shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Authenticate a Tiffany & Co piece?

nkc

Shiny_Rock
How do I authenticate a Tiffany & Co piece I recently acquired?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post a photo of the hallmark, maybe i can help.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
The hallmark looks perfect and similar to the hallmark on items I bought directly from Tiffany store. I just wanted to know if there's a way I can get an official written verification.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
The hallmark looks perfect and similar to the hallmark on items I bought directly from Tiffany store. I just wanted to know if there's a way I can get an official written verification.

Tiffany doesn't provide an authentication service. I believe in recent years they cracked down on this.

For written documentation, you'd probably have to research who is a reliable authenticator of Tiffany goods and pay for authentication. When you pay for authentications (like for high end purses, etc) you get or can get written documentation of it. I suspect the same may apply for high end jewelry.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany no longer offers an authentication service for anyone other than the original buyer. There are plenty of appraisers out there who can do it, and it's usually not even all that hard, but that boils down to the credibility of the appraiser and, in any case, it's not the same as a statement from Tiffany.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where was the piece bought?

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany no longer offers an authentication service for anyone other than the original buyer. There are plenty of appraisers out there who can do it, and it's usually not even all that hard, but that boils down to the credibility of the appraiser and, in any case, it's not the same as a statement from Tiffany.
Thank you DA. I have a GAI appraisal. Does this mean anything?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany will only work on their own pieces. In one instance I had a new chain put on a vintage pendant and therefore had a receipt. I assume you could have your item polished and would then have a record of it being worked on by Tiffany. Quite a roundabout way of getting authentication!
I would not trust an appraiser to know the nuances of the various hallmarks used over the years. Just because it is marked with a pretty credible-looking Tiffany mark doesn't mean it is real, and conversely, just because the hallmark looks weird or sloppy doesn't mean it's a fake.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a GAI appraisal. Does this mean anything?

It depends on what you think of GAI and what your objectives are in getting the document.

Last edited:

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany will only work on their own pieces. In one instance I had a new chain put on a vintage pendant and therefore had a receipt. I assume you could have your item polished and would then have a record of it being worked on by Tiffany. Quite a roundabout way of getting authentication!
I would not trust an appraiser to know the nuances of the various hallmarks used over the years. Just because it is marked with a pretty credible-looking Tiffany mark doesn't mean it is real, and conversely, just because the hallmark looks weird or sloppy doesn't mean it's a fake.
Thank you Jimmianne. The piece is close to new so I don't plan on polishing it. Would cleaning it at Tiffany be good enough?

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I have a GAI appraisal. Does this mean anything?

It depends on what you think of GAI and what your objectives are in getting the document.
Like I said above, my objective is to get written documentation.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's always more to it or you can just write it yourself. For example, a lot of people would like to insure the piece in a way that causes the insurance company to replace it with a genuine Tiffany in the case of a covered loss. Mostly insurers will agree to a report from any reasonably qualified appraiser, probably including GAI. Others want to sell it and use the report to convince a buyer that it's real. It's for advertising purposes. That'll be based on what THE BUYER thinks of whoever wrote the report. It's about the reputation of the author. I'm going to venture a guess that this is how you got the GAI thing in the first place. Still others want to convince themselves that they made a wise purchase and are comparing to seller supplied documents. That has to do with what THEY think of the author. These are very different. There are more, and the answer to your question is not the same for all of them.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
There's always more to it or you can just write it yourself. For example, a lot of people would like to insure the piece in a way that causes the insurance company to replace it with a genuine Tiffany in the case of a covered loss. Mostly insurers will agree to a report from any reasonably qualified appraiser, probably including GAI. Others want to sell it and use the report to convince a buyer that it's real. It's for advertising purposes. That'll be based on what THE BUYER thinks of whoever wrote the report. It's about the reputation of the author. I'm going to venture a guess that this is how you got the GAI thing in the first place. Still others want to convince themselves that they made a wise purchase and are comparing to seller supplied documents. That has to do with what THEY think of the author. These are very different. There are more, and the answer to your question is not the same for all of them.[/QUOTE
Based on that, the GAI is good enough.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I'm not clear why you asked me to post a picture of the Hallmark if the Hallmark does not mean much even if it is credible-looking. Anyway, I'm not questioning the authenticity of the piece or the hallmark. I'm just looking for a way to get written documentation.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the question might be why are you questioning the authenticity. Did you get it off an auction or preloved site and question the report? Do you have plans to resell the item and do not feel the GAI report will past muster? I think that the others are trying to assist you the best they can and are wondering why you need this documentation. Denverappraiser responded you best with different alternatives/reasons for possible needs to do this.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I think the question might be why are you questioning the authenticity. Did you get it off an auction or preloved site and question the report? Do you have plans to resell the item and do not feel the GAI report will past muster? I think that the others are trying to assist you the best they can and are wondering why you need this documentation. Denverappraiser responded you best with different alternatives/reasons for possible needs to do this.
Like I said in my response above, I'm not questioning the authenticity. So, that is not 'the question'. Denver Appraiser is always very helpful. Thank you for your reply and thanks to everyone who responded:))

