shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell the difference between topaz and sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slanginrox86

Rough_Rock
I''m new to buying, selling and trading crystals and gemstones (not a professional, just a hobbyist) and I was wondering how to tell the difference between a topaz and sapphire? I know most of the color differences and similarities, but is there anything else I should know or any good resources out there? Any input would be helpful, thanks :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 3:32:17 PM
Author:slanginrox86
I''m new to buying, selling and trading crystals and gemstones (not a professional, just a hobbyist) and I was wondering how to tell the difference between a topaz and sapphire? I know most of the color differences and similarities, but is there anything else I should know or any good resources out there? Any input would be helpful, thanks :)
Buy some good books and some instruments and learn how to use them. In particular a dichroscope, refractometer, good quality 10x loupe and a polariscope.

Sapphire is denser than topaz so a 1ct sapphire will be smaller than a 1ct topaz (all other things like cut being equal).
Sapphire has a higher refractive index and can have a higher lustre than topaz as a result.
Sapphire is harder.
Topaz is relatively clean and available in large sizes.
Both can have distinctive types of inclusion.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
+1 to Pandora. Apart from that, it helps to trust who you are buying from.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are planning to buy, sell and trade, I highly recommend getting your own tools and learning how to use them properly. Pandora has suggested excellent equipment that you should own and use to distinguish the 2 species from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results