shape
carat
color
clarity

How to feel comfortable with Tiffany authenticity on ebay?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
In thinking through which piece of jewelry I might enjoy for my 20th wedding anniversary (which is still a while away) I have found that one option I love is the Tiffany Embrace half eternity band - diamond/platinum/2.2mm. It's pretty pricy new, so I might consider buying one used on ebay. However, I am so worried about buying a ring that is not authentic. What steps should I take to ensure it is the real thing and not a counterfeit?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately Tiffany is faked and replicated. With diamond set jewellery it is less likely but still done.
a fellow PSer was deceived with a Tiffany Love Bangle, it was solid gold but only a replica so it was an expensive and upsetting discovery.
I‘ve been ebaying over 16 years but I wouldn’t buy Tiffany on eBay.
for me it’s more to do with the price premium. I don’t pay extra, preloved, for “names”. To be buying Tiffany, at their prices, is about having and enjoying the whole buying experience so it makes no sense to me to pay extra for a hallmark that will be hidden inside the ring for no one to see.
obviously buying with the relevant paperwork, box and bag helps but unfortunately even these are “faked” these days. Tiffany doesn’t “authenticate” their pieces anymore so it’s difficult to be sure unless you submit it for resizing or cleaning and they decline you.
buying from larger and reputable business sellers on eBay with years on eBay and thousands of feedback is much safer than the random private seller with a few previous sales.
be cautious, look at and understand the style and placement of hallmarking, look at genuine Tiffany paperwork and boxes to know what to look for.
even preloved Tiffany pieces are more expensive than the sum of their parts so it’s important to receive a Tiffany if that’s what you have paid for.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I don't know much about Tiffany, but assuming it comes with a certificate of authenticity can't you get the company to confirm it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about Tiffany, but assuming it comes with a certificate of authenticity can't you get the company to confirm it?

Unfortunately No, Tiffany doesn’t authenticate pieces. And they don’t replace lost paperwork or boxes. The best you can hope for is them accepting a piece for cleaning or adjusting and by that assuming it must be genuine because the won’t touch replicas or fakes.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately there is no real way to be sure. Someone just this year on PS bought an item that looked authentic from the pictures online but the item sent was not authentic and not the item in the pictures. The best you can do is judge the pictures/seller history, take it to an appraiser who has expertise with branded pieces, and take it to Tiffany for cleaning. And even then, you'll just be able to be "reasonably sure," not "100% sure." So if 100% sure is what you need, you are better off buying at Tiffany.

JohnnyAngel

Rough_Rock
I’d go through an established Tiffany reseller. The biggest one I know of is Blue Chip Jewelry. Off the top of my head I can also think of Diamond Ten and Bloomsbury Manor out of the UK. If you take it to Tiffany for a polish or resize and they won’t do it, then you know you’ve got a fake. A simple cleaning at a store wouldn’t cut it for me because I could imagine a good fake getting by retail store employees.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Bron357 @TODiamonds @distracts @rockhoundofficiando and @JohnnyAngel for your advice and information!! Many of your comments confirmed what I was already feeling - I am not sure that I could really get comfortable buying a used Tiffany piece and knowing it is authentic. If I could afford, it I am sure I would enjoy the experience of going to Tiffany and getting the real deal, however that is not my circumstance currently. When I am ready to make a decision on my 20th wedding anniversary present, and if I decide to go with a diamond band, I will most likely start by going to ID Jewelry.

Reactions: prs

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I’d go through an established Tiffany reseller. The biggest one I know of is Blue Chip Jewelry. Off the top of my head I can also think of Diamond Ten and Bloomsbury Manor out of the UK. If you take it to Tiffany for a polish or resize and they won’t do it, then you know you’ve got a fake. A simple cleaning at a store wouldn’t cut it for me because I could imagine a good fake getting by retail store employees.

Thank you for mentioning these sources - I had not heard of any of them, and I do think I would feel more comfortable purchasing from them rather than ebay.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in love with the ring because it's a Tiffany or because of the style?

If the latter then have you considered reaching out to David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles? He did my wife's custom e-ring and prices are very reasonable. They can use pictures, etc to create a CAD, then plastic model and finally a finished piece.

Then you could slap some supa dupa ideal stones in for the magic sparkle dance. Although depending on stone size you may want to work directly with a super ideal vendor like WF to re-create a similar piece using their super ideal melee.