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've studied Tiffany hallmarks for a long time and erroniously assumed you needed to be assured that you had purchased an authentic piece.
I am not sure that all appraisers are well-versed in the variety of Tiffany hallmarks over the years. I think my local appraiser would see "Tiffany&Co" on something and say it was Tiffany.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I've studied Tiffany hallmarks for a long time and erroniously assumed you needed to be assured that you had purchased an authentic piece.
I am not sure that all appraisers are well-versed in the variety of Tiffany hallmarks over the years. I think my local appraiser would see "Tiffany&Co" on something and say it was Tiffany.

I would agree with Jimmianne on this. If I were looking at a piece of pre owned Tiffany to buy, I'd want an authentication, not an appraisal.

Authenticators tend to take these things seriously, as their word is legally binding should questions arise. Written documentation will cost money, it won't be free if someone is going to give their binding word that could be used in an authenticity confrontation and written documentation is required in these cases.

For example....you want to buy a Hermes bag pre owned. There's only one person I'd go to for that authentication (and she's very reasonable). It's cheaper to get an authentication beforehand because once legal issues ensue, the price for authentication or providing details as to why it isn't goes up because then their opinion is going to be used for the case. And when filing a case say on eBay or with a credit card company, there are sets of authenticators that are considered reliable.

Same thing with anything high end that gets faked all the time. Cartier. Channel. Tiffany. Bvlgari, and so on. I'd want an authentication over an appraisal.

So what happens if an expensive piece of high end jewelry gets lost or whatever does the insurance company require proof of authenticity? And all you had was an appraisal? Seems like a loophole they would have thought about by now. Because if there's anything that insurance companies excel at, it's how to get around things.

Last edited:

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I would agree with Jimmianne on this. If I were looking at a piece of pre owned Tiffany to buy, I'd want an authentication, not an appraisal.

Authenticators tend to take these things seriously, as their word is legally binding should questions arise. Written documentation will cost money, it won't be free if someone is going to give their binding word that could be used in an authenticity confrontation and written documentation is required in these cases.

For example....you want to buy a Hermes bag pre owned. There's only one person I'd go to for that authentication (and she's very reasonable). It's cheaper to get an authentication beforehand because once legal issues ensue, the price for authentication or providing details as to why it isn't goes up because then their opinion is going to be used for the case. And when filing a case say on eBay or with a credit card company, there are sets of authenticators that are considered reliable.

Same thing with anything high end that gets faked all the time. Cartier. Channel. Tiffany. Bvlgari, and so on. I'd want an authentication over an appraisal.

So what happens if an expensive piece of high end jewelry gets lost or whatever does the insurance company require proof of authenticity? And all you had was an appraisal? Seems like a loophole they would have thought about by now. Because if there's anything that insurance companies excel at, it's how to get around things.
my question says 'authenticate' not 'appraise', so I agree with both of you. However, I'm looking for documentation only since I'm not questioning the authenticity (as I said before).
I'm looking for information on who can authenticate (meaning a point of contact only). Thanks to both of you for the reply.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Original receipts. How else are pieces authenticated?

cheers--Sharon

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I agree.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Someone with deep brand knowledge and a good reputation. An authenticator that knows what pieces were produced when with hallmarks that are appropriate for the piece I would guess are the bare minimum. (I'm just applying the info I know for other high end designer items that get faked a lot to this subset.)

As for op's question, if she wants a written statement of authenticity, she will not get one from Tiffany. That leaves her with exploring acquiring a written statement from a reputable authenticator of high end jewelry, IMO, because that is basically the only way to get one, despite not having a personal question about the authenticity. By wanting a statement of authenticity, you automatically entail the person writing it to authenticate because it's their name and credibility signing off on it. There are some out there that do them, but I don't know their reliability as my main experience does not lie in this but rather in purses and certain collectible scarves.

And any authenticator will tell you, receipts are easily faked. So many things are and there are superfakes out there too to add to the problem.

