shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Propose in Chicago - SUGGESTIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jtrichel

Rough_Rock
I am taking my girlfriend on a long planned trip to Chicago Dec. 20-Dec. 23 to just get away, do some last minute Christmas shopping, etc. We are from Dallas. We will be staying at the Rennaisance downtown on Wacker and State.

Could someone from Chicago or very familiar with the city make some recommendations on a cool place / method to propose?

Also, any general recommendations for proposing on a long-weekend trip in the winter would be appreciated.

I have the heart of a poet, but somehow that just never sees the light of day in planning ideas for something like this!

thanks!

Bright

Rough_Rock
Go to Gejas Cafe for dinner (340 W. Armitage Ave. 773-281-9101 ). It is the most romantic resturant in Chicago. Then go to the bar at the 95th (top of the John Hancock building) over looking the city order a bottle of champagne and do your deal. It is a nice place, so they would be accomodating if you wanted to have them bring out flowers or something.

Good luck

jtrichel

Rough_Rock
thanks a lot for the info. The bar on top of Hancock - will it be really crowded? Sort of wanted a romantic, quiet atmosphere as opposed to "happening crowd". It will be a Saturday night. Any reason to not do it at Gejas cafe? Thanks for the info

Any other ideas out there, please let me know... trying to get as many data points on this thing as possible!

student

Shiny_Rock
The view from the top of the John Hancock building at night is absolutely stunning. I say: go for it!

andrea

Shiny_Rock
I had a friend use a lobster as a proposal. They took and slipped the ring on one of the banded claws. It went over pretty well. Sound cheesy??:-o

Bright

Rough_Rock
I would not say the bar is really a happening bar anyway. It is much more upscale and low key. They have booths you may be able to reserve a booth seat for you two.

I suppose you could do it at Gejas to. It is a fondue place though I do not know if you want to drop the ring into scalding oil....

Another thought is a place called Pops for Champagne it is a champagne bar with live jazz music. A very dark romantic place and the music is not usually loud. No view, but a great ambiance.

Good Luck!

kwschro

Rough_Rock
Go to Spiaggia, it's an Italian restaurant on Michigan Ave. 980 N. Michigan Ave. 312-280-2750. It's an extremely romantic restaurant, overlooks Lake Michigan. Then you could go to the top of the Hancock for champaign, only a block away. Also there are carriage rides that go down Michigan Ave. at night time, realy romantic with the Christmas lights. Hope this helps

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Cielo's restaurant, right across the croner of Michigan Ave from your hotel, in the Omni hotel. Yery nice and romantic. The ceiling is painted to look like the ceiling of the Parthenon. It is italian and mediteranian food. Very Very good. Also it is on the fourth floor overlooking Mich Ave. It is hardly ever crowded and they are very accomedating to special requests.

We go there for dinner each time we are in Chi-town.

Also, for the type of rest. it is not overly expensive. $80-100 dinner for two including wine, drinks and desert.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
JT:
Hi. I live in Chicago. I have a few suggestions.

I will have to veto Geja's. While it is a wonderful and really romantic place, I am pretty sure they do not take reservations and the line gets LONG! Nothing would be more unromantic than standing around and waiting to have your dinner for two hours in a packed bar. Also, because it is fondue and you cook with the oil, you will come out of there stinking and feeling like you really want to go home and take a shower (okay that could be romantic, too :devil: ).

I like North Pond. It is in the Lincoln Park neighborhood (2610 N. Cannon). They have done some renovations there and put in beautiful stained glass windows. VERY romantic. There is a fantastic, quaint little French bistro in Bucktown called Le Bouchon (The Cork) at 1958 N. Damen. It is just like a small Parisian bistro. I highly recommend this place. It is small and fills up quickly so you usually need reservations about a week in advance. Fantastic food and extremely fair prices. You will get more of the Chicago neighborhood feel at both of these places. These places would be no more than about a $10-12 cab ride from your hotel.

If you would not want to venture away from the Mag Mile, Spiaggia was a very good suggestion. This place is a bit pricey. And they may have a dress code here, too. Call ahead to be sure. If you really want to blow the bank, go to Everest. This place def. has a dress code and is VERY expensive, but the view is fantastic, service is wonderful, food is to die for. You can check all these places out online at chicago.citysearch.com or metromix.com. Just be sure to make your reservations (for wherever you go) as soon as possible.

Other romantic things to do...the horse and carriage rides are always fun. You can hope a ride along Michigan Avenue. Ice skating downtown could be fun and romantic.

Good luck! Let us know where you end up going and how everything works out!

jtrichel

Rough_Rock
Googleman -

You should be a tour guide... are you in the hotel business?? :) Anyways, thanks a lot.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
JT:

No, I do not work in the hotel/tourist business. I work in the financial industry. I just live downtown and get around a lot!

Oh, I thought of one more suggestion of things to do. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be putting on a concert entitled Welcom Yule! while you are in town. The will be singing and performing a variety of Christmas carols. I don't know if you are in to this type of thing, but the music is quite beautiful and it will def. help put you in the Christmas spirit. You can visit www.cso.org for more information.

I was thinking about the proposal. One suggestion. I don't know if you want to do something really public, but you could go ice skating in Millenium Park and then pull her into the middle of the ice skating ring, get down on one knee and propose!

Good luck. Let us know the results of the trip!

Bright

Rough_Rock
Googleman has some great suggesstions. Gejas does take resos beginning at 8:00, I believe, but you may feel like you were just swimming in oil! I would also second North Pond and Everest. North Pond has a wonderful Arts & Crafts interior with dark lighting making you feel like you are eating in Gustav Stickley's dining room.....And Everest is one of the top resturants in Chicago (other than Charlie Trotters and TRU which are too stuffy and neuvo riche for me). Heck...go to Everest(now that I think about it). You only do this once do it right! I am also a big fan of the carriage ride. This sounds pretty darn good...I might have to change my plans.

Bright

Rough_Rock
Sorry did not mean to insert the man singing at 8:00. Not sure how that got in there. Did not want to confuse anyone....

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Okay, JT, I am jumping the gun a little as I don't think you are even back from your trip, but I wanted to send out a friendly reminder for you to post your proposal details when you get back!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I just came across this thread and I live in Chicago so I am curious how things went. I see that something was either edited or posted yesterday but don't see any posts dated after 12/22/02.

read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results