shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you describe this sapphire color?

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
C62D3EF1-A31E-47BE-BFC5-B09575DEDC3A.jpeg
F573F416-AD78-4747-ACA0-6C26B8CB7C9C.jpeg
I found this sapphire that I’m interested in for a solitaire pendant- it caught my eye because of its unique (to me) color- definitely stands out among the typical royal blue sapphires. It’s also got a band of color zoning which I think adds to it’s uniqueness, but I know this would detract most people. How would you describe this color?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium to medium light grayish blue. Royal blue is much darker in tone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy it - I’d love love to see your in hand pics.

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
I suspect the seller is trying to hide a massive window. Ask for pictures of the stone straight on.
The actual listing has full 360 degree viewing- it’s on James Allen. I just took screenshots as the video rotated.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not a Royal blue at all it's a different shade of blue and it has stripes of colour zoning (someone else was asking what colour zoning looks like in another post) which are the different coloured bands in lines across the centre area of the stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The actual listing has full 360 degree viewing- it’s on James Allen. I just took screenshots as the video rotated.
Ok well that's good. When vendors take pics at these angles it sometimes means windowing. Also James allen doesn't usually have good colored stones, just to warn you

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
Ok well that's good. When vendors take pics at these angles it sometimes means windowing. Also James allen doesn't usually have good colored stones, just to warn you

Good to know. Do you have any suggestions for a better place to find sapphires?

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
That is not a Royal blue at all it's a different shade of blue and it has stripes of colour zoning (someone else was asking what colour zoning looks like in another post) which are the different coloured bands in lines across the centre area of the stone.
I didn’t intend for my post to sound like I was saying that this sapphire is royal blue- meant to say that it’s different than what you typically see which is royal blue. And yes, it is color zoned. Which I actually liked. It’s unique, but most would say it’s a major flaw.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know. Do you have any suggestions for a better place to find sapphires?
I would take a look at the "trusted vendor" link that's bookmarked to the top of the page.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t intend for my post to sound like I was saying that this sapphire is royal blue- meant to say that it’s different than what you typically see which is royal blue. And yes, it is color zoned. Which I actually liked. It’s unique, but most would say it’s a major flaw.

It should in theory (the zoning) make the stone cheaper, but I agree it can be cool if sapphires have a number of different coloured bans of two or more colours they are often called parti sapphires....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like that much zoning, the price of the stone should reflect it, because it’s a typically undesirable feature in sapphire.

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
If you like that much zoning, the price of the stone should reflect it, because it’s a typically undesirable feature in sapphire.
It’s reasonably priced $600 and it’s 1 carat

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Yes, fair price but nowhere near royal anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results