It's my opinion, you'd likely end up spending less and have a superior performing ring, assuming the Tiffany name doesn't bring value & happiness into the equation.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in love with the ring because it's a Tiffany or because of the style?

If the latter then have you considered reaching out to David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles? He did my wife's custom e-ring and prices are very reasonable. They can use pictures, etc to create a CAD, then plastic model and finally a finished piece.

Then you could slap some supa dupa ideal stones in for the magic sparkle dance. Although depending on stone size you may want to work directly with a super ideal vendor like WF to re-create a similar piece using their super ideal melee.

It's my opinion, you'd likely end up spending less and have a superior performing ring, assuming the Tiffany name doesn't bring value & happiness into the equation.

I love the ring because of its style, and because I can actually try it on and know exactly how it is going to look/feel. I do like your idea of reaching out to David Klass/HPD, but honestly the custom process seems nerve-racking to me. I figured that going to ID Jewelry in person might be a happy medium for me.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Any good independent jeweler will be able to design something very similar to anything made by Tiffany. In fact I am pretty sure they are all used to it by now and probably have a lot of experience with their designs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't consider custom at just any independent jeweler. That is extremely risky, The advantage of Tiffany is that they have an excellent line of bands and you can try them on and be sure the ring is the right height and width to go with the engagement ring.

Going to a jewelry store like ID Jewelry that may carry a wide selection of bands is another good idea.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't consider custom at just any independent jeweler. That is extremely risky, The advantage of Tiffany is that they have an excellent line of bands and you can try them on and be sure the ring is the right height and width to go with the engagement ring.

Going to a jewelry store like ID Jewelry that may carry a wide selection of bands is another good idea.

Hi Diamondseeker, In looking back through old posts about shared prong settings, I see that you had/have a Memoire petite prong. This would be another stye I could potentially try on in person. Do you think their pricing is similar to Tiffany, or a bit lower? Do you still recommend Memoire? A low comfortable setting is important to me. Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Diamondseeker, In looking back through old posts about shared prong settings, I see that you had/have a Memoire petite prong. This would be another stye I could potentially try on in person. Do you think their pricing is similar to Tiffany, or a bit lower? Do you still recommend Memoire? A low comfortable setting is important to me. Thank you!

I sold that band awhile back and have worn a Tiffany Legacy band for several years. I will say that the Memoire is similar in quality to Tiffany, but I do prefer the basket settings of Tiffany shared prong rings better. Both rings are set low and work with almost any engagement ring. Both are priced pretty high, but Memoire is lower than Tiffany. There is also a possibility of getting Memoire at a discount whereas it is not with Tiffany. Pearlman's Jewelers used to be a great source for Memoire with good pricing. I'd check with them if your local jeweler doesn't discount it. Do tell them that you heard of them on Pricescope. I did upgrade my diamonds on my Memoire band. You can bump up color and clarity a little and pay more. So check that pricing, too.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I sold that band awhile back and have worn a Tiffany Legacy band for several years. I will say that the Memoire is similar in quality to Tiffany, but I do prefer the basket settings of Tiffany shared prong rings better. Both rings are set low and work with almost any engagement ring. Both are priced pretty high, but Memoire is lower than Tiffany. There is also a possibility of getting Memoire at a discount whereas it is not with Tiffany. Pearlman's Jewelers used to be a great source for Memoire with good pricing. I'd check with them if your local jeweler doesn't discount it. Do tell them that you heard of them on Pricescope. I did upgrade my diamonds on my Memoire band. You can bump up color and clarity a little and pay more. So check that pricing, too.

Thank you Diamondseeker for all the information! I will take a look at Memoire and perhaps reach out to Pearlman's. I absolutely love the Tiffany basket setting as well, but wondering if I should be flexible on basket in order for the band to sit very low. I will think about it.

In regards to Legacy, that is a beautiful band! It is very similar to my original wedding band, which is bead set. My band does not have milgrain however. My wedding band is about 3.6mm and I have worn it by itself for the last 9 years, and it is a workhorse! It was custom made by a local jeweler, and I have been so happy with it. Because of its rather wide size, I find it to not be an excellent candidate for stacking. I'm hoping a shared prong between 2 and 3mm will stack nicely with another band I own. I love the scalloped look of the shared prong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results