shape
carat
color
clarity

How to buy on ebay?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
What steps would you take to protect yourself from being burned while buying from a private seller on ebay?

Slowball41

Rough_Rock
if it were me and i use ebay alot i would do a few simple things:

first i would check the sellers feedback read a few pages and check to see if they have any negative or neutral feedback; I would then read what the buyer wrote for negative/neutral feedback and check for a response from the seller

i would only use paypal as my method of payment for added protection

i would check for a return policy 3/7/30 day(s) and check for 'restocking' fees for returned diamonds. some sellers will take back the diamond but will charge you a return fee, so do not, and some do not accept returns

i would then check out the diamond itself, and see it it's be graded (certified and by which lab)

i would then plug the numbers (if certified) in the HCA (so you can get the best cut/looking diamond for your budget)

i would also email the seller and ask whatever questions you may have about the diamond/them

and lastly if youve found a diamond you love i would sleep on it at least one night to make sure your heads clear and its not an impluse purchase, there are plenty of diamonds another one will come up, and you dont want to regret your purchase diamond arent cheap (i know i recently purchased one for my future fi) they last forever

hope this helps
good luck

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
someone with a lot, several dozen to several hundred positive reviews. Read thru their reviews. If its someone with under 40 or so rating, ask for some kind of insurance or other protection. Paypal if its a item of greater cost. Lastly, If it feels wrong it probably IS wrong or not up to snuff with a legit deal. Lots of CE items in diamonds on there. READ EVERY bit of fine PRINT. the latin saying Caveat emptor, buyer beware!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I have talked to the seller, she is just a regular person selling her old engagement ring. She posted 2 appraisals from 1996 on the ring. One talks about AGS grading but she doesn't have a report. She is willing to take it to an independent appraiser to have it graded. If all checks out I think this might be a great deal. I have no clue why the original appraisal mentions AGS if there is no report.

Cut - Round Brilliant (1)
Color - J-K (AGS 2 1/2)
Clarity - VS1
Carat Weight - 1.40 measured in mounting

Notes on finish: Diamond has two small chips on girdle. Chips are not visible to the human eye.

Appraised at $15,000

SPARKLES LIKE CRAZY!!!!

Slowball41

Rough_Rock
not that i wouldnt trust her, but i wouldnt trust where she would go to an appraiser and also she may not ask the questions you may what to and its also more difficult to receive second hand information. ask her what her return policy is and if you think youve got a good price fair deal, buy the diamond and have it checked yourself if you dont like it then just return it (if this is something she will agree to)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Now I directed her to one of the independents found here on PS. I want to know the color, cut grade, get all of the measurements, a good picture of the stone, etc. This seems like an older stone, like 30+ years. Original appraisal from 1996 talk about an appraisal from a consignment from 1984.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
good deal...I am not sure how good of a deal. If there was an AGS report and it was really an AGS 1 cut grade, and really a J VS1 it might be a great deal. But there isn't, and maybe AGS stand for AlliesGreatSparklies, and I think it is a J VS1 :) what the hell do I know?

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Allie,

Make sure that ring is INSURED! I had a terrible incident happen to me about 3 months ago. I paid $7000 for a 2 carat diamond ring from a seller with over 1200 in positive feedback. The items she sold were "juicy couture" keychains. I opened up my package to find nothing but TISSUE PAPER. I was devastated. Thankfully, I had opened the package in a doorman building and my concierge and the mailman saw the whole thing happen. I got a statement from my doorman and had the package reweighed at the post office to prove it was the same weight as when it had been shipped. Her return address was also faulty and led me to a plot of land on google maps...her zip code was FOUR digits and her city was incorrect (I recorded everything the postal office worker told me on my iphone as evidence). I paid $31 for shipping + insurance, the postage on my package was $4.31 for shipment + tracking, NO INSURANCE! I filed a police report the very next day. Make sure you pay with a credit card and through paypal helps as well. I was covered under ebay's buyer protection plan and got my money back. But what a nightmare and right before thanksgiving. I personally won't buy from anybody but a top rated seller because of this incident. However if you email her and make sure in the message that she states she will insure the package (even it if says so on the listing) MAKE SURE she messages you that she will, you should be okay.

I don't mean to upset you or make you nervous but I felt after reading your headline I should share my experience. There are plenty of other positive experiences that people have from buying a ring on ebay (as I am sure you are well aware), just make sure you take these precautionary steps and you will be fine!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I asked her if I can just buy it and return it if it doesn't work out but she is worried about paypal hitting her with fees. As long as she takes it to an independent appraiser and I get all of my answers and the stone checks out I might make a move on it.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty sure that if the seller offers a return policy ebay will reimburse her for the fees if you return the item. I returned something through ebay and I had to go through an ebay return process and agree to the return. I am sure ebay reimburses seller fees, or else less people would sell on ebay and offer return policies, with less return policies less people would buy--especially higher profit items.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, for me personally, the steps I take are to never buy things on Ebay lol

My friend V is in the process of a serious dispute now. She bid and won an "Antique Pear Necklace" from a seller with excellent (and a lot of) feedback and when she got it, it was CLEARLY fake, and the setting and chain were clearly fake and cheap, and she's shocked the stone was still in it. She took it to get tested at a jeweler and the jeweler confirmed it. She filed a dispute and now the seller is complaining that she filed the dispute, and that she got it tested before listing it. I have seen pics of this thing and there is no freaking way it is real, nor would any jeweler agree that it is. She's just lucky she bought with an Amex!

