shape
carat
color
clarity

How To Get An AGL Certificate

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I thought it would be handy for other people's reference if I wrote up a thread about getting a certificate for my ruby. Kind of a step-by-step, so everyone knows how it goes.

Here is the AGL website: http://aglgemlab.com/

My stone is a ruby, sold as an unheated, untreated Burmese ruby, over 4 carats. That becomes important later, so make a note of it.

Shipping it to AGL:

Put your stone in a secure package, I used a box within a box, within a box. :bigsmile: Do NOT bother to tape up your outermost box! Take it to the Post Office. Get all the forms for Registered Mail and fill it out. Take it up to the counter and, if they are nice, they will give you some gummy paper tape from 1953. Any other tape is unacceptable for Registered Mail!

You will then tape up your box with a wet sponge applied to your brown paper tape. The tape must cover EVERY SINGLE opening. You will be taping until the cows come home. Then the clerk will use a red stamp to cover every imaginable speck of tape with the stamp. Until you can no longer see the tape. It's very attractive.

Your paperwork will include a receipt, which has your tracking number on it. I also wrote the clerk's name on it. This tracking number is just a source of anxiety and not really indicative of anything. Sure, you can go on the internet and look at the number, but having the tracking match the actual progress of the package is a rarity, apparently.

I chose priority mail with registered, and the tracking promised arrival by Thursday. It did not arrive Thursday. Don't bother calling the USPS, they can't help you. The package turned up as delivered on Monday. YAY! :appl:

img_929.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Once It's At AGL

I called, and a nice lady went to find my package (about 30 seconds) and confirmed it had been received. She called it "a red stone". Hmmm . . . thanks. :)

I asked her to check for heating first, and if it turns out to be heated, could we stop there and just do a gem brief? She said yes, but because the stone is so large (told you that was important), a $60 gem brief wouldn't do it. It would have to be a treatment report for larger stones, at $135. But if it doesn't turn out to be heated/treated, we agreed to continue on to the origin report, which, at that size, would be over $300. ::) Fine.

Then I asked her how long? She said about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

So far, almost painless, except for the tracking part. I will probably call in a week, just to see where they are with it, and then I will add to this thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very timely thread and I think a good one to start off in a new handy Sticky thread for all things important.

A few things to add:
1. Priority shipping is useless with registered mail as it does not arrive any sooner. Expect it to take a minimum of 1 week to arrive.
2. USPS isn't on the ball with online updates. Do not panick if it seems stuck in limbo. Give it a few more days.
3. When packing, use many layers and make sure it doesn't shift within the box. Noises from the inside makes people very curious, YKWIM.
4. Hold on to the receipt AND registered tracking paper. You'll need both if the package gets lost and need to file a claim.

iLander,
Maybe it's a small town thing but the 3 post offices I've been to, the PO personnel brown paper taped my boxes for me. Some did a wonderful job, cutting the corners off with scissors for a smooth finish. Your discussion with the AGL personnel is also very useful. No sense in spending money on origin if the ruby turns out to be heated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1368544117|3446664 said:
1. Priority shipping is useless with registered mail as it does not arrive any sooner. Expect it to take a minimum of 1 week to arrive.
2. USPS isn't on the ball with online updates. Do not panick if it seems stuck in limbo. Give it a few more days.
3. When packing, use many layers and make sure it doesn't shift within the box. Noises from the inside makes people very curious, YKWIM.
4. Hold on to the receipt AND registered tracking paper. You'll need both if the package gets lost and need to file a claim.

5. If there is a claim the USPS needs proof of claimed value. A sales receipt or a proper appraisal will work. No proof = no payment. If you have no proof get an appraisal or consider not sending it, or if you send it Registered anyway understand that you basically have no insurance.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Great idea for a thread! I may send a few stones to them. I was wondering the best method for packaging and shipping.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Gummy paper tape from 1953 :lol:

Thanks for this. I just recently started buying stones and wanted to get briefs for the nicer ones. Do they accept drop-offs in person?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very helpful thread as I've wondered how long and painful the process is. Thanks, iLander. Does it have to be sent registered mail or could you just send it first class with insurance?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to add: if your PO gets to know you well enough, they give you the brown tape from 1953 to take home with you so in the luxury of your own home, you can tape and tape and tape! This is how I do it now. Then, when I get to the PO and the personnel has changed again for the umpteenth time that month, and their eyes bug out at seeing a Strange Brown-Taped Box, which clearly must signify something scary or important, I explain to them what it is and what it means.

