shape
carat
color
clarity

How tight should a ring fit?

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
I need to select a size for my engagement ring and was wondering if there was a “rule of thumb” for how tight rings should fit. It will be my first ring so I’m not sure how it should fit!

I’m getting a solitaire with a 2.3ct MRB and would prefer it not to spin, but I also don’t want finger muffin top. The shank will be ~2mm. I have medium knuckles and my fingers are not cone shaped.

I have a set of plastic sizers that are 2.5mm thick. When I’m cold, my ring size is 3.75. After a meal, my ring size is probably 4.25, which would be very loose in the cold. 4 seems like a happy medium but it would be slightly too tight after a meal. I haven’t used the sizers in hot weather yet, so I’m worried my fingers might swell beyond 4.25.

Any tips?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re planning to wear it with a wedding band, that could also make a difference as things won’t feel as loose if you’re stacking.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I would probably do 4.25 (or at the smallest, 4.125) if I were you, since it would otherwise be too to tight in the summer and/or after a meal. Can you imagine what it would be like after a hot meal on an outdoor patio in the zenith of summer? :eek2::lol-2:

Like @MakingTheGrade mentioned, it would also become a little snugger with a wedding band, or any other stacking ring.

I’ve spent so much time perseveration on this exact same question, and in the end, the sad reality is that it will never be a perfect fit, and it’s likely to spin no matter what when it’s cold. I didn’t think I’d have to with my new ring, but I’ve been needing to wear a ring noodle to help with the spinning.

It just is what it is.... Too loose in the winter and at the end of the day, just right in the summer and/or first thing in the morning and/or with stacked rings.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mine a bit loose as I *really* swell up in the heat. It's loose enough that it will tilt forward if I shake my hand, but it's not loose enough to be at risk of falling off. It means that it does spin when I'm cold, but you know you get used to doing a little finger wiggle with your other fingers to re-center it pretty quickly. Even still, I have a simple (cheap) band that I wear during the summer or on hot vacations because otherwise I can't get my ring off and I hate having to soak my hand in cold water to do this. Better too loose than too tight IMO.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My ring is snug in the summer and spins and almost falls off in the winter. I have the plastic ring sizers I can pop on if my fingers get really small

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends.
How big are your knuckles?
How much does spinning bother you?
What kind of setting do you have?
Do sizing beads bother you?

I need a size 4.5 to get past my knuckle. When I get to where the ring sits, I’m a little bigger than a 4. I don’t like sizing beads or anything attached to my ring. My finger swells at night but shrinks pretty quickly and is more often loose and spinning rather than tight. So I live with spinning. I designed my ring to have a big base so it minimizes the spinning. I also have an intricate basket so I have a nice side view all the time. You have a solitaire. I would probably size it tighter rather than looser, a 4, because you will see the side view a lot if it spins. I would live with the tightness. I could not live with the spinning with your setting.

But really it’s hard to tell what you can live with and what you can’t until you wear it some.

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
If you’re planning to wear it with a wedding band, that could also make a difference as things won’t feel as loose if you’re stacking.

@MakingTheGrade Good point! My wedding band will be the Glace by The Gemstone Project which is a bit wide. Do you stack? How much larger is your e-ring? Are your bands the same size?

g.jpg

I would probably do 4.25 (or at the smallest, 4.125) if I were you, since it would otherwise be too to tight in the summer and/or after a meal. Can you imagine what it would be like after a hot meal on an outdoor patio in the zenith of summer? :eek2::lol-2:

Like @MakingTheGrade mentioned, it would also become a little snugger with a wedding band, or any other stacking ring.

I’ve spent so much time perseveration on this exact same question, and in the end, the sad reality is that it will never be a perfect fit, and it’s likely to spin no matter what when it’s cold. I didn’t think I’d have to with my new ring, but I’ve been needing to wear a ring noodle to help with the spinning.

It just is what it is.... Too loose in the winter and at the end of the day, just right in the summer and/or first thing in the morning and/or with stacked rings.

@ice empress I think you are right, 4.25 might be safest since I've only measured by itself. I hadn't accounted for a band at all. It seems fine to just deal with spinning when I'm cold...I definitely can't shake it off but I haven't tried subzero temperatures yet!

I also recently lost a bit of weight because of Invisalign which I'll be finished with in a few months. I might gain the weight back! I think the weight loss decreased my ring size by .25!

Also if you’re thinking of being pregnant anytime soon, another reason to err on the side of a looser fit.

@MakingTheGrade Do you know how much pregnancy changes your ring size?

