shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you spend approx $10k?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My husband is giving me the go ahead to upgrade my ACA to this one:

I’m going to take my time with deciding whether to upgrade or to buy a second diamond. Curious about what everyone else would buy/ how they would choose to spend the money.

Wanted to add - I promise I won’t poach ideas. I’m just curious cause I think this is going to be the longest I’ve ever actually stopped to think about a purchase lol.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, you may already know..

I’m the type of gal who would get more value out of a bigger ring than having things I don’t wear.

So I guess the question is - do you like variety, or do you have the same “wardrobe” everyday?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Well, you may already know..

I’m the type of gal who would get more value out of a bigger ring than having things I don’t wear.

So I guess the question is - do you like variety, or do you have the same “wardrobe” everyday?

I love the idea of variety but I only ever reach for the same things. In fact, most of my clothes are the same clothes I just bought multiples of or that I bought in different colors.

I’m mainly weighing out getting an OEC and keeping the ACA or going all in on the ACA.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of variety but I only ever reach for the same things. In fact, most of my clothes are the same clothes I just bought multiples of or that I bought in different colors.

I’m mainly weighing out getting an OEC and keeping the ACA or going all in on the ACA.

Yeah I like the idea more than I like it in reality too. What if you sold the ACA and got an OEC? What is drawing you to ACA, is just the upgrade policy?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I like the idea more than I like it in reality too. What if you sold the ACA and got an OEC? What is drawing you to ACA, is just the upgrade policy?

Yeah. I like how flexible it is and that they have a decent selection. I was looking at Victor Camera’s OECs but he doesn’t have very many…

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
As a note, to figure out if I even would feel comfortable with a diamond the size of the 2.3 ct ACA I ordered some Chris CZs. I also ordered a bunch of smaller stones to play with sides.

Maybe by the end of the year I’ll make a decision?

I tend to wear the same things for a long time too. But every couple of years, I'd kinda get bored and want to switch things up. So that's one of the main reasons I'm hesitant to tie up too much $ on one piece.

For you, are you looking at OECs to get something different? How much joy are you getting from your current ACA as it is? Oh, and have you thought about selling your ACA, combining it with the funds for an upgrade, and putting all that towards an OEC??

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m going to take my time with deciding whether to upgrade or to buy a second diamond. Curious about what everyone else would buy/ how they would choose to spend the money.

Wanted to add - I promise I won’t poach ideas. I’m just curious cause I think this is going to be the longest I’ve ever actually stopped to think about a purchase lol.

Yikes. That feather is clear as day, and close to the surface of the crown, and reflecting around the stone - that’s a really unfortunate SI1, no way I wouldn’t see it IRL in a moving stone - magnification and all :eek-2:

So I have one strong opinion - not *that* stone for your potential upgrade! Unless you’re particularly clarity-insensitive!! (And even then I still wouldn’t, not with the ACA premium you’re paying!)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I tend to wear the same things for a long time too. But every couple of years, I'd kinda get bored and want to switch things up. So that's one of the main reasons I'm hesitant to tie up too much $ on one piece.

For you, are you looking at OECs to get something different? How much joy are you getting from your current ACA as it is? Oh, and have you thought about selling your ACA, combining it with the funds for an upgrade, and putting all that towards an OEC??

My preference is OECs but I like the flexibility of ACAs. When I was going through Cerulean’s thread I started looking to see if there were any pretty options for her search that she maybe hadn’t seen yet and I was reminded of how beautiful they are.

If I sold my ACA I wouldn’t use all the funds toward an OEC. I would probably max the OEC purchase at $15k. Soooo I’d basically be saving my husband some money lol.

But really, I’m still flip flopping. The ACA is beautiful, don’t get me wrong… I could totally live with owning one for the rest of my life. And I did consider getting a lab OEC but I think it’d bug me. It would cost more than I’d want to spend on a lab piece.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yikes. That feather is clear as day and reflecting around the stone - that’s an unfortunate SI1, no way I wouldn’t see it IRL magnification and all :eek-2:

So I have one strong opinion - not *that* stone for your potential upgrade! Unless you’re particularly clarity-insensitive!! (And even then, I still wouldn’t, not with the ACA premium you’re paying!)

Ok I’ll definitely feel better now if I miss out on this one. The size is more or less what I wanted and I want to upgrade size before I upgrade color. I’m not in a huge rush to upgrade the ACA. Since WF has a great selection and because they all look the same to me, I don’t feel the same urgency to buy like I did when I was buying OECs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’ll definitely feel better now if I miss out on this one. The size is more or less what I wanted and I want to upgrade size before I upgrade color. I’m not in a huge rush to upgrade the ACA. Since WF has a great selection and because they all look the same to me, I don’t feel the same urgency to buy like I did when I was buying OECs.

