shape
carat
color
clarity

How to gain the B&M perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

Due to yet another B&M/sort of online jeweler posting an advertisement I thought I would post what I have been wondering about for awhile. Let me say that I ADORE Pricescope and I am very very grateful that I have found it. However we see mostly stories about the night mares people have in B&M jewelry stores, and it seems like very few of us has close relationships with a local jeweler (Jenn was the only one I could think of off hand).
Still the majority of diamond purchases are made in local or mall stores. I wish we had some jewelers who would come and post from their side of things. I do not believe that you can have too many view points, especially on something as complicated as diamonds and the purchasing of diamonds. I really enjoy threads and articles such as the “What jewelers are looking for in a consumer”. They are both helpful and informative.
So how does PS as a whole attract B&M jewelers to come post learn and educate without trying to make PS a free place to advertise? I know that we are a welcoming group of people so why haven’t more chosen to come?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Matatora!
I''m not a jeweler, but I visit 5 jewelry stores in Philadelphia/King of Prussia at least once a week (always on the lookout for my next goodie). None of the owners or associates I deal with knew about Pricescope, and only one of them knew about Blue Nile. They''re probably too busy during the day to go on the internet and too tired to do it at night.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What she said!
2.gif

PLUS... I think that some (most?) B&Ms still are denying or refusing to accept the impact that the internet has had on diamond sales. One of the local B&Ms in my small town has NOTHING good to say about any e-tailer... so I doubt that they would have any interest in PS. You''d think curiosity would get to them eventually, though!!!

I dunno. Good question.

Lynn

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Matadora,

It’s a touchy topic. The storefront jewelers tend to view this as a hostile place. We’ve had quite a few that have graced us with their voices in the last few months but they don’t normally stick around for the long term. This may be because they find that it’s too time consuming to stay on top of it or they get themselves ejected for violating the forum rules about self promotion if they discuss their own stores. We have TONS of jewelers who lurk. IMO, a step in the right direction towards making them feel welcome to speak is to add ‘maul’ to the forbidden word list.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

widget

Ideal_Rock
.... IMO, a step in the right direction towards making them feel welcome to speak is to add ‘maul’ to the forbidden word list.

Neil Beaty
Great idea, Neil...

I'd love to hear from more from B&Ms.

I bet that time constraints have a lot to do with their relatively low numbers here. My guess is that since e-tailers spend so much time in front of their computers anyway, it's a lot easier for them to check into PS occasionally...

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The biggest problem is that too many b&m people come on here with huge chips on their shoulders.
Some drop the chips and hang around long enough that we get to know them and they are aok.. Hi Steve.

Others never drop the chip and get shown the door. bye-bye several dozen.
That is the largest group.

Then is the rare ones that dont come in with a bad attitude at all.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 4:09:17 PM
Author: Feydakin

There are a lot of us that lurk.. And most will never post because they feel that PS tends to be a hostile place for those of us in the trade.. Whether it is or is not isn''t really the point, it''s the impression that they have..

Well, and perception is reality to a point, isn''t it? I''d like to see more B&M stores here too.

We are held to a far more restrictive set of rules than the consumers that post here and,

The only restriction I''m aware of which affects vendors disproportionately to consumers is the prohibition against self-promotion.....but that''s to be expected since consumers don''t sell/profit and therefore cannot "self" promote.

And you never hear of a consumer getting banned or even warned, yet we see tradespeople get banned every so often for various reasons.. Even CrankyDave finally got banned..

Not true. I was here for one or two consumer bannings....both of which were flagrant violation of forum policies. Further, Cranky Dave didn''t get banned because he was a vendor......he got banned because he ignored repeated requests by the moderator to adhere to the forum policies.

On a side note, I fully agree with Neil and Steve (from prior discussions) that discontinuing the use of the term "maul" would go a long way toward making B&M stores feel more welcome here. Since I''ve been here, "maul" has always meant chain stores (i.e. Kay''s, Zales, etc.)....but if that''s what we mean, that''s what we should call them.....chain stores. B&Ms wouldn''t be unfairly lumped into the mega-conglomerates then.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Actually Matadora, I have a great relationship with a B&M about 1/2 hour away from us!! When we went looking for a center stone for my new w-set, we stumbled across this B&M. I''ve posted many wonderful reviews about their service, knowledge, etc. here.

We went back today to have them check if any of my stones were loosened as we''re leaving for a long vacation and I didn''t want to have to worry about it. Troy, a GG and one of the owners, not only had my ring checked and cleaned by one of the master jewelers, but also had it replated for me at no cost...as a thank you for all the referrals we''ve provided since first going to him...

