shape
carat
color
clarity

How to view a diamond at home?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zabak80

Rough_Rock
So I received my diamond today (1.46 AGS0, I, VS2) and was wondering what method I should use to view it?

What types of lighting is best? Fluorescent, sunlight, soft white? Should I look at it arms length or up close or on my pinky in a mirror? How should I evaluate it at home?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ALL light sources.

One of the joys of diamonds is how they change their look in various lighting environments.

My favorite it outside, mid day, sunny day, under a tree that lets little points of sunlight through.

Costco and Home Depot lighting rocks too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, make sure it's clean! Then, just take that baby all over the house.
9.gif

There's no real trick to it, it will look different in different lighting. The best lighting in my house to make it sparkle, is in the bathrooms, where there are multiple light sources/bulbs, and in front of a couple of my bedroom lamps, with multiple small bulbs. However, nothing in my house (or in many others homes) comes close to other places, like certain stores with very high ceilings/fluorescent lighting, under a tree on a sunny day, in bars/restaurants. Over time you will find out what makes yours sing, I'm still finding out years later!

zabak80

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

I noticed that it performs in some light better than others. Also different sources and intensity makes it look completely different. Good to know it will look different in different lights.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 9:18:00 PM
Author: zabak80
Thanks!

I noticed that it performs in some light better than others. Also different sources and intensity makes it look completely different. Good to know it will look different in different lights.
Definitely.

Have fun, there are SO many light sources to explore.
30.gif

And you''re welcome.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Kenny and Ellen, under a tree or large bush is a great place to enjoy a diamond! Other than that just take it everywhere and see what it does.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi don''t forget to view it under halogen light! It will sparkle like crazy:)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently some even tried pointer laser. Careful of your eyes with that one... :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results