos of as the double refraction of the stones can result in a blurriness in photos/video. But as we know in real life, you don't see that.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Mossanite is clear and doesn't look cloudy unless it gets dirty. Even diamonds will look cloudy if they get dirt trapped underneath them. To my experience any gem will. But Moissanites are not generally cloudy if they are clean so that is why I was shocked to see one displayed like that in a photo or video but what everyone has said here makes perfect sense. Besides it is so difficult to photograph or take a video of Moissanite or Diamonds that show their true to life beauty as seen in person.=)2

FWIW, I think @swaye2010 has purchased one from a different vendor that also looks beautiful and is not cloudy..

The stones are not cloudy at all. My moissanites photograph with my iPhone the same as my diamonds. He is using a soft filter on that lense probably to reduce the glare from stones so he can get a good picture of the setting and metal work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results