shape
carat
color
clarity

How to keep a sapphire clean?

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Nice to see everyone making beautiful sapphire purchases. I was curious how everyone keeps their sapphire engagement rings clean? We have been using a very soft bristle tooth brush and some warm/hot water with dawn dish detergent. We *try* to clean it once every 2 weeks. Any thoughts on how to keep the gem clean?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I routinely stick mine under a very hot tap and scrub at the back of the stone with a soft interdental toothbrush (like a little pipcleaner). Shines it right up!

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sapphires are very durable, so any reasonable method of cleaning should suffice. Most commercial jewelry cleaning solutions are fine using a soft toothbrush to clean the nooks and crannies of the ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sebas|1387617912|3578617 said:
Hi everyone,

Nice to see everyone making beautiful sapphire purchases. I was curious how everyone keeps their sapphire engagement rings clean? We have been using a very soft bristle tooth brush and some warm/hot water with dawn dish detergent. We *try* to clean it once every 2 weeks. Any thoughts on how to keep the gem clean?

That's exactly what I do to keep mine clean, but I clean them every two days, instead of every two weeks. Smudges and dirt drive me nuts. Just make sure your stones are well set, and prongs are secure. I probably should clean mine less often, but I love sparkle.

The other issue is that if you wash your hands, they get smudges. Hand soap, and water makes them look duller.

I don't use commercial cleaners on hard stones. Dish soap, a soft toothbrush and hot water to rinse is what I use. Most of my stones are a 7 or harder, so a soft toothbrush should suffice. It also gets in those crevices behind the stone and between melee.

I use a paper towel to dry them off. I pat them dry and you can let them dry off a few remaining minutes on a dry paper towel.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! Am I correct that sonication is something to be done very seldom as it loosens the diamond melee?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sebas|1387663240|3578851 said:
Thanks everyone! Am I correct that sonication is something to be done very seldom as it loosens the diamond melee?

Yes, and it can make feathers and other internal cracks larger, even in diamonds. I don't recommend sonic cleaning at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to clean every day; a quick drop into an ammonia-free commercial solution before I shower, then once done, I give it a quick brush, rinse & pat dry. Most sapphires can handle an ultrasonic cleaning. Compressed air helps dry your stone while keeping it spot free.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1387683388|3578942 said:
I prefer to clean every day; a quick drop into an ammonia-free commercial solution before I shower, then once done, I give it a quick brush, rinse & pat dry. Most sapphires can handle an ultrasonic cleaning. Compressed air helps dry your stone while keeping it spot free.

You mentioned ammonia-free commercial solution, why is that? I just looked up Dawn and apparently it has ammonia in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ammonia isn't good for gold jewellery; it can cause porosity issues over time.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rubbing alcohol works great. I clean every stone after cutting with this, and a cotton swab (Q-tip). For a stone that is set, the fibers on the swab may get lodged in your prongs, so a brush may be better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubymd

Rough_Rock
I have a decent espresso machine at home. I use my steam wand to clean off my rubies. I soak them first for a few minutes then steam each piece. I got a pair of thongs for steaming at an intergem show. They have rubber on the tips. Once I am done steaming them I pat them down a tiny bit. They come out great. The key is bleeding the steam wand first. Which just means running it empty into a cup. Any built up water will come out during the bleeding porcesss.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
sebas|1387701438|3579008 said:
Chrono|1387683388|3578942 said:

You mentioned ammonia-free commercial solution, why is that? I just looked up Dawn and apparently it has ammonia in it.

Dawn does not contain ammonia, but for some reason, a lot of people seem to believe it does. Refer to the MSDS for hazard information: http://www.pg.com/productsafety/search_results.php?searchtext=Dawn&category=msds&submit=Search.... If a product does contain ammonia, it will be listed under Composition and Ingredients.

ETA: The main problems with using ammonia are that it can eat away rhodium plating on WG and tarnish/ruin sterling silver and other metals that aren't gold or platinum. It's also quite dangerous depending on the concentration and ventilation conditions. For example, mixing up some ammonia and hot water in a bathroom with no vent and the door closed is a bad idea. ;-) Other than that, it can cause burns/skin irritation.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
That is so funny but sounds like a good way to clean your ring using tongs and the milk steamer :confused: :wavey: :wavey: on rings! Thanks for all the helpful hints on keeping that sparkly stuff sparkly year round. Merry Christmas to everyone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Word of caution why a kettle steamer or milk steamer isn't advisable for most jewellery items:
1. Most gemstones cannot handle the sudden change of temperature and could end up with a surprise crack or have an existing feather grow larger.
2. The water used could have impurities and can end up making the gem dirtier than before.

Please use a proper jewellery steamer if you want to steam your diamonds. I think the only coloured stone that can be safely steamed is sapphires.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have regularly used jeweler's cleanser to clean my platinum, pave and sapphire ring. I soak it, then brush it gently, rinse it under warm water, and finally pat it dry with a cotton towel. And it was after I had done my typical cleaning ritual that I first noticed that one of the stones from the pave has gone missing. Its not like its a new ring - in fact its closing in on a decade of wear, I believe - but still that caused my heart to shudder...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results