shape
carat
color
clarity

How wide would go with a plain wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
So, I have recently discovered that i am a sentimental sap, and i want the wedding band my FI puts on my finger on our wedding day to stay on there forever. That means I will be switching my engagement ring over to my right hand, since it has milgrain and everything, i dont think it would look right with a plain band. It also had a diamond band that came with it, but it is custom curved to fit the ring, so i will just wear that on my right too if i feel like it. My question is, how wide do you think i should go in a heavy comfort fit band. Since it is a stand alone band, i obviously want it to be very noticeable, but i''m trying to stay away from it looking masculine. I have pretty small and short fingers, so right now im thinking about a 4 mm. If anyone has suggestions of pictures, that would be so great!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a 3mm band and I think that it seems plenty big on my hand.

beelucidawedding10.jpg

luvsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi Happyfeet...
35.gif
I have two comfort fit bands one in yellow gold and one in white gold... both are 4mm. I think they make a great stand alone piece not masculine at all...
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 3 - 4mm would look great! Another thing to try might be a 2-3mm band with some sort of simple engraving on to fancy it ip so that you could wear with your engagement ring? So many options!

DD
35.gif

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Bee- your band looks great, thanks for sharing. Dreamer- i did try on my ering with an engraved band, but it just seemed off. I also really like the idea of just a plain band alone, so i think wider is the way to go for me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 4mm is great for a stand alone ring.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3mm plain platinum heavy comfort fit from www.e-weddingbands.com and love it! It''s super comfy, substantial but not masucline and looks great on it''s own.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4mm plain YG band and I think that it is wide enough on it''s own, but in no way does it look masculine.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 3:22:55 PM
Author: luvsdiamonds
Hi Happyfeet...
35.gif
I have two comfort fit bands one in yellow gold and one in white gold... both are 4mm. I think they make a great stand alone piece not masculine at all...
1.gif

I agree. And you mentioned moving the E-ring to the right hand, so I think 4mm would be great (you want it to have presence!)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo! Another plain band lover!

Well, I''m biased but mine is 3mm pipe cut (or a little more) and I think that''s a great size on my size 6''s. My e-ring shank is 4mm at the back and rounded, and that looks nice too! I would go somewhere and try on a ton of sizes to figure out what you want. A close friend wears a 5 or 6 mm band and it looks great on her long thin fingers. I do think that over 6 is starting to get a little large. I think at home I have a 2.5/3mm band and my 3 and 4. I can probably scare up a picture if that would help....

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I''m glad everyone seems to agree that around 4 mm is a good size, since that''s what i thought too. I am definitely going to go to the jewelry store this weekend to try on rings, but im going to order the band from eweddingbands.com. I ordered a 2 mm band from them a couple years ago, and although it''s too thin on its on, it''s very nice. Mercoledi, if you can post pics that would be great, but if it''s too much trouble, don''t worry about it. I am a plain ban lover, i think they are so romantic for some reason. It''s funny that i have an amazing ering, and i''m excited about getting a plain little band!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Here you go! The top one is lucida style, so half round, the middle is pipe-cut, the bottom is fully rounded. Hope that helps!

szieguidefeet.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 8:31:27 PM
Author: mercoledi
Here you go! The top one is lucida style, so half round, the middle is pipe-cut, the bottom is fully rounded. Hope that helps!
Nice job!!!
1.gif

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, Mercoledi! That actually helps a ton. This is probably going to sound weird, but we have similar hands, so that gave me a good perspective. I definitely love the 4 mm!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH has the male version of my band, also 4mm, and while it looks feminine on me, it doesn''t on him...just an all around great size IMO.

Great comparison pictures, mercoledi!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 8:48:37 PM
Author: happyfeet1988
Thank you so much, Mercoledi! That actually helps a ton. This is probably going to sound weird, but we have similar hands, so that gave me a good perspective. I definitely love the 4 mm!

I'm so glad it helped!
9.gif
Looking at the pictures my pipe-cut wedding band and the 4mm domed band (which is my e-ring's shank) have a very similar visual presence, something about the reflection pattern I guess.

