shape
carat
color
clarity

How to become a gemologist

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I think I am crazy. I really am. I already have a bachelors, masters, and a PH.D in Computer Science. I am currently working as a researcher in computational biology. I have done research in computational geometry. I love geometry and optics. Add to that, I am now crazy about diamonds and its optics. I think I want to be what CutNut and Oldminer are right now. I am glad that you agree I am crazy. Where do I start? Do I have get a diploma? where? how? What else?

Crazy, I am crazy for feeling so crazy:)

GOAL: establish ideal cut measurements for Emerald cut -- my favourite:)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am affiliated as a consultant and client of Imagem, Inc. I suggest you contact them as this is a high tech company, relatively a new company with a ton of growth potential and heavy into the computerization of diamond grading. You could do the diamond course from GIA with your credentials and education with ease, but you have far more to offer.

Take a look at www.imageminc.com You might find a very interesting job with these people. They are wonderful people to be associated with.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Crazy - not really - I got my G.G. (GIA distance program) while I was a full time prof in neurobiology in a large med school (took me ~20mo and several $K), and now that I''m retired I''m enjoying the retail end of this interesting trade full time...
emotion-15.gif

Go to www.gia.edu and peruse their G.G. requirements, and at least have fun doing the course work and on site courses! At that point you can then decide if you really want to make a change...Oh, and read every gemology book you can get your hands on and subscribe to and read the major trade journals! If nothing else you will have a great time!

Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crazy ? Join the ranks!
9.gif

It is not hard to obtain a paper saying you are a gemologist for less than most of these rings cost... GIA has distance classes, AIGS puts up a good one, and there are others including university courses. I wouldn''t know how respected are every and each gemology course out there aside the tops. Making use of the paper is yet another thing: do you really want a career change ?
20.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I DO NOT intend to make a career change. I like what I am doing right now. But I do want to get into gemology at the side. You never know, ultimately I might be doing gemology fulltime and biology part-time:)

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
JQ, did you to attend U-Texas? Oops, my bad. You are from Houston. I recently moved from Dallas to DC. Was in Dallas for 5 years. GO COWBOYS.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Kevin,

I graduated from a Pac-10 school, but have done post-grad work at UT since I came to the lone star state. It''s been my adopted loyalty for years. As for the pros, I love the ''boys and Parcells. Can''t wait til we have a QB.

Which part of big D did you live in?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
U-Texas... this reminds me of their gemoogy course THIS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results