carat
color
clarity

How to clean diamond studs attached to ears

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have like the silliest question ever!

So I have these studs which I like but they are screw backs and are a pain to take on off. I have recently taken to wearing them to save money on buying more earrings (long story) because they are nice and neutral.

I would like to give them a scrub every few days to keep them sparkly. Can I use shower gel? I know I can use dishwashing liquid but I'm reluctant to squeeze that onto a toothbrush and scrub a part of my ear with it so will shower gel do or has that got moisturising ingredients which will make my studs gunky?

Also planning to keep diamond pendant on so whatever answer I get I will apply to that as well. The plan is to take a toothbrush into the shower and scrubs down the diamonds quickly every 2 days or so.

Thank you!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
57EBFCFA-ABEE-4BD5-A97F-8A9C3943A593.jpeg

Dazzle stick to the rescue!! After you’re finished in the shower, use this, then rinse. It’ll do in a pinch! Much better than shower gel, IMO. A little handheld mirror nearby might help, too!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend cleaning screw posts more often than regular posts.

When you take them out after a few days... look at the screws - there will be some grime between the threads. I wouldn’t want that grime - dead skin cells, hair products, oils - sitting in my piercing for any longer than absolutely necessary!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Detach them lol.
But honest answer use a baby tooth brush in the shower is what I’ve heard some people do - which I see is already your plan.

I am crazy about cleaning my studs even the screw backs I took out twice a day to clean haha

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just use a toothbrush in the shower. No soap.

(On jewelry.:oops:)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What about a little white vinegar? Bonus is that if you give your hair a vinegar rinse, it will be shinier too.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I find the diamond dazzle stick to be very convenient and the smooth tip to the brush allows me to get down underneath settings easily. It's available at most drug stores and some of the bigger grocers.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really need to get in behind your studs to clean off the skin and bodily secretions that will otherwise build up. If you really don’t want to take them off, loosen them so there’s room to clean behind them in the shower with your soap and brush.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loosen them, go over both the diamonds AND posts with an alcohol wipe (or a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol), and that’s that. Cleaning and disinfecting in one action =)2.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A bit of alcohol on a lint free cloth every day should do the trick. But seriously, take them out once a week. My mom got an infected ear piercing from leaving in a pair of screw backs for months when I was a child. As @yssie said, screw posts trap dirt, oil, and dead skin and hair cells in the threads. Not cleaning them can lead to a nasty skin infection or can result in the screw becoming stuck on the post. You don't want to end up like this lady:
https://jezebel.com/5653371/my-earring-got-so-gross-it-had-to-be-cut-from-my-ear

Sure, it might take 10 minutes once a week, but removing them, soaking them in soap and/or alcohol, and cleaning the piercing as well will prevent any complications. I think it's worth your 10 minutes (my Mom would agree ;-) ).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really need to get in behind your studs to clean off the skin and bodily secretions that will otherwise build up. If you really don’t want to take them off, loosen them so there’s room to clean behind them in the shower with your soap and brush.
I would not risk losing it by loosening it in the shower...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not like screw backs much. Not only do the threads pick up all sorts of detritus, the posts themselves are larger than most posts, so they often irritate the earlobe as they "ratchet" into the ear.

Just as importantly, they tend to give a false sense of security. They can come loose if not properly tightened.

Wink

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daily-wear studs are also screwbacks, and I agree they can be a PITA to take on/off to clean, but I can’t stand the gunk that gets into them so I just keep a little dish w/Mr. Clean diluted with water to toss them in when I shower so they can get clean and I can clean my piercing holes in the shower. Then a quick rinse after the shower and back in they go.

If you don’t like the hindrance of them being screwbacks, can you have them converted to regular push-backs? Not sure how easy or costly that might be.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am a gross human and don't take out my studs very often to clean them, but I don't have screwbacks. I keep a toothbrush in the shower and use a drop of my clarifying shampoo.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonabrasive toothpaste works too.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Convert the backs to La Pousette or Guardian! I have the former and they are a godsend. The springs in the backing will still fail over time but I figure replacing them once a year or so isn't too bad.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think you need to bite the bullet and unscrew these. Even with cleaning there will be a substantial deposit of dead skin, bacteria, etc. I wouldn't want that hanging around.

But I've probably had too many microbiology courses :shock:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you gorgeous peeps!

I do take them out once a week or maybe a fortnight as I usually change earrings for Date Day/Night an give them a good clean then.

I'll scrub with a toothbrush tonight with a bit of shampoo as per @liaerfbv and see how I go!

The diamond Dazzle Stik sounds awesome for on the run cleaning but I don't think they stock it in Aus so I will investigate that!

Haha basically I've got the message: Remove your damn studs you grub :lol:

This is why I like rings and wore hoops for like a decade! Earrings and necklaces are such a pest to change! Rings and bangles are sooooooo easy to slip in and out of!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results