Last edited:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ETA (can't amend)- If the Tiffany piece involved a diamond of any size, you'd have two things to do, IMO. First, an authentication that the piece is Tiffany. Second, an appraisal that the stone you paid for was as described.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
ETA (can't amend)- If the Tiffany piece involved a diamond of any size, you'd have two things to do, IMO. First, an authentication that the piece is Tiffany. Second, an appraisal that the stone you paid for was as described.
Like I said many many many times before, I'm not questioning the authenticity (for many reasons I know). I'm only looking for documentation.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Like I said many many many times before, I'm not questioning the authenticity (for many reasons I know). I'm only looking for documentation.

Yes, I read and understand. By asking for documentation, despite your confidence that the piece is authentic, you are in fact asking someone to authenticate. I'd be seriously surprised if someone (an authenticator) agreed to write you an official letter stating that you have an official Tiffany piece based on your word without bothering to look your piece over. By asking for a letter from someone who authenticates you are asking, in fact, for an authentication (or written verification for your confidence that you have an authentic piece).

Look at it this way. That'd be like saying to an appraiser hey, I got this 2 carat G VS1 diamond here, can you write me a letter for my insurance? No really, you don't need to see it, I have my reasons I know it is G VS1. Same thing.

Or look at it this way. I purchase a Hermes purse. I KNOW it's a Hermes purse. I can't get a written letter from an authenticator without her looking at the piece before she writes it. And THAT is an authentication, despite me knowing I have an authentic purse in my possession. I still have to pay for that document (and authentication) even I already know or feel it is authentic.

Best of luck!

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I read and understand. By asking for documentation, despite your confidence that the piece is authentic, you are in fact asking someone to authenticate. I'd be seriously surprised if someone (an authenticator) agreed to write you an official letter stating that you have an official Tiffany piece based on your word without bothering to look your piece over. By asking for a letter from someone who authenticates you are asking, in fact, for an authentication (or written verification for your confidence that you have an authentic piece).

Look at it this way. That'd be like saying to an appraiser hey, I got this 2 carat G VS1 diamond here, can you write me a letter for my insurance? No really, you don't need to see it, I have my reasons I know it is G VS1. Same thing.

Or look at it this way. I purchase a Hermes purse. I KNOW it's a Hermes purse. I can't get a written letter from an authenticator without her looking at the piece before she writes it. And THAT is an authentication, despite me knowing I have an authentic purse in my possession. I still have to pay for that document (and authentication) even I already know or feel it is authentic.

Best of luck!
I never said they should take my word for it. I'm not sure where these assumptions came from. I appreciate your time and your reply but is only looking for a point of contact at this time. A person who does that for a living would know what they need to do and I would prefer to deal with them directly. Again, I'm only looking for a point of contact. Thanks again for your reply.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon. I know you're a Tiffany lover and has some beautiful pieces. Do you care about having written documentation (for any reason)?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What's confusing people is that you already have a written authentication statement from GAI, and you presumably believe it. It's unclear what's inadequate about what you have and therefore unclear what would be better for your purpose. There's a list of pros under the 'resources' tab at the top of the page who can probably help. Every one of them includes their contact information.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
What's confusing people is that you already have a written authentication statement from GAI, and you presumably believe it. It's unclear what's inadequate about what you have and therefore unclear what would be better for your purpose. There's a list of pros under the 'resources' tab at the top of the page who can probably help. Every one of them includes their contact information.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I think some people thought I'm questioning the authenticity so I clarified that I'm not. It is not because of the GAI I have but for other reasons I know. I'm looking for written documentation that would be considered (by all standards) equivalent to Tiffany documentation. When I asked if GAI is good enough, you said it depends on what I think of GAI. I would appreciate it if you could clarify what you said. Is their report true or not? Is this business regulated/ audited by anyone? What makes other appraisals better and are they better to everyone or depends on the person's opinion? Please note that I'm not grading a stone in this case.

Last edited:

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for written documentation that would be considered (by all standards) equivalent to Tiffany documentation.

If I were in the market for preloved Tiffany: I wouldn't consider any other written documentation the equivalent of the original Tiffany paperwork & documentation.

If I were familiar with the piece and felt comfortable enough to authenticate it myself & have an appraiser of MY choosing agree, then I would go ahead without the Tiffany paperwork.

If it were for insurance purposes: An appraisal by a qualified professional should be enough.

I'm not sure why else you would want this as you've repeated that you know it's authentic? In my opinion, no secondary paperwork is the absolute equivalent to actual original Tiffany paperwork.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results