I am just not willing to risk it. There are some sellers on there like I think OakGem and Doyle maybe, that have great reputations and have great reviews on here. So maybe someday Ill be willing to try them. But I don't trust anyone on that site anymore!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
According to the auction, the seller states no returns. If she is going to allow you to return it, have her update the return policy.

I looked at one of her feedback. Her reply was a little nasty. Makes me wonder how she would handle it if you were unhappy.

Appraisal looks a bit sketchy. Definitely get diamond looked at.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. In this situation I would make an offer, in writing in ebay messaging, contingent on a two week inspection period. Pay with your credit card through PayPal, purchase through Ebay (she can post a new listing for you or change the existing to reflect the deal you strike). And then take it to an appraiser yourself. That's all. I would not bother having her take it to an appraiser, you should not rely on information provided by an appraiser to the seller. The appraiser needs to be working *for you*, and you pay the appraiser. Also, the risk of having her go to the appraiser is she might learn something that makes her want more money ;))

Ebay/PayPal reimburses her fees if she refunds through PayPal, except about 50cents.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found the listing, Allie, and I am not optimistic. The second appraisal just uses the first as the basis for its information, and the first says nothing. I think the "AGS" reference is liek saying "GIA gemologist", meaning little or nothing. I think there is no AGS lab report. I would not consider that one, personally, it is a one in a million it is nicely cut!

Before going further ask the vendor to take a photo for you in natural daylight looking straight down at the diamond with the table centered (maybe give a link to the type of photo you mean). You can ask her to e=mail you the photos. You will be able to tell enough from a photo like that to know if it is well cut enough to consider.

I think you would do much better making an offer in a message to this seller, below. The diamond looks like an early modern RB, maybe a transitional, see the arrows? And the setting is lovely, 7 day returns, little risk. A diamond like this is look essentially like a round brilliant, though not as good as an AGS0 ;)) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/220921988585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
It sold.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1327115402|3107972 said:
I found the listing, Allie, and I am not optimistic. The second appraisal just uses the first as the basis for its information, and the first says nothing. I think the "AGS" reference is liek saying "GIA gemologist", meaning little or nothing. I think there is no AGS lab report. I would not consider that one, personally, it is a one in a million it is nicely cut!

Before going further ask the vendor to take a photo for you in natural daylight looking straight down at the diamond with the table centered (maybe give a link to the type of photo you mean). You can ask her to e=mail you the photos. You will be able to tell enough from a photo like that to know if it is well cut enough to consider.

I think you would do much better making an offer in a message to this seller, below. The diamond looks like an early modern RB, maybe a transitional, see the arrows? And the setting is lovely, 7 day returns, little risk. A diamond like this is look essentially like a round brilliant, though not as good as an AGS0 ;)) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/220921988585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Dreamer you wouldn't be concerned of no cert on that last one?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I also just don't use ebay anymore for high price items. I was swindled out of $400 bucks a few yrs ago, and ever since then I've never used them again. Sorry, Allie, I'm no help!! Good luck finding your new ring!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An appraisal is not ‘independent’ if the seller is the client. Hire your own while you’re still within the return period if you're worried. If there’s no return period, or if the seller puts restrictions on your ability to do this, don’t do the deal.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1327153076|3108172 said:
Dreamer_D|1327115402|3107972 said:

Dreamer you wouldn't be concerned of no cert on that last one?

Allie, the one you are considering has no cert! Read the listing carefully, there is no lab report, it is only "appraisals".

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
so, the seller has tried to send me some decent pictures but she is unable to do so. Everything is very fuzzy even in macro mode. I am not sure what to suggest next, or if I would just move on from this! Suggestions please. I told her to use macro mode in a well lit area. Should I post what she sent me?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allie I would not personally buy a modern round brilliant without a lab report from GIA or AGS or at least EGL with proportions. 99.9% of modern round brilliants are just badly cut, and that means it is most likely this one is too. With fancies like OECs I am willing to gamble a litle more because they are rare and most don't have reports. But not moderns RBs. I would move on. But its up to you. If you proceed, make sure you BIN through ebay with a return/exhcange policy in writing from the seller.

mandarinmom9

Rough_Rock
I've often wondered this myself, as there are some very appealing stones on ebay. I have to disagree though with just merely trusting the "feedback". Unfortunately con artists have the capabilities of creating multiple accounts or.... I would pay with paypal and make sure its insured with ebay buyer protection.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Le sigh...I guess I have to let this one go. I do have my sights on a nice little emerald cut, and a halo from DBL. Are EC blingy at all? I saw a dud in the mall today.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
EC are not blingy at all, not like an RB. If you want a bigger rock on a budget I do suggest an OEC, they look nice when warm and you can get them for a steal. For $5000 you could get over 1.5ct.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a fan of old stones. Unless they are an antique cushions.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Ame:

On the topic of reputable sellers, I see OakGem, Doyle (DoyleandDolye in NYC?) and RubyLane frequently recommended. Any others?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieLuv83|1327331166|3109525 said:

Why? What exactly do you dislike about them, can you elucidate?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1327334469|3109588 said:
AllieLuv83|1327331166|3109525 said:

Why? What exactly do you dislike about them, can you elucidate?

Ditto.

In real life, to my eye, OECs just look like chunky modern RBs, at least the two I have. The faceting differences are only aparent in macro photography.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
The facet patterns aren't as appealing to me for some reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results