Besides, 4mm still leaves plenty of room for stacking later on....
31.gif
27.gif

Great choice! I'm off to go look up your e-ring...

ETA: No pictures! Tease! When do you get it back? Mine is a 60 pointer too!

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
I know I''m a tease
3.gif
. I could never figure out how to post pics for some reason. I did have my ring reset though, from a Solstice solitaire to an antiquey setting with 3/4 ct. of diamonds in it. I just thought the solitaire setting swallowed up my diamond. I am much happier with it now, and it will look much better on my right hand now that it''s more stylized.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, k''mon, you can show us! Just make your pictures under 100k (in a photo ap or on a website) and upload it with a wonky file name using that pesky ''attach file'' button.

Don''t you think you owe us
12.gif
?

Please? It sounds beautiful!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a size 3 1/2 - 4 and wear a plain 5mm band. let me know if you want to see a picture. i''ve never taken one of it but wouldn''t mind at all if you''d like to see how it looks.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Mrssalvo, i would love to see a picture of your band if you get the chance to take a pic. Thanks!

love2cook

Rough_Rock
My sweet spot is 2.5-3mm. 3mm for stand-alone, 2.5 to pair with another ring. 2mm is too thin for me.

It depends more, I think, on the LENGTH of your fingers than on your ring size. I have short fingers, I guess, because anything 4mm or over looks massively thick on my hand.

You should really try on different widths before making a decision. Things that look great on other hands, you may think look terrible on your own.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Love2cook, i do have pretty stubby fingers. That is why I am pretty sure I won''t be able to go over 4 or 5 mm. I also will never be wearing this with my ering, so i have to take into account too. I want it to have presence on my finger. Thanks for your help!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3mm band I wear alone. I prefer this size because it''s not too wide to pair with other things if I want - like an eternity band or anniversary band - but is still noticeable. For me 4mm starts to get too side because I can''t pair it with anything else without it overpowering the other piece and because of my finger shape.

Several widths should be easy to find in any chain jewellery store so you can get an idea of the width even if you don''t buy from that store.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I have size 4.5 fingers and I wear a 3.5 mm band. The band for the 3 stone that I wear with it is also 3.5 mm, so they are a nice fit together.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am also a sentimental sap, and I wanted a plain band to stay on forever. I didn't want it so wide that I couldn't add eternity band or bands someday, though. I also plan to re-set my diamond and have a thicker band for that, at some point.

I didn't want it so thin that it looked like a keyring on my finger, but not so wide that it took away from my engagement ring. I had a few weeks of dithering and sending back a 5mm, and buying a 3mm...

and I ended up with a heavy comfort fit 4mm platinum as the final one. I got it from e-weddingbands and they worked with me to polish it so it was very rounded, almost like a rubber o-ring looks. I LOVE it, still, after wearing it 13 months. Looks good with added bands, with my engagement ring (thanks for the compliment, Feb2003bride!)

It's very simple, but I found that it actually enhanced my diamond. The wider ones seemed not quite so flattering. My favorite look lately is wearing my engagement ring between my wedding band and a 4mm fat silver band. The silver band is a little whiter than the platinum "forever" band, but it works okay. I like to change it up some. Today I am wearing tiny diamond bands on either side of my solitaire, and then the platinum and silver bands outside of those. So, I've got at least a 10mm stack on my finger, and it's very comfortable.

4mm was the perfect width for me -- and thickness -- it's 2.3 mm thick.

Good luck! I know how hard it is to pick a ring to wear forever! But I love that idea of a plain band that never has to be removed for cleaning or anything.

N-jo

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
4mm Heavy comfort fit (2.3mm thick) -- on my finger almost an hour at that point!

N-jo

ringsred.JPG

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And here is the 4mm band with my .71 solitaire. I think the band actually enhances it.

That''s not fluourescence -- i must have been near something blue when I took the picture...but I love the way the diamond looks there.

4mm71ctring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results