I have mine a bit loose as I *really* swell up in the heat. It's loose enough that it will tilt forward if I shake my hand, but it's not loose enough to be at risk of falling off. It means that it does spin when I'm cold, but you know you get used to doing a little finger wiggle with your other fingers to re-center it pretty quickly. Even still, I have a simple (cheap) band that I wear during the summer or on hot vacations because otherwise I can't get my ring off and I hate having to soak my hand in cold water to do this. Better too loose than too tight IMO.

@cmd2014 I think you're right. Spinning isn't the end of the world in the cold!

My ring is snug in the summer and spins and almost falls off in the winter. I have the plastic ring sizers I can pop on if my fingers get really small

@Tophat1 Good tip with the plastic sizers! Thank you!

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
Depends.
How big are your knuckles?
How much does spinning bother you?
What kind of setting do you have?
Do sizing beads bother you?

I need a size 4.5 to get past my knuckle. When I get to where the ring sits, I’m a little bigger than a 4. I don’t like sizing beads or anything attached to my ring. My finger swells at night but shrinks pretty quickly and is more often loose and spinning rather than tight. So I live with spinning. I designed my ring to have a big base so it minimizes the spinning. I also have an intricate basket so I have a nice side view all the time. You have a solitaire. I would probably size it tighter rather than looser, a 4, because you will see the side view a lot if it spins. I would live with the tightness. I could not live with the spinning with your setting.

But really it’s hard to tell what you can live with and what you can’t until you wear it some.

Thanks for your advice @LLJsmom !

The setting is basically @valmanin 's gorgeous ERD solitaire. I wouldn't mind seeing the side of that!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/

Spinning in my everyday life would annoy me. Like when I'm giving a talk or presentation at work, I feel like it make me look sloppy. I think my average ring size is a 4, it's just slightly tight after I eat. It's not painful but I worry about the effect on circulation

I have never tried sizing beads but I think I'd only want them as a last resort.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to select a size for my engagement ring and was wondering if there was a “rule of thumb” for how tight rings should fit. It will be my first ring so I’m not sure how it should fit!

I’m getting a solitaire with a 2.3ct MRB and would prefer it not to spin, but I also don’t want finger muffin top. The shank will be ~2mm. I have medium knuckles and my fingers are not cone shaped.

I have a set of plastic sizers that are 2.5mm thick. When I’m cold, my ring size is 3.75. After a meal, my ring size is probably 4.25, which would be very loose in the cold. 4 seems like a happy medium but it would be slightly too tight after a meal. I haven’t used the sizers in hot weather yet, so I’m worried my fingers might swell beyond 4.25.

Any tips?

I gotta ask....your first ring?
You've never had a ring before?

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
I gotta ask....your first ring?
You've never had a ring before?
I’ve had cheap $10 rings as a teenager (loved Claire’s!) but I’ve never worn rings as an adult. I barely wear jewelry actually :lol-2: If anything, simple earrings like pearls or studs.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
The ring sizers felt wider to me and weren’t accurate. I’m a solid 3.75, and I hate loose rings that flop around especially when wearing coats or holding bags/ steering wheel in the car. I would stick with your true size and even with swelling your finger gets used to the ring. As long as the fit over the knuckle is comfortable. My ring and wedding band are each 2mm and both are a 3.75 and I am used to them stacked together without any discomfort. Also at 39 weeks on my 2nd pregnancy and each time my fingers stayed the same the whole time as well as postpartum... so I would size based on what fits now. You don’t want your ring flying off. 4.25 is a lot bigger than 3.75- would be huge on my finger.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you have a jewelry store near you it is best to step in and ask your finger measured for a ring. It should not pass too easy over the knuckle otherwise you might loose it. I assume size 4 is your size, do not pay attention to the difference of before or after meal, measure it midday in between meals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on various factors. Width of the ring and number of rings one is wearing together are 2 variables that come to mind.

I size my rings up by 1/4 or more depending how many rings I will be wearing on the same finger. So generally I wear one at a time and in that case make the ring a 6. My actual finger size is a 5.75. I have big knuckles though so a 6 or 6.5 even won't easily get passed my knuckles.

If I am wearing it with more than one ring I size it up another quarter to 6.25 or even 6.5. It also depends on the width of each ring. Thinner rings of the same size fit looser than thicker width rings of the same size.

FWIW I absolutely loathe "muffin top" and that is why I prefer my rings on the looser side. Definitely get your finger sized with the width you are considering for a more accurate evaluation. It is easier to make a ring snugger than tighter so keep that in mind as well. There are sizing beads/sizing rings etc one can place on a ring that is slightly loose but for a too tight ring there is no easy quick fix.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a 6 but size my rings at 6.25 because I like my rings on the looser side.

Depends on the width of the ring too just like @missy has mentioned.

I have one freak finger that swells up during hot days or humid climates! When it does, I cannot get my generously sized ring pass it because it just swells (only that finger) and won't go down again until the weather cools.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results