Yeah. I wouldn’t let a real world friend pick this particular stone either. You’re paying both an ACA premium and an SI1 (over SI2) premium - those entitle you to a cleaner stone IMO. ❤️

It’s great that you’re not in a rush!! You’ll be able to sift through inventory for a bit… And honestly diamond prices are so high right now, wait a few months and they might just go back down… That’s what I’m hoping for anyway :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My preference is OECs but I like the flexibility of ACAs. When I was going through Cerulean’s thread I started looking to see if there were any pretty options for her search that she maybe hadn’t seen yet and I was reminded of how beautiful they are.

If I sold my ACA I wouldn’t use all the funds toward an OEC. I would probably max the OEC purchase at $15k. Soooo I’d basically be saving my husband some money lol.

But really, I’m still flip flopping. The ACA is beautiful, don’t get me wrong… I could totally live with owning one for the rest of my life. And I did consider getting a lab OEC but I think it’d bug me. It would cost more than I’d want to spend on a lab piece.

I’ve seen many more pretty OECs and ACAs. Depending on your color sensitivity, your budget could take you pretty far.

There are som pretty ones at Lang, one in particular that I’m thinking of but maybe if you want me to check some out I’d be happy to tomorrow!

You can find me on Loupetroop under the same username

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen many more pretty OECs and ACAs. Depending on your color sensitivity, your budget could take you pretty far.

There are som pretty ones at Lang, one in particular that I’m thinking of but maybe if you want me to check some out I’d be happy to tomorrow!

You can find me on Loupetroop under the same username

Thank you for the offer! They do have one I’m eyeing out but I don’t want to get ahead of myself because I refuse to take a huge loss on the ACA just to move it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
as someone who isnt married or engaged i would buy the very best, PS quality princess cut diamond i could buy
just a soliter on an 18k yellow gold band - and not one of those teeny tiny bands either - a substantial one and just plain, no extra dismonds, just the one
and a white one, no tint

anyway dreams are free
i assume I'd get something decent for US$10k but I'd have to pay an extra 15% GST to the NZ government if i brought it from overseas

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No contest for me and I would get a wonky OEC up to 1.19ct and set it in an Art Deco inspired style as a right hand ring.

I don't really need another diamond, and if I were to get one, it will be a wonky OEC and smaller or the same carat weight as my 1.19ct EC which is my ring to trump them all.

DK :))

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
My ACA is a much smaller 0.7ct so I would put that towards upgarding to a 1.3ct ACA which is my ultimate dream size. Although being in Australia, the extra US$10K would probably get me an even bigger ACA, which I would happily accept :D

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
as someone who isnt married or engaged i would buy the very best, PS quality princess cut diamond i could buy
just a soliter on an 18k yellow gold band - and not one of those teeny tiny bands either - a substantial one and just plain, no extra dismonds, just the one
and a white one, no tint

anyway dreams are free
i assume I'd get something decent for US$10k but I'd have to pay an extra 15% GST to the NZ government if i brought it from overseas

That would be beautiful! But 15% tax? Yikes! I’m over here complaining about 10.1% every time I shop. Is it less than 15% if you buy locally?

No contest for me and I would get a wonky OEC up to 1.19ct and set it in an Art Deco inspired style as a right hand ring.

I don't really need another diamond, and if I were to get one, it will be a wonky OEC and smaller or the same carat weight as my 1.19ct EC which is my ring to trump them all.

DK :))

Love it! OECs are so pretty you just can’t go wrong.

My ACA is a much smaller 0.7ct so I would put that towards upgarding to a 1.3ct ACA which is my ultimate dream size. Although being in Australia, the extra US$10K would probably get me an even bigger ACA, which I would happily accept :D

That would be such a great jump! My original diamond was that size. It’s definitely noticeable without being showy - at least in my area.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Are you able to go all in OEC maybe?

Edit I saw that was already mentioned. Hard choice but for me it would be all in OEC or 2nd diamond OEC. I remember your past moi toi Sako ring and those stones were so gorgeous. It seems your heart does beat for old cuts :)

Last edited:

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock

Great choice, something about getting to 8.5mm really hits the mark for me

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Great choice, something about getting to 8.5mm really hits the mark for me

I think that would be a nice size! I guess I’ll know for sure when I get the Chris CZs in. I think if I shell out the money to upgrade in size, it’d have to be to a 2.2+ ct diamond.

I also need to lose all the weight I gained. Maybe slimmer fingers will help my 1.8 ct feel substantial again.

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
I think that would be a nice size! I guess I’ll know for sure when I get the Chris CZs in. I think if I shell out the money to upgrade in size, it’d have to be to a 2.2+ ct diamond.