He also showed us all the new upgrades they''ve been doing to their business, including a new Sarin machine and plans to set up a microscope connected to a 17" computer monitor for customers to be able to idenitfy inclusions, cut, etc.!!

The jeweler personally came out to tell me that two baguettes had been loosened, they were tightened up and the center stone was slightly readjusted + the replating...the jeweler also made recommendations to a replating schedule and I responded that my ring would not be serviced by anyone else but them...so they''ll have complete knowledge to what my rings need.

We''re so happy with them and will continue to work with them in the future!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I did not know that TONS of jeweler''s only lurk for fear of punishment. That''s not good.

Though I agree with Strm that many come on here with a chip on their shoulder, I''ve learned quite a bit from their perspective when they stick around & have an open mind.

What can I, as a consumer, do to make this place more B&M friendly? O.K., I''ll try not to use "maul". This diamond came from Gordon''s in the mall - 4.45-4.47 x 2.70 G/SI1 (clean as a whistle), vg sym, vg polish, crown - 33 degree, pav - 41 table 56, depth 60ish. I wouldn''t kick this one out to the street.
2.gif
It''s a sweety pie 1/3 carat.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay no more "maul". That seems resonable, I knew that Steve was a jewler because of his signature and a few comments he has made but I have never perceived him as self promoting so that is an excellent point. Do you you as a B&M guy find itto be threating here? If so what would you personally chang to make it more open and welcoming. I feel sometimes as if we are missing the forth side of the square (other 3 being consumer, appraiser on-line vendor).

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 5:40:02 PM
Author: Matatora
Okay no more ''maul''. That seems resonable, I knew that Steve was a jewler because of his signature and a few comments he has made but I have never perceived him as self promoting so that is an excellent point. Do you you as a B&M guy find itto be threating here? If so what would you personally chang to make it more open and welcoming. I feel sometimes as if we are missing the forth side of the square (other 3 being consumer, appraiser on-line vendor).
That would have to be a pentagon because Steve is a Benchmen.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh good call. I liked that little epice about sizing though...spiffy.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2005 5:55:00 PM

But threads like that and probably mistitled threads like 'What to do if the jeweller does not help' that cause this..

Feydakin I know that you are speaking in general but the thread 'What to do if the jeweller does not help' was definitely not mistitled. This same jeweller has told me that feathers which break the surface are okay, an inclusion is just that - does not have another name such as feather, cleavage etc., and a diamond cannot be chipped because only another diamond can scratch a diamond. These examples did not come from sales staff but people who were higher.
They definitely want ignorant consumers who they can sell their naats to.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With hindsight I can now see that I was wrong to try to ask them questions about diamonds such as is discussed on this site. The thing is they are selling an end product in a chain store they do not need to educate customers about what makes an ideal cut diamond such as this site tries to do.

The questions they can answer are things like, can you polish my ring, is that a ruby or a garnet?

Feydakin

Do you know, do chain stores have a qualilty control system for their diamonds or do they just take what the wholesalers sell them?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/18/2005 4:18:24 PM
Author: strmrdr

Others never drop the chip and get shown the door. bye-bye several dozen.
That is the largest group.

The largest group of jewelers, by far, is the group that lurk. That’s true of consumers and all the other groups as well by the way, but here’s a casual observation. Leonid packed the house at JCK last month with full time professional jewelry people, mostly independent retailers. The vast majority of the people there knew who he was, what he stood for and were already familiar with pricescope. Very few of these people have ever registered or posted so much as a single comment. Of the ones that didn’t already know, or at least think they knew, what was going on here, most were looking at PS as soon as they got home, if for no better reason than to scope out the competition and to see what the buzz was all about. It’s been 2 months and we haven’t added a single regularly contributing jeweler in that entire time. There is no doubt that they are watching us. The question is why they aren’t participating.

