shape
carat
color
clarity

How to spot a fisheye or nailhead?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadegreene

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

Well I''m still thrilled with my 52 point round E VS2 engagement ring which sparkles even more than I first thought. I am not sure about the difference between fire and brilliance but it looks very nice.

I know that I learned earlier on this forum that the cut was not ideal, but now I hear about these fisheye and nailhead effects I am wondering if I have one of those. I am not really concerned, as it still looks great to me and everyone I''ve shown it to but I''d like to know.

I am getting the appraisal next week, I''ve been home sick with flu for more than a week so that has slowed things down. In the meantime the insurance company has extended my contents policy specifically to the ring based on the EGL Certificate and vendor jeweller''s valuation.

Also, another question which might be related to the quality of the cut. I have decided to have it reset on a yellow gold band to go with my other jewellery and wedding band to come. I have heard that E colour looks best on white gold, so will it be compromised at all by a yellow gold band? It is a very tapered plain band which is very narrow on the top have and thicker behind my finger. Apart from having the corners of the band a bit more rounded off I''ll stick with the same design in the yellow gold.

Any advice?

The specs on the EGL certificate are :

.52 cts
round brilliant 5.12 - 5.09 x 3.19mm
Depth 62.5%
Table width 62%
Crown Height 13%
Pavillion Depth 43%
Girdle thick, faceted
Polish, and Symmetry Good
No Culet
VS2 Nil Graining
E colour
No fluorescence

Looking for your tips!

confused.gif

candide

Rough_Rock
Here is some possible DiamCalc data. This is based on the information you provided (the software extrapolates other values from the data given and gives best estimates)

Cut Quality:

Light Return Mono .94 Very Good-Good
Light Return Stereo .95 Very Good-Good
Leakage Mono .71 Good
Leakage Stereo .72 Good
Contrast .94 Very Good-Good
Fish Eye .75 Good

It seems from the data presented at least that the girdle is likely very thick? Just in terms of understanding the overall depth percentage quoted.

jadegreene

Rough_Rock
Yes, well it calls it "thick, faceted". I understand that is the source of the less than ideal angles but I guess I just wanted to know for the future how to spot a fisheye or nailhead and which is worse, and have I got one ? And are there degrees of it?

Thanks!
wavey.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have nothing to worry about - it gets 75% because the table is biggish and the girdle is thick - but even an expert would not look at the stone and say "oh that's a fish eye"
Enjoy your diamond - is is still better cut than most
1.gif

jadegreene

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I was a bit worried about that, at least in terms of the valuation.

So would you suggest only platinum/white gold bands for an E diamond or is it OK to have a yellow gold band with white setting?

love.gif

song

Rough_Rock
If you are partial to wearing the stone in a yellow gold setting I don't see a problem with it. You might consider making the prongs platinum. I did that with one of my rings and the stone looks every bit as white as another stone I have set in white gold.

It sounds like you have a beautiful stone..Congrats! ~song

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results