shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell difference between feather & needle on plot diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PS folks.
I know this may sound silly but I sometimes have a hard time differentiating a feather from a needle on the plot diagram.
This is especially so for very short straight red marks on the plot diagram
I have no idea if those marks refer to feathers or needles ....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The needles hurt and the feathers tickle.
9.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 1:58:44 AM
Author: kenny
The needles hurt and the feathers tickle.
9.gif

hhaha
=p

but i actually wish they will change the symbol design
since when do feathers, which essentially are cracks, curve through the diamond?
most cracks/fractures are in a planar fashion

even for straight lines on the plotting diagram with needles and feathers as the symbol, i dont know what that straight red line represent =(

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 1:56:12 AM
Author:haagen_dazs
Hi PS folks.

I know this may sound silly but I sometimes have a hard time differentiating a feather from a needle on the plot diagram.

BUMP
33.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2009 1:56:12 AM
Author:haagen_dazs
Hi PS folks.
These things are easily answered with the diamond in hand. Feathers are literally breaks in the diamond and not always uniformly straight. Needles are totally enclosed; thin, enlongated crystals that will look like tiny rods when louped.

Plotting symbols were not designed to be internet-friendly. A plot is like a gemologist's road map to finding the noted characteristics. Though identical marks are used some features may be transparent, others opaque or even certain colors - and the marks on the plot may be different than the actual size of the features relative to the diamond.

My advice with the questions you have is to ask an expert with the diamond in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results