From there, you have your choice of sending it Priority, Express or the-one-that-takes-several-lifetimes-to-arrive (can't remember the formal name). You pay normally for the shipping method (for example, in a small box, domestic Priority is about $5.60), and then, for the privilege of having it all taped up in Special Brown Tape, they add a flat fee for sending it Registered (I think its about $19 domestically, but someone feel free to correct this number). Registered means nothing in terms of method of travel or speed, it means only that it is kept in a separate holding area under lock and key at all times, which theoretically gives an added layer of security and protection. I believe it is worth it for high value items. The long time and knowledgable staffers at my PO (yes, there are a few - they are the ones who gave me the tape to take home) have told me that if they had something of value to send, they would send it Registered because of the extra layer of protection (basically being locked in a cage). One staffer told me she has never known of a Registered package to go missing, fwiw. That is not a guarantee, just a piece of anecdotal data! :praise: :bigsmile:

iLander, thank you for this thread! And boy, do I love your humor! Please write more and soon! :bigsmile: :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1368544117|3446664 said:
A very timely thread and I think a good one to start off in a new handy Sticky thread for all things important.

Yes!!!

Deb
:saint:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This is a veritable wealth of information and much appreciated!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate it too! I'm following it with great interest. Thank you ILander and everyone for your information.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just point out that this is ONLY for shipping within the US. If you are shipping from outside the US, different rules apply and different shipping methods will need to be considered!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1368618422|3447249 said:
Can I just point out that this is ONLY for shipping within the US. If you are shipping from outside the US, different rules apply and different shipping methods will need to be considered!

Thank you, LD.

Deb
:wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone willing to take a gander at best interntional shipping practices? The 3 below are the only options I know of and each one has their pros and cons.
FedEx
DHL
USPS (or your local country) Registered

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
MrsBlue|1368554019|3446790 said:
Gummy paper tape from 1953 :lol:

Thanks for this. I just recently started buying stones and wanted to get briefs for the nicer ones. Do they accept drop-offs in person?

Yes - they do accept drop-offs in person, by coincidence I'm having a stone dropped off there tomorrow, so I can let you know how that goes as well.

I didn't see it mentioned in the previous posts, but there is a submission form on their website that you have to complete and send with the stone, and I included a check with mine for the services.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yes, everyone :wavey: :wavey: please add anything that you think is helpful.

I didn't include a check with the submission, I wrote "call me" on the form, since I am doing a "pay as they go" kind of thing as noted in my second post. I will then provide a credit card number.

LD- Good point! If anyone has any international experience with AGL, please add to this thread!

At this point, I'm just sitting on my hands, trying not to be impatient. That's going rrreeeaaaallly well. :rolleyes:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A little something to add. The AGL will mail the stone back to you registered mail, and will insure it for what value you told them you think it's worth, and then charge you charge card for that postage. So don't overstate things, or you will be paying a pretty high shipping fee coming back to you. With postage, the $60 brief turns into $100 pretty quick.

We travel into NYC often, so when ever possible, I'll drop stones off in person, and then pick them up if the timing works out.

Some post offices are pretty good about giving you the brown paper tape, others not so at all. It's very hard to find the tape, OfficeMax and the like don't sell it, everything they have is plastic tape, which can not be used. I buy boxes that have a paper sealing system built into them, but for most people this wouldn't make sense as you need to buy about $300 worth of boxes at a time.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible that the PO tape is one of the things you can order online from the USPS like we do boxes and such?

