shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge difference in size for 3.00ct and 3.30ct round?

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't been on PS for a while...life happened....but I'm back! :)

My bf and I have been talking about marriage, and he really wants to get me a 3ct. round engagement ring. There is a center stone of 3.30ct that he's considering. I've tried on a 3ct before and it looked quite large on my finger, but would .30 be a huge difference in size compared to a 3ct?

My ring size is 2.25 (I know, freakishly small!)

TIA~~~

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luckyhonu|1445831602|3942154 said:

My bf and I have been talking about marriage, and he really wants to get me a 3ct. round engagement ring. There is a center stone of 3.30ct that he's considering. I've tried on a 3ct before and it looked quite large on my finger, but would .30 be a huge difference in size compared to a 3ct?

TIA~~~
Is that possible?... :bigsmile: A well cut 3.30ct is 9.65mm in diameter.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
if you google "diamond size on finger" there's a website that lets you compare different sizes on the finger (with your own ring size, etc).

it won't let me post the link here.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1445841496|3942174 said:

TIA~~~
Is that possible?... :bigsmile: A well cut 3.30ct is 9.65mm in diameter.

Yes I have super small fingers. My pinky ring size is 3/4!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if this is the site to which Veltiesmom was referring, however, I find the following site to be useful in visualizing different-sized diamonds.

The smallest ring size is 3 (US sizes), but it might give you an idea. Please note that you can adjust the finger length.

You probably already know that diamonds of the same weight (carats) can have different diameters, so its best to input the diameter if you have a specific stone in mind.

http://www.diamdb.com/compare/3ct-round-vs-3.3ct-round/

Happy shopping! :)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator, please don't try to circumvent our policies. No websites with affiliate links allowed**

Yes, that will look huge on your finger, but I doubt .3 will really make it that much crazier.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
. I've tried on a 3ct before and it looked quite large on my finger, but would .30 be a huge difference in size compared to a 3ct?

luckyhonu,

I think the first reaction most anyone would have is "well, how big is the diameter of 3 ct. diamond vs. the 3.3? That will tell you." Understandable answer and not entirely wrong, but there is more to consider.

Every proportion of the diamond (Table Size, Crown Angles, Pavilion Angle, Girdle Size, Lower Girdle Facet Length, Depth and others) can play a part in determining how a diamond appears without regard to differences in width.

Imagine a 9.3mm 3 carat diamond where the angles allow the light to travel from edge-to-edge of the diamond. In nearly any lighting condition, this 9.3 mm 3 carat diamond appears as a 9.3 mm diamond - fantastic. Now imaging a 9.5 mm 3.3 carat diamond that is cut in such a way that the light does not travel from edge to edge, but escapes without the light returning to the viewer. Let's assume that the outside .2mm are dark in most lighting conditions. Well now, side by side, the diamonds appear identically sized to the observer and in low light, the 3.3ct (9.5mm) diamond could suffer even more and might actually look smaller in comparison to the 3 ct. (9.3mm) diamond. In this circumstance the 3 carat diamond might appear larger than the 3.3 ct.

The cut of the diamond can dramatically alter the appearance, be sure to get light performance images (Ideal-Scope or ASET) prior to making a decision.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he know about cut? I would only want a GIA Ex cut or AGS ideal cut, and even within GIA Ex, some stones are much better than others. Please don't let him buy without posting the specs of the stone here. I really think 3 cts is plenty huge on a size 2 finger, though! I am not sure I'd go to 3.3!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi everyone,

A reminder that we don't allow affiliate links or websites with affiliate links on our site, which includes the site you all are trying to discuss covertly. Please respect our policies, thank you!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone will be an AGS Ideal cut, he really wants a 3ct (I know I'm colossally lucky that he wants that size!).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results