I have a theory. They think that you think that they are the enemy. They get this impression from reading old posts and from talking to internet educated customers who walk into their stores with a chip on their shoulder. They think that if they post a comment that is unpopular or even stupid, they will become laughingstocks and that the experts here will chew them to pieces. To make it worse, Google will then index their words along with those of their critics and make them available at the click of a mouse for all eternity. It’s a frightening thought, isn''t it? For consumers it’s anonymous and safe. For jewelers they are putting their life’s work at risk because their reputation is the most valuable thing they have. They have almost nothing to gain and a huge amount to lose.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
many B&M's view PS as the anti-christ to their way of life. the big bad internet is stealing sales and PS helps them do that in essence. many consumers here on PS view B&M's as gougers and out to take their money. of course this is not everyone, but we do see an APPALLING lack of education in the B&M world...it's sad that some PS'ers know more about basics like color and clarity than many B&M's.

this topic is nothing that has not been discussed before. we do have some B&M or some offline vendors here who stick around to make sure that their voices are heard. to find PS you have to have interest in the topic and be internet savvy. i know offline jewelers who are good but just aren't into the internet...so we'll probably never see them on PS. But other jewelers like Joe Escobar, one of the Escobar brothers (Eric?) is familiar with PS and used to post on here a few years ago.

many of B&M's as storm notes, are very against and negative with something like a Pricescope. we have had alot of people who come here with a chip or expecting to hate it and are gone within a few days, whether asked to leave or left of their own accord. not pointing a finger at who done what, but that is just what has happened many times in the past.

i wish that more offline jewelers and benchmen WOULD stick around. they may have to have a tougher skin and be prepared to disagree respectfully with some of what is said here and understand they are dealing with a different consumer than the one that wanders into their store...but that's life. this is a heavily consumer based forum where consumers help other consumers...but one of the things that kept me here in the first place were stellar experts like Rich and Garry who were so much fun AND knowledgeable too.

oh and yes there have been consumers who have been banned, I'm sure Leonid could rattle off at least a handful or two over the last 3-4 years!

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that I have a jeweler I can trust.....but he describes his goods (diamonds) as "medium" grade, and he knows that and is OK with that, and I guess he believes that is what the people want/expect/are used to/willing to pay for....When we were diamond shopping, everything I looked at he said, "you don''t want that" due to cut, color, or whatever.......but that''s what he presents/sells to anyone who walks in off the street.....and people are happy with him/that....that''s because the general public does not have the education that people here have.....

Hopefully the expectations will increase as more people get more education.......I don''t think that a lot of B&M''s or even mall chains try to take advantage of people.....but often salespeople in mall stores have way less knowledge of diamonds than even the newest person on Pricescope......Hopefully all of that will change.....I think I hear Garry saying that his goal is to improve the quality of diamonds that will reach the average consumer...

A question for the industry: "With the advent of new cut grades, would it be possible that stores could be required to HAVE UNIFORM GRADING AND THEN DISCLOSE the cut grades of their diamonds?????" If one chose to buy something not up to grade, then the price should reflect that........

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 5:55:00 PM

It''s really hard to not get terribly defensive when you feel that you, your business, or your trade is being attacked.. Look at all the ''the salesperson said something stupid'' threads that pop up from time to time.. It''s just as easy for a jeweler to post the same thing about customers that come in to the store, but that would get us banned (one of the restriction issues)..
Steve, we''ve talked about this privately, but it bears repeating here. This is a place where folks.....largely consumers.....are here to learn and share their experiences.

It''s conceivable, therefore, that someone''s gonna chime in from time to time with a "the salesman said something stupid" story. Such a thread is recounting *an* experience....it doesn''t mean that it should be interpreted as the SOP for ALL B&M jewelers, nor does it mean that''s what everyone here believes. Not every story about *some other* chain/B&M/storefront should be interpreted to lump you all together. If I say "I had the most horrible experience with my washing machine", that shouldn''t be overinflated to mean "no one should ever buy a washing machine because NONE of them are reliable."

In kind, there have been several threads (participated in heavily by vendors) about unrealistic consumer expectations on what they think should be done free of charge or nearly free. I don''t recall anyone getting banned for that, even though it''s critical of consumers. There have been consumers who came here berating vendors who didn''t keep appointments because they were at home getting terribly sick, and I don''t recall seeing the consumers favored in that instance either....in fact, just the opposite.

There''s a huge tendency here---especially as of late---for folks to get feathers ruffled by someone saying "this does/doesn''t work for me". If I say I don''t want to pay the mark-up for the Tiffany name, all of the sudden, I''m "hating" on Tiffany and everyone who loves Tiffany has to come out and defend them. Ridiculous. One person sharing a preference/opinion/experience should *not* be interpreted as a condemnation/reprisal of everyone else who doesn''t share that view. That''s just not what it is......or not what it should be.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 7:06:39 PM
Author: denverappraiser

I have a theory. They think that you think that they are the enemy. They get this impression from reading old posts and from talking to internet educated customers who walk into their stores with a chip on their shoulder. They think that if they post a comment that is unpopular or even stupid, they will become laughingstocks and that the experts here will chew them to pieces. To make it worse, Google will then index their words along with those of their critics and make them available at the click of a mouse for all eternity. It’s a frightening thought, isn''t it? For consumers it’s anonymous and safe. For jewelers they are putting their life’s work at risk because their reputation is the most valuable thing they have. They have almost nothing to gain and a huge amount to lose.

