shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

How to care for leather handbag...

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by Peepa, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Peepa
    Shiny_Rock

by Peepa » Feb 2, 2011
    Hi,

Any tips on how to care for a leather handbag?
    How do you store?
    Which leather conditioner to use, if any?
    Does it need to be treated with some kind of water repellent?
    Anything else I'm missing?

2. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Feb 3, 2011
    Hi Peepa,

Really if you care for your bag properly you shouldn't need to use anything on it. The best way is to store the bag in its dustbag if available in a dark cupboard away from dust and sunlight. I use acid free tissue paper to stuff my bags so they keep their shape while being stored. Keep the bag out of the rain, in fact, make sure the bag stays dry at all times. Also keep the bag away from radiators and heaters as this can dry the leather.

If you feel you need to put something on it then there are various leather conditioners on the market but always do a patch test first if you want to use them as sometimes the results can be unpredictable. Also if you have an exotic skin bag such as crocodile or lizard etc, be very very careful and don't put anything on the bag without expert advice.

If your bag has a light coloured handle and you don't want it to darken due to the oils in your hands, you can protect it by wrapping it with a twilly or scarf.

Hope this helps.

3. boerumbiddy
    Shiny_Rock

by boerumbiddy » Mar 13, 2017
    What's a twilly? I have Coach bags, which are hard to wear out, but the leather does get dry sometimes and Coach makes its own conditioner. Have never tried it on any other brands, though, for the very sound reasons listed above. Indeed, if it is really expensive, keep it in a bag between uses. (I used to watch those high-end real estate ladies on "Selling New York" walk around with their large Kelly and Birkin bags, almost to prove how much money they were making.)