My suggestion for those who can't find the tape: go to the busiest post office you know of in your area and ask for the tape there. They HATE to have to stand there and wrap the package up when there is a long line of customers, becoming more and more irate by the second, having to wait for a clerk to wrap a package. When you suggest it as a way to help them out and that gee, golly, its really unfortunate that you will have to be regularly tying them up with this chore because you will be regularly sending registered packages at this PO, it is amazing how fast they take you up on your offer to help and send you off happily with the tape, and often, the sponge too! I call that a win win and great customer self-service! :bigsmile:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't find brown paper tape and your Post Office is not accommodating, I have successfully mailed more than one package via domestic registered mail that I sealed using glue and strips cut from a brown bag.... just as another option.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant, Marymm! :appl:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I would enjoy seeing a photo of one of these brown paper tape from 1953 boxes. At first I thought it might be a joke or exaggeration and now I'm just curious and confused about this special requirement. Scratches head

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
bluebirrrd|1368671819|3447860 said:
I would enjoy seeing a photo of one of these brown paper tape from 1953 boxes. At first I thought it might be a joke or exaggeration and now I'm just curious and confused about this special requirement. Scratches head
It was a joke since that type of paper tape isn't used much these days. But it's necessary for Registered mail because any possible openings in the shipping box have to be ink-stamped to show signs of tampering and you can't ink-stamp plastic tape. Gummed paper tape is available at any Office Depot or by mail: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/946867/Duck-Reinforced-Kraft-Gummed-Paper-Tape/ It's sold at almost any office supply store.

Richard M.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard M.|1368678954|3447944 said:
bluebirrrd|1368671819|3447860 said:
It was a joke since that type of paper tape isn't used much these days. But it's necessary for Registered mail because any possible openings in the shipping box have to be ink-stamped to show signs of tampering and you can't ink-stamp plastic tape. Gummed paper tape is available at any Office Depot or by mail: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/946867/Duck-Reinforced-Kraft-Gummed-Paper-Tape/ It's sold at almost any office supply store.

Richard M.

Just as a heads up, my personal experience has been that clerks at two separate Post Offices refused my package for domestic registered mail when I used this kind of reinforced paper tape. The regulation does specify "Packages must be sealed with mucilage or glue or with plain paper or cloth tape." [Section 3.6, http://pe.usps.com/archive/html/dmmarchive0810/S911.htm]

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Why We Get AGL Certificates

I got a call from AGL. The ruby is synthetic. Specifically, it's a flame fusion synthetic ruby with quench crackling to produce false inclusions. The quench crackling tells me it's designed specifically to fool jewelers, because what average jewelry customer would inspect the inclusions?

The seller was extremely apologetic and he's going to refund all my money; the cost of the stone, the gem brief cost, and all the shipping costs. I think he feels awful about it. He said he's getting his money back from the GIA graduate gemologist that he bought it from. Who, apparently, was also fooled.

But that's why we get certs. Because it's a big, bad world out there in gem land, and anybody can be hoodwinked.

As a side note about AGL; apparently if they find a stone to be synthetic, they stop testing and issue only the $60 brief. I originally asked for a full origin report ($350+), and they could have easily kept the clock running and sent me an origin report with synthetic on it, but they are very good about not doing that.

I'm disappointed, but relieved that the seller is standing behind the stone 110%.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Very sorry for your disappointment, but what a good example of why a report is so necessary. So glad to hear the seller is covering all costs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry its a synthetic ruby but kudos to Litnon for excellent customer service in standing by their policy.

More reminders:
1. Trust but verify
2. Buy from a reputable vendor else risk NOT getting your money back
3. "Antique" is no guarantee it is real and / or untreated
4. Send to a major top lab because not all labs are created equally. A minor lab might not have detected this.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry that it was a synthetic. It looks very pretty.

Glad your seller is doing the honorable thing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
iLander, this thread is fun and very helpful -- thanks for doing it & all who added to it. What a shame the ruby was synthetic, but as you said, better safe than poor & faked out. Angel dust to Litnon too.

--- Laurie

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear, but good thing you decided to get the report and that you bought from a reputable vendor who is honoring the guarantee!

I also sent a gem to AGL last week (dropped it off in person on the 16th) and they called me yesterday to inform me that the report was completed. Thankfully my stone was confirmed to be an unheated natural sapphire as it was sold to me. While I was bummed when the gentleman on the phone referred to it as "your small sapphire" :rolleyes: I was impressed with the quick 6 day turnaround. They had told me it would be 2-3 weeks when the stone was dropped off.

ETA - saw that the seller is refunding your costs for sending the stone to AGL - that is great! Hope you find an even better ruby soon :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results