This is really interesting. In this light, if I had a B&B, I''d view joining a forum like this with considerable trepidation, too!
23.gif

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many jewelers view PS as the enemy. They don''t want to hear about anyone buying from the internet. I have one favorite jeweler that knows me well and I share my opinions about PS and it''s like he''s deaf all of a sudden. He knows that I was in the business and know a thing or too, but he''s not having any of it, and to me that''s wrong. I wish he would be more open minded, but he''s not, case closed.
15.gif

sapphic

Rough_Rock
I would say as a PS-informed consumer, I wouldn''t go to a B&M for these reasons which I don''t know if they could ever address:

1. lack of inventory (1.5-2.5c diamonds)
2. sales tax
3. lack of information about the diamond (sarin, idealscope)
4. Sales pitch (some are better than others at not pressuring you)
5. Price - I hate having to haggle and the prices I get presented with are not that close to PS prices.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
B&M jewelers as well as any other experts are welcome here. I said it in my presentation at the JCK show to the audience. We also started Recommend a Local Jeweler thread asking consumers to recommend their favorite B&M jewelers.

Based on this thread and other information, we recently put together a list of about 70 B&M and Brick & Click vendors: http://www.pricescope.com/jewelers.aspx. This list is free.

I emailed each one of them notifying that their companies have been recommended by consumers on the forum, that there is a free listing. I also asked to provide some information about services, designer lines and policies. Only about 1/4 replied with the information I asked. No one came to the forum. So it is not a "fear of punishment"
4.gif
- these people are recommended here by consumers. There are many reasons why consumers or trade members are not writing.

We also have designers like Mark Morell and Michael B. who are constantly recommended here - they never write. I emailed Mark about a year ago asking whether we can do something for him (maybe some sort of gallery of his works - free of course) since consumers are so excited about his creations. He answered that he is booked months ahead and is not looking for more business.

Maybe those jewelers who are good are simply too busy and don't really interested because their business is fine?

In order to participate in the forum anybody including experts should respect certain norms of the forum etiquette. That is the only requirement. Those jewelers who can do it, will gain the respect and business from community and this is a great thing. E.g. Bruce Boone, PlatinumSmith, Bill Pearlman, etc.

We had a few examples when some folks simply come here to invite to their site or make a sale. I spoke to one of such jewelers who made his entrance to the forum by posting many invitation to visit his site claiming the best prices, etc. I tried to explain that it is not acceptable to post such things but he's welcome to participate with helpful advice and include his link into the signature. He couldn't understand what was wrong with his posts. He said "we're just trying to make a sale"...

We also ask our advertisers to be more active on the forum and answer consumer's questions. Guys like Jim Schultz, Martin Sheffield, Oscar Rodriguez, Scott Anderson, Ariel Friedman, and the others could be more active here. It is not that they don't want to but not all the people can write freely and easily. For some people it comes naturally while other have difficulties to express themselves in written communications.

The bottom line is, everyone is welcome. I'm confused to read that jewelers are afraid to be punished or attacked. With a minimal online courtesy and professionalism any trade member can contribute and benefit here.

There is another side of the story too. I would say that majority of consumers are too sympathetic, understanding and polite and even if they have problems with their jewelers they prefer to solve them privately and not to make it public and damage someones business.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 7:59:28 PM
Author: widget

Date: 7/18/2005 7:06:39 PM
Author: denverappraiser

This is really interesting. In this light, if I had a B&B, I''d view joining a forum like this with considerable trepidation, too!
23.gif

widget
I agree, widget.

And, given light of current events, makes perfect logical sense to me.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 10:16:49 AM
Author: fire&ice

And, given light of current events, makes perfect logical sense to me.
Re: light of current events.

Here is an example from everyday moderator''s routine. Yesterday several members reported a new vendor promoting his site as educational on Colored Stones forum (BlueNile front page design, photos ''taken'' from other websites, no ANY info on gem stones...)

A member replied to this guy in that topic that self-promotion is not allowed here. Moderator also PM''d him "please revisit the forum rules". The guy emailed rather harsh reply saying he''s not interested posting here.

