shape
carat
color
clarity

How to know Diamond and the certification is matched??

Cy2009cy

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... I know my question maybe silly, totally new for jewelry.
I am confused how to know those GIA or AGS certification is for The diamond you just bought, especially buying online. is there a serial number on the stone? Or something else? :roll:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How to the Diamond and diamond certification is matched?

1. The inclusion plot - buy a loupe and match the inclusions to what is printed on the plot on the report
2. Some stones have the report number engraved on the girdle

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cy2009cy|1297122629|2845996 said:
Hmmm... I know my question maybe silly, totally new for jewelry.
I am confused how to know those GIA or AGS certification is for The diamond you just bought, especially buying online. is there a serial number on the stone? Or something else? :roll:

Hi Cy,

If you buy a stone with a GIA Diamond Dossier, those don't have clarity maps but are engraved, so you would be able to identify your diamond that way. If you want peace of mind, if you buy a diamond with a GIA report with a clarity map, take it to an independant appraiser and have them verify everything matches. Yssie makes an excellent suggestion concerning buying your own loupe and learning to identify your own stone. That way should you ever need to leave your ring for maintenance, depending on the clarity grade, you might be able to use some inclusions that are visible through the loupe as ' birthmarks,' thus you will always know your diamond.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd recommend taking the diamond to an independent appraiser for verification regardless of whether the diamond is inscribed or not... inscriptions can be forged by anybody who owns an inscription machine. There is a list of appraisers available via the Resources tab / Appraisers menu option available at the top of this page.

It is also a good idea to verify the details of the diamond grading report provided with the details provided online by the laboratory which issued the report to ensure that they match. All you need is the lab report number and carat weight of the diamond.

To verify GIA lab reports: http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm

To verify AGS lab reports: http://www.agslab.com/verify_diamond_grading_report.php a benefit to the service offered by AGS is that they also provide a copy of the lab report online (GIA merely provides the details) and the online copy provided by AGS is often of better scan quality than the scans provided by many online dealers - which provides you with a better idea of the inclusions...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results