shape
carat
color
clarity

How'd I do? (round $14-$17K) Feedback/suggestion appreciated

jjkim1837

Rough_Rock
Hello, PriceScope!

You all have been a fantastic resource as I began my search for a stone and I believe I've found a good one. If it's not too much to ask, I'd appreciate your feedback as well as any further suggestions you may have.

Ideally, I'm looking for an eye clean stone in the J-I-H range without too much color, emphasizing cut and size (1.85+), in the $14-$17.5k range. The stone that I've found is below (2.00 J VVS1 GIA 3EX @ $14.3K, HCA 1.9) but I'm agonizing a bit over the color (it looks pretty yellow even for a J, especially from the pavilion), as well as the natural inclusion (which I'm concerned will be perceived as a chip, or may create a durability problem). Otherwise, in my relatively uninformed opinion it looks pretty good.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, feedback, or other options you may have! I'd prefer JA but am open to other vendors.

jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.00-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2069626

Table: 58%
Depth: 61.7%
Crown: 36.0%
Pavilion: 40.6%

jjkim1837

Rough_Rock
Re: Round solitaire $14-17.5K - help please?

GIA Report (the inclusions may be difficult to pick out at this size, but you can see them from underside of stone at about 3:15 on the report)

2_249.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How'd I do? (round $14-$17K) Feedback/suggestion appreci

In my untrained unexpert opinion, nothing in a VVS1 clarity diamond will ever look to anyone like a chip, nor pose any type of durability issue. Ever.

As to the color, that's purely a personal preference - and is graded from the pavilion. Face up, a J will appear bright to maybe a warmish white. (think paint chips of "whites" from Home Depot - how they're all white but some are warmer or cooler). From the side, depending on the setting, you may more readily see some tint. Color doesn't bother me - I can see it, but it is not offensive to me. Others feel differently.

If you think the color could bother you or the wearer, you could safely drop down to a VS1 stone and expand your search to Include stones in the I or H range. VS1 stones are (always?) eye clean, and that would shift some of your budget toward upping the color.

Do keep us posted as your search progresses.

jjkim1837

Rough_Rock
Re: How'd I do? (round $14-$17K) Feedback/suggestion appreci

Thank you!

I've broadened my search a bit to include VS2 and VS1 for the bump in color up to I or H, or to go for a bigger size. That said, most of the options I'm considering still fall into the J's (which have varying bits of tint, at least to me). I've got four in mind right now, but am only able to request gemological review and advanced images for the first three since that is JA's limit.

I was wondering if anyone would mind letting me know what stands out to them?

1.88 I VVS1 EX EX https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.88-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2083670

2.00 J VVS1 EX EX (the original from above) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.00-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2069626

2.04 J VS1 EX EX https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.04-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-640363

2.14 J VS2 EX EX (which I cannot get gemological review on through JA) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.14-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1781744

I'm particularly intrigued by that last stone, and even though the report looks great and the HCA come back very positively, I am concerned about purchasing any stone without being able to look at ASET or Idealscope images. Am I being overcautious? Can I assume that it has excellent light performance based on the information I have?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results