shape
carat
color
clarity

How to get enough sleep? Changing my internal clock.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I''ve read a lot about sleep deprivation causing weight gain, or maybe getting enough sleep triggering less hunger or something like that.......

Anyhoo, I can''t seem to get more than 5 hours of sleep a night because I''m a natural night owl. nce my kids are in bed, I''m all wired to clean the house, do work on my lap top, sur the internet or read. I usually don''t get any shut eye until 1AM. Then I get up at 6 AM each morning to pack the whole family lunch etc, so I''m always sleep deprived.

Don''t know how I can adjust my habits or schedule to get more sleep in. Suggestions?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any suggestions but I do sympathize. Left to my own devices I would stay up until 2 or 3am and then sleep until noon or so. I have an office job and get up at 7am, which is really early when you don''t sleep well. I''ve never slept well and short of drugging myself I just go through my days in a tired fog and countdown until Friday night when I can stay up and then sleep in the next day. Ugh.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Try melatonin. I use it to help me wind down and get to sleep. I started putting myself to bed earlier and earlier and now I get a full 8 hours most nights. I think the biggest trouble is just stopping and putting yourself to bed. I have a very hard time with that. FI helps a ton, since he has to get to bed early to get up at 4:30a. Personally, I know how invaluable sleep can be for health, mood, stress, anxiety, weight, etc. I try to value it above a clean house, washed dishes, watching TV, etc. It''s definitely a daily challenge for me though. Good luck getting some more ZZZzzzzzZZZZZ!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 10:16:38 PM
Author: megumic
Try melatonin. I use it to help me wind down and get to sleep. I started putting myself to bed earlier and earlier and now I get a full 8 hours most nights. I think the biggest trouble is just stopping and putting yourself to bed. I have a very hard time with that. FI helps a ton, since he has to get to bed early to get up at 4:30a. Personally, I know how invaluable sleep can be for health, mood, stress, anxiety, weight, etc. I try to value it above a clean house, washed dishes, watching TV, etc. It''s definitely a daily challenge for me though. Good luck getting some more ZZZzzzzzZZZZZ!
I try to mellow out, and get into bed around 10-11PM. Sometimes I''ll read, watch TV etc, but I can''t fall asleep until at least 1AM. I''ve tried sleep time herbal teas, warm milk without success. Maybe I''ll try Melatonin. At this point, I''ll try anything. I''m so tired and cranky all the time!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I sympathize. I am traditionally a night owl as well, but since I''ve been making myself go to the gym at 5:00am every morning I had to learn to get to bed earlier. You have to be really consistent, even on weekends. Go to bed at your desired time (10:00?) every single night of the week, sat and sun...and get up at 6:00 every single day including sat and sun. When you try to go to bed, make sure you start winding down your night like you would the kids. If you know you can''t fall asleep right at 10, got to bed at 9:00. Read a book or listen to a meditation CD. Keep the lights dim to get you into sleepy mode. Still too much energy?? How about some you and husband time to make you tired...wink wink. Then hopefully by 10 you''ll be ready for bed. I''d say leave TV out of it, out of the room even. It tends to be too much of a distraction and doesn''t let people focus enough on calming down to go to bed. I guarantee after 4 months of that you''ll be right on track and it won''t be a problem.

Good luck!

Cj

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 5:58:27 PM
Author: pinki
I sympathize. I am traditionally a night owl as well, but since I've been making myself go to the gym at 5:00am every morning I had to learn to get to bed earlier. You have to be really consistent, even on weekends. Go to bed at your desired time (10:00?) every single night of the week, sat and sun...and get up at 6:00 every single day including sat and sun. When you try to go to bed, make sure you start winding down your night like you would the kids. If you know you can't fall asleep right at 10, got to bed at 9:00. Read a book or listen to a meditation CD. Keep the lights dim to get you into sleepy mode. Still too much energy?? How about some you and husband time to make you tired...wink wink. Then hopefully by 10 you'll be ready for bed. I'd say leave TV out of it, out of the room even. It tends to be too much of a distraction and doesn't let people focus enough on calming down to go to bed. I guarantee after 4 months of that you'll be right on track and it won't be a problem.

Good luck!

Cj

I've tried that...most of the time it doesn't work for me, but works wonders for him ;-)

Next morning he tells me he feels used haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results