shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell the difference between topaz and sapphire

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by slanginrox86, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. slanginrox86
    Rough_Rock

by slanginrox86 » Mar 10, 2010
    I''m new to buying, selling and trading crystals and gemstones (not a professional, just a hobbyist) and I was wondering how to tell the difference between a topaz and sapphire? I know most of the color differences and similarities, but is there anything else I should know or any good resources out there? Any input would be helpful, thanks :)

2. Pandora II
    Ideal_Rock

by Pandora II » Mar 10, 2010
    Buy some good books and some instruments and learn how to use them. In particular a dichroscope, refractometer, good quality 10x loupe and a polariscope.

Sapphire is denser than topaz so a 1ct sapphire will be smaller than a 1ct topaz (all other things like cut being equal).
    Sapphire has a higher refractive index and can have a higher lustre than topaz as a result.
    Sapphire is harder.
    Topaz is relatively clean and available in large sizes.
    Both can have distinctive types of inclusion.

3. Indylady
    Ideal_Rock

by Indylady » Mar 10, 2010
    +1 to Pandora. Apart from that, it helps to trust who you are buying from.

4. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Mar 11, 2010
    If you are planning to buy, sell and trade, I highly recommend getting your own tools and learning how to use them properly. Pandora has suggested excellent equipment that you should own and use to distinguish the 2 species from each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.