Things like that happens several times a day.

In the webmaster/forum moderator''s jargon posting links to your own site on the public forums called SPAM. Such posts are getting removed.
32.gif
Does it constitute very harsh "punishment" all the lurking jewelers should be afraid of?
4.gif

There is another very important facet of this controversial issue. There are also quite a few really great experts who just enjoy sharing their knowledge and stand away from any self promotion or attacking consumers.

Some of them feel uncomfortable posting when too much self promotion is going on. So I don''t think that loosing the self-promotion rule is a good solution. As well as allowing trade member to insult and be rude to consumers.

We feel very strongly about that - sorry.
29.gif
21.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/18/2005 5:07:15 PM
Author: fire&ice
I did not know that TONS of jeweler's only lurk for fear of punishment. That's not good.

Though I agree with Strm that many come on here with a chip on their shoulder, I've learned quite a bit from their perspective when they stick around & have an open mind.

What can I, as a consumer, do to make this place more B&M friendly? O.K., I'll try not to use 'maul'. This diamond came from Gordon's in the mall - 4.45-4.47 x 2.70 G/SI1 (clean as a whistle), vg sym, vg polish, crown - 33 degree, pav - 41 table 56, depth 60ish. I wouldn't kick this one out to the street.
2.gif
It's a sweety pie 1/3 carat.

I’m not sure it’s appropriate to describe it as fear of punishment as much as fear in general. Neither am I suggesting a change in the policies beyond encouraging everyone to maintain good manners (which is already the policy). I was answering Matadora’s question of why the dealers choose not to post. There are undoubtedly other reasons as well and not all are absent for the same reasons.

The prosumers are the driving force here and this is part of what makes this place unique. I’m not actually convinced that it’s even desirable for the dealers to become more involved beyond encouraging them to correct factual errors about themselves and their products. The most egregious examples are already deleted by the admin (XYZ jewelers is in league with Satan!. Details follow.) so it is the more subtle form that should be watched out for. ‘Mall Jewelers rip off customers’ followed by a story of a jeweler behaving badly should be responded to with the observation that that particular jeweler may deserve our wrath but that it’s inappropriate to generalize the offense to all jewelers in all malls wherever dispersed. The experts here know this but the casual surfer may not and this often goes unsaid.
Most customers find value in the services offered by storefront jewelers and it is helping both the consumers and jewelers to assist them in maximizing this value. This helps the good jewelers to succeed and the bad ones to fail. Everyone wins. Finding a similar stone for less money from an internet vendor is not the right answer for every customer. In watching the way that people end up buying (5% buy online, 95% buy on the street), it’s not even the answer for the majority. Our experts, both consumers and those in the trade, should be teaching the beginners what the issues are, what the tradeoffs are and provide them with the best information so they can shop wisely, both online and off.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi All! I''ve got some time and will chime in here. Seven years ago we put up our first site. I did it out of fear of being left behind. My kids showed me the net in 95 and when they ran a search for jewelry , although slow, I was amazed what pop-ed up. When we started this we informed our suppliers of what our plans were and almost everyone blew it off as some dumb business plan. My store is all designers so we figured the consumer would use search to find what they were looking for because we did not have the capital for a national ad campaign. 4 years ago we put up our new site and then the chatter started. The problem was that prior to the net every store had their own marketing territory. These stores had the business locked into their area and they were happy. The net wiped out this exclusive territory and many owners became upset because we were now doing business in their home towns. It was o.k for Neiman Marcus and Saks to send out catalogs to every customer with income levels over what ever but the net WAS different. It''s not. Every luxury brand is in someone else''s back yard. Believe me I feel the heat from other dealers of the brands I deal in and the designers are under pressure to explain to them what they do not understand. This net is the greatest marketing tool that a B&M has. The problem is change and understanding of it. When we first started we had to depend on outside sources to develop our site. These were not profession jewelers but for the most part small advertising agency''s trying to interpret what the jeweler thought they needed . Neither side really understood what the other needed and I think that still exists today and is a damper on more B&M not jumping on the net.