I also need to lose all the weight I gained. Maybe slimmer fingers will help my 1.8 ct feel substantial again.

Aw, I hope you can love yourself as you are - pandemic weight gain has been great for my curves!

I think our diamonds just need to get the memo... Covid 20 (pts) anyone?

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like your heart would be happier with one OEC! I totally get not wanting to take a big loss on your gorgeous ACA. So I would probably try and be patient on the ACA sale so you can eventually go for your dream OEC... :kiss2:

That's what I would do with an extra $10k too. I love my current EC, but there's something about the fatter/more antique style ECs that gets me, and I think those look better on me because my hands are on the short/stumpy side. So if my husband wouldn't kill me, I might try to sell my EC and then upgrade to a fatter one haha.

If I sell the ACA. That is another option but I’m not seriously considering it as an option until the ACA sells. I’m not interested in taking a large loss on it.

Ugh, we usually take such a huge loss with resale. I tell myself it's ok because I was able to wear it and enjoy the piece for a while (well...sometimes, tehe). So in a way, it's kind of like paying a rental fee. But man does it hurt :lol-2::cry2:.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Aw, I hope you can love yourself as you are - pandemic weight gain has been great for my curves!

I think our diamonds just need to get the memo... Covid 20 (pts) anyone?

Wouldn’t that be nice? Lol

It sounds like your heart would be happier with one OEC! I totally get not wanting to take a big loss on your gorgeous ACA. So I would probably try and be patient on the ACA sale so you can eventually go for your dream OEC... :kiss2:

That's what I would do with an extra $10k too. I love my current EC, but there's something about the fatter/more antique style ECs that gets me, and I think those look better on me because my hands are on the short/stumpy side. So if my husband wouldn't kill me, I might try to sell my EC and then upgrade to a fatter one haha.

Oooh antique emerald cuts are so dreamy! If you ever do that we need like a million photos.

But a well cut antique diamond is unbeatable. If I grabbed one big enough I think I would have stayed with that. I think for me it’s also the thought that they’re so much harder to find than say a MRB.

Ugh, we usually take such a huge loss with resale. I tell myself it's ok because I was able to wear it and enjoy the piece for a while (well...sometimes, tehe). So in a way, it's kind of like paying a rental fee. But man does it hurt :lol-2::cry2:.

Oh geez that used to bug me so much at first but I’ve gotten over it. If PS ever did a jewel library I would subscribe!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I’m going to say OEC :mrgreen:

I love to see a superb ACA, but for me the sheer romance of an old cut and knowing that it’s got history, I dunno, there’s just something romantic and magical about them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be beautiful! But 15% tax? Yikes! I’m over here complaining about 10.1% every time I shop. Is it less than 15% if you buy locally?

Love it! OECs are so pretty you just can’t go wrong.

That would be such a great jump! My original diamond was that size. It’s definitely noticeable without being showy - at least in my area.

15 % is GST (goods & services tax) i think we pay it on everything in NZ except private 2nd hand sales and houses (the welfare state does not come for free)
its only very recently we have had to start paying it on things we buy from oversees off the internet
i only buy things from overseas because i can't buy it here - so it does make me cranky
i forget the exact amount but if a vendor has sales into NZ of say $10k ? a year they have to do the tax thingy so at least buying from Amazon and Etsy stuff isnt held up at customs or anything but its a pain because unlike buying something based in NZ, the tax is added right at the very end, you have to keep remembering its going to cost 15% more

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

Yes I agree! I really do love it, very eye catching but very easy to wear as a daily ring. Can I ask, when you upgraded your 0.7 how much bigger did you go the first time round? I am wondering if first trying something around 1ct when I turn 40 in a couple of years and then after that going up to 1.3ct. Do yuo think going from 0.7 to 1 carat would be a noticeable change?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yes I agree! I really do love it, very eye catching but very easy to wear as a daily ring. Can I ask, when you upgraded your 0.7 how much bigger did you go the first time round? I am wondering if first trying something around 1ct when I turn 40 in a couple of years and then after that going up to 1.3ct. Do yuo think going from 0.7 to 1 carat would be a noticeable change?

Oh I’m the worst… I started with a 1.3 ct, bought a 3+ ct, sold the 3+ ct, bought two approx 1.5 ct OECs (I just can’t remember exactly how large) for a toi et moi, sold those, now have the 1.8 ct, and want to change that up again. I bought some other diamonds in the middle but those never became rings.

0.7 ct to 1 ct would definitely be a noticeable jump though! And if that’s what you want, you should definitely do it! Stuff like this is what makes life fun so I vote yes. 0DB6E6BC-C2A2-4BEC-8B5F-63FBF460DCBD.png

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Took me 4 tries to even locate that feather.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results