shape
carat
color
clarity

..how to handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody :),
My name is Christos, from Cyprus ( an island in the Mediterranean sea ) and I''d like some help if possible.

..a week ago the only thing I knew about diamonds was that they were shining and forever :)..
since then a have studied the subject a bit just to be able to ask, hopefully, some meaningful questions.
ok here it comes :)

I have a 2.01 ct, lightly yellow, diamond with no cert and no way to certify it..
7.gif

I''ve had quite a few jewelers have a look at it, but none of them is a real diamond expert..
7.gif

( small country - small city - small diamond market )

their opinions are something like this:
carat : 2.01 they all agreed on that :)

cut - its an older cut, circa 1960''s , not quite the recent round brilliant one but very close to it ( one of them mentioned that
there is a tiny culet, 3 others did not say anything )

clarity : 2 said vvs2 , 1 vs1, 1 vs2 ..all agreed is a " clean one "
4.gif

colour : here starts the real problem ..no 2 opinions are alike , ranging from J to N ..one even said that is below
N
15.gif

dimensions : no info whatsoever ..besides an 8mm that one of them measured with a manual tool..

I have pre-sell the diamond to my , for 40 years, best friend, and we even agreed at the price. around
$ 5,000 which was supposed to be a great deal for him, but after seeing how much colour and cut can affect the price
i have second thoughts that maybe is not such a great buy for him after all. should I drop the price
more and how much ?

I want him to be really on the winning side but I am also in desperate need for as much cash as possible..!
Any ideas how to handle this ?

thanks and regards
Christos

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Christos and welcome!
35.gif

I think people will find it very difficult to give you an indication of what your diamond might be worth (and probably won''t want to either) because there are too many variables. There is a search facility on this website and you could put in the carat weight, an average of the clarity (say VS1) but the colour is a real issue and will affect the price. Typically if you''re seeing a light yellow, the colour could range anywhere from M - Z. It''s unlikely to be a J unless it only has a hint of colour.

Lastly, the cut is also important. A well cut stone will always be more valuable than one that isn''t. If you posted photos, I''m sure people would give you an honest opinion on the cut BUT the camera can change the colour of a diamond significantly so it''ll only be a "best guess" for the colour.

Sorry, I know that''s not very helpful but you''re better of doing your own research and seeing what you come up with. There are quite a number of colour charts available online to help you.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Could a trip to Israel be managed? It''s relatively close by, and in Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan there''s a flourishing diamond trade. At the very least, you should get a better trained opinion than what''s available in Nicosia...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 3:27:01 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Could a trip to Israel be managed? It''s relatively close by, and in Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan there''s a flourishing diamond trade. At the very least, you should get a better trained opinion than what''s available in Nicosia...
Good idea, would that be a possibility Christos? Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The trip sound lovely OMC!
LovingDiamonds'' advice also is good.

I have a slightly different perspective here....

First of all, the grade..
I agree with OMC that there are far more experienced diamond traders in Ramat Gan, a short flight from Cyprus.

But the nature of this question really does put a different spin on it, the way I see it.
Let''s say the stone is a J/VVS. Now let''s take another possibility- it''s a U-V/Si2.
I believe the jewelers ion Cyprus can be trusted to at least have gotten it within that range.
In either case, if the diamonds is pretty than $5000 for a 2 carat stone is a pretty fair price under these circumstances.

In the first case, Christos is going to be selling very cheap, in the second case, it''s still a good deal if the appearance is there.
When I say "pretty" Christos....You have looked at the diamond.
Is there good sparkle?

I take it your friend has also seen, and likes the diamond.

If we were talking about a stone which was thought to be colorless- modern brilliant maybe Christos would need to better cover the up-side.
But top silver diamonds are less costly- and differences in grade mean less difference in the ultimate dollars you spend.
Going from D color, down to J color would make a huge difference in the price per carat- while going from K to UV brings a far smaller difference in actual dollars per carat.
Same for the difference between a really well cut stone versus a poorly cut one, as LD points out.

Another important question just came to me...
Christos, where did you get the diamond? That could answer a lot of questions right there....Sorry if that''s too personal a question.

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody :)

Thanks for the replies..

Unfotunately no trip to Israel is possible at this time..( i am ashamed to say that
things are really very tight at the moment )
The diamond is in front of me right now and it does look really pretty, but, alas , also
has a yelowish hue..
We do have a small digital camera at home, somewhere, but to be honest i have never used it..i will give it a try and i will
post whatever results i get ..if not tonight, then tomorrow for sure..
The diamond belonged to my mother , we do have another one from her , a bit smaller, much more whiter, but with too
many inclusions, plus a cut on the rim ..
She got the diamonds during the 80''s from an English military doctor who was posted at the British Military Bases here in Cyprus..

My father was a car dealer at the time and it seems that they traded a car for the diamonds ..no more details are known to me
other than the name of jewellerer who advised them at the time , and also made the settings..he has passed away..

my mother gave the diamonds, together with all her jewellery to my wife ..

Compared to the white one it has a lot of flash and allthough it was mounted on a white setting and the colour was very easily
noticed it was really pretty! I dismounted it a week ago to have it examined.