I also think that the B&M stores perceive the net buyer to be to price conscious and they feel they can''t deal at the levels of profit they deal with on the net This is true with some customers but not all. I certainly want the best price when I shop. When I purchased my last car it was info from the net. The salesman understood what I had done and didn''t have a problem with it. The biggest thing I hear is from the customers. Those that have dealt with me know that I personally answer the emails. I spend a tremendous amount of time doing this but I feel it necessary to break the ice with the ones that do not know me. What I am hearing more than anything else is service in the B&M stores. Interesting fact of my site, 90 % of the purchasers are 32 years of age and younger. 90% of these are bridal customers and their walking into their local stores and being turned off by the sales people, talked down to, not giving them what they request, and in some cases assuming they can''t afford their products. These are huge mistakes and the B&M''s had better wake up to this situation. The people, and I will make a big assumption here, are using the net to get the service that is lacking in their home stores. Also, the net does not allow for discrimination. I talk to everyone and I haven''t a clue what you look like or do I care. The key is that you visit and I for one am very grateful for that.

When I talk to other retailers the biggest fear I hear them voice is fraud and distrust of dealing on the net. It''s kind of like a catch 22. I tell them that in the years I''ve been doing this I have not had a problem. In most cases the people who have come over the net are great because they come as a educated customer. A educated customer is much easier to deal with and you don''t have to spend hours educating them. I believe out trade magazines are devoting a lot of editorial to this subject weather the B&M takes heart is up to them. They are missing a very nice group of people

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 12:40:24 PM
Author: mepearl53
Hi All! I''ve got some time and will chime in here. Seven years ago we put up our first site. I did it out of fear of being left behind. My kids showed me the net in 95 and when they ran a search for jewelry , although slow, I was amazed what pop-ed up. When we started this we informed our suppliers of what our plans were and almost everyone blew it off as some dumb business plan. My store is all designers so we figured the consumer would use search to find what they were looking for because we did not have the capital for a national ad campaign. 4 years ago we put up our new site and then the chatter started. The problem was that prior to the net every store had their own marketing territory. These stores had the business locked into their area and they were happy. The net wiped out this exclusive territory and many owners became upset because we were now doing business in their home towns. It was o.k for Neiman Marcus and Saks to send out catalogs to every customer with income levels over what ever but the net WAS different. It''s not. Every luxury brand is in someone else''s back yard. Believe me I feel the heat from other dealers of the brands I deal in and the designers are under pressure to explain to them what they do not understand. This net is the greatest marketing tool that a B&M has. The problem is change and understanding of it. When we first started we had to depend on outside sources to develop our site. These were not profession jewelers but for the most part small advertising agency''s trying to interpret what the jeweler thought they needed . Neither side really understood what the other needed and I think that still exists today and is a damper on more B&M not jumping on the net.

I also think that the B&M stores perceive the net buyer to be to price conscious and they feel they can''t deal at the levels of profit they deal with on the net This is true with some customers but not all. I certainly want the best price when I shop. When I purchased my last car it was info from the net. The salesman understood what I had done and didn''t have a problem with it. The biggest thing I hear is from the customers. Those that have dealt with me know that I personally answer the emails. I spend a tremendous amount of time doing this but I feel it necessary to break the ice with the ones that do not know me. What I am hearing more than anything else is service in the B&M stores. Interesting fact of my site, 90 % of the purchasers are 32 years of age and younger. 90% of these are bridal customers and their walking into their local stores and being turned off by the sales people, talked down to, not giving them what they request, and in some cases assuming they can''t afford their products. These are huge mistakes and the B&M''s had better wake up to this situation. The people, and I will make a big assumption here, are using the net to get the service that is lacking in their home stores. Also, the net does not allow for discrimination. I talk to everyone and I haven''t a clue what you look like or do I care. The key is that you visit and I for one am very grateful for that.

When I talk to other retailers the biggest fear I hear them voice is fraud and distrust of dealing on the net. It''s kind of like a catch 22. I tell them that in the years I''ve been doing this I have not had a problem. In most cases the people who have come over the net are great because they come as a educated customer. A educated customer is much easier to deal with and you don''t have to spend hours educating them. I believe out trade magazines are devoting a lot of editorial to this subject weather the B&M takes heart is up to them. They are missing a very nice group of people
This is actually what drove me to find PS, I had not been able to find a jewler who recognized that though both myself and my SO are baby faced that we are adults would like a base level of respect. I was thrilled when I found a jewler in Tuscaloosa who didnt care if I walked in jeans and a sweater (I volunteer with disadvantagede kids and dress this way often). Since then I have bought a number of birthday graduation and intitation gifts from their store. I wish I could convince them to join PS, but I am too nervous to bring it up.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
M, Don''t be nervous about it. I think B&M''s are at a point where they might be more receptive given the environment today. Just ask them.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have bought numerous items from a couple of local shops. In both cases, I initially bought something from them off ebay. The introduction was the internet. Strange, I didn''t think of this sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results