shape
carat
color
clarity

How to describe this halo type?

heiny

Rough_Rock
I've been talking to a few jewelers about making this halo setting, but so far each of them have used different terms on how to set the halo diamonds. Any help on what type of halo this is, or terminology on how these stones would set would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be having a disconnect when talking to jewelers. Thanks!

oval_halo_1.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like... bead set diamonds?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fish-tail, u-cut, or split claw prongs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI, the shank of that ring is WAY too thin. Go for 1.8mm minimum for a pave shank. Also, never use a jeweler who is not known for their custom pave work because there are plenty out there who do not do it well. We can recommend several if you want.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a profile shot? It looks like fish tale / v-cut pave to me.

The other popular type is cut down / u-cut pave which this doesn't look like but I could be wrong since there is only one view.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i have nothing to add but did not realise there are so many types of pave
:read: :read: :-o

thadanim

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1388985504|3587258 said:
Just FYI, the shank of that ring is WAY too thin. Go for 1.8mm minimum for a pave shank. Also, never use a jeweler who is not known for their custom pave work because there are plenty out there who do not do it well. We can recommend several if you want.

Would appreciate if you could recommend some. Was thinking of VC or probably getting WF or JA to make one for me if i get the stone from them.

OP sorry for hijacking your thread.

Cheers!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the problem. Not all jewelers use the same terms to describe the same thing.

We can tell you what terms to use with a pricescope jeweler because they usually use the same terms we do, or at least they understand the terms we use.

Also as Diamondseeker pointed out, that shank is dangerously thin on the pictured ring. And with only that one shot, all I can tell you about the pave is that is not bright cut. More than that we would need more, and better images of the pave itself to help you identify what was exactly used. That said, most types of V or U cut pave will get you a similar look if the point size is correct and there is just enough but not too much metal.

It might be easier to start with the basics.

Which jewelers are you speaking to?
What is the fabrication method of the bench they are planning on using for your project?
What metal are you asking for (with that pave it should be platinum)?
What terms are they using?
Where do you think the disconnect is coming from?

heiny

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help so far. Unfortunately that's the only pic my gf showed me so I don't have another angle. Thus far I've talked to 4 local jewelers in the metro Detroit area. Some are saying this is too fragile and the diamonds will pop out so one wants to do shared prongs, another micro prongs. Am I correct in questioning if this will have me the look she wants?

As for the band most have quoted a 1.5mm shank. My gf wants it as thin as possible as her ring size is 3.5. 1.8mm still seems thin enough. I would really appreciate any recommendations since the people I've talked too haven't been the most reassuring. Also, I should be describing the halo as pave then?

Thanks again

heiny

Rough_Rock
Everyone's replies have really helped. Since you all threw out some types of pave I've been able to research those. I think my problem was I never knew there were so many kinda of pave.

I would still love some recommendations on jewelers if anyone can help with that.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
heiny|1389018447|3587376 said:
I would still love some recommendations on jewelers if anyone can help with that.

Have you gone to Karagosian's in Sylvan Lake?

heiny

Rough_Rock
No, thanks for the reference I'll add them to my list. I'm open to dealing with some one online or out of state as well. no sales tax is a huge plus

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results