About my friend , he is much more ignorant than me about diamonds..my guess is that he just asked at a shop how much they sell
a 2 ct diamond and i can only imagine the answers he got ..he has seen it and he liked it ..well it is a diamond after all and to
untrained eyes , like his and mine, they are all pretty :)

here in Larnaca we have a lot of jewellery shops but they mostly cater for the tourists ..they do not carry very heavy pieces ..
perhaps a couple or 3 of 1cts and perhaps some thing biger as a showcase..

ok i''d better go find that camera..

cheers :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds great Christos!

The fact that we''ve at least gotten some rough idea from local jewelers, and knowing more about what is going on...I''d say it really does sound fair to both.
You''d likely get less if you tried to sell it to a jeweler- and he''d pay more if a jeweler had it.
As LD mentioned- we''re doing this blind and can''t be 100% sure- but that''s my impression- and we sell a lot of less costly stones- and also have clients in Cyprus btw!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christos - one other thing ............... don''t be too hard on your diamond for showing yellow. They''re very fashionable and yellow diamonds can be gorgeous. Some people would prefer a yellow to a white diamond!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
There is nothing wrong with a beautiful warm color stone!! It''s the cut and clarity that I would be concerned about. As long as it sparkles and there are no visible inclusions, then you''re good to go!

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
I have finally managed to have some pics , a friend of my daughter did them
..the colour is very different on each one.!!
on some pics it even looks like brown ! it''s not!!

I cannot post the pics here ..cause the size exceeds the allowance

you can view them here

http://www.td25.com/diamond/d1.jpg

http://www.td25.com/diamond/d2.jpg

http://www.td25.com/diamond/d3.jpg

http://www.td25.com/diamond/d4.jpg

David your post really make feel much more comfortable.. thanks and my compliments on your
excellent jewelry.!!

LovingDiamonds and Tuckins1 you speak like true diamond lovers and although it has only
been just a week that I dived into diamond waters I can also see the beauty on the more humble colour
ratings....I am also a " jeweler " if I may use the word loosely ..I handcraft beaded jewelry , using mostly
semi precious stones ,crystals , glass, sterling silver, bronze, .. I do not solder ..I hand wrap the
wires in simple beaded designs aiming, mainly, for the low end market...I love buying stones that are not
very popular, for the cheap price but also for the challenge to make something pretty out of them :)..

My friend on the other hand, an accountant by profession , is buying the diamond , mainly to help me
and secondly because I told him that it was a great deal

cheers
Christos

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hello, Christos! Others can advise you about this one better than me but I just wanted to say it''s nice to talk to someone from so far away and wish you the best of luck!
35.gif

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:58:06 AM
Author: Imdanny
Hello, Christos! Others can advise you about this one better than me but I just wanted to say it''s nice to talk to someone from so far away and wish you the best of luck!
35.gif
Hi Imdanny ..
35.gif

it is amazing how internet has changed our lifes ..we are lucky indeed to live this time :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello Christos,
thankyou for uploading the photos - it is a very pretty cut diamond!
It looks to be an OEC - Old European Cut. I am not an expert so cannot tell you for sure when, but it would've
been cut somewhere pre 1950's..

With these older diamonds, it was quite common for them to have warmer colours - so it is really
more acceptable than you might think.
It definately has a yellow tint from the side, but the clarity looks very clean and it faces up firey and bright.
I don't think the slight yellow detracts from the look of this diamond - and remember it is usually
less noticeable once the stone is set too
1.gif

Honestly, I think your friend is getting a great deal -I would not worry about that at all. I imagine this diamond
in one of our favoured online retailers could attract at least ~8k...and they are competitive prices, much less markup
than in stores.

ETA: looking at your pics again, it looks extremely clean clarity-wise. And doesn't appear to have any nicks or chips
along the girdle (edges) which is common with older stones. Honestly, I think the combo of high clarity, good size and
no damage makes your stone quite a winner - I know a ton of PS'ers who would love to get their hands on it, lol !
It is a shame that you need to sell it,
7.gif
but I understand things are tough for many these days.

Good luck !
35.gif

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
... ,
7.gif
but I understand things are tough for many these days.

Good luck !
35.gif
tough is an understatement for me..
it''s not just the general recession and the declining tourist arrivals,
..some major road works has started on our location
..on some days we can''t even access the shop to open
19.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Arjunajane I think it''s a gorgeous stone. Alot of us on here love the older cuts and warmer stones. It''s too bad you can''t keep it or sell it for a little more. Thanks for sharing your beautiful stone with us and good luck
35.gif
35.gif

kurosivo

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:50:14 AM
Author: arjunajane

It looks to be an OEC - Old European Cut. I am not an expert so cannot tell you for sure when, but it would''ve
been cut somewhere pre 1950''s..

Good luck !
35.gif

Any other ideas about the cut?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 5:16:11 AM
Author: kurosivo
Date: 4/14/2009 4:58:06 AM

Author: Imdanny

35.gif
Hi Imdanny ..
35.gif

it is amazing how internet has changed our lifes ..we are lucky indeed to live this time :)
It''s true! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results