shape
carat
color
clarity

How sturdy is a hollow platinum ring?

DDar

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I’m in the midst of having my wedding band made and after a lot of back and forth with my jeweler we came to a wonderful hollow design to save costs

BC4ECDC7-A526-4C4B-88A4-9F0B361B5D8E.png
I absolutely love it, however upon it’s completion I have begun to worry about sturdiness and comfort. No matter what I would have a plate placed in the center of the band as I find the walls alone as support rather uncomfortable; however I worry that it will still not be sturdy enough to last the wear and tear of a lifetime. I’ve had my jeweler give me a quote for how much it would cost to turn it into a solid ring (it’s not cheap lmao); so I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought the best course of action would be. I want it to last a lifetime and will be very upset if I accidentally destroy it (I’m accident prone.)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :)

You could ask about whether you could purchase it as-is and then have the centre filled-in at a later date, when you've saved some money up?

DDar

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the forum :)

You could ask about whether you could purchase it as-is and then have the centre filled-in at a later date, when you've saved some money up?

Thank you for the welcome! :D

I have the money and could have it done; it’s just still a lot of cash and I want to make sure it’s something that’s absolutely worth doing before I pull the trigger on it. I would hate to have spent several thousand having it remade when it would have been just fine with a fix that cost a fraction of that price, you know? That said, if I’m inevitably going to have to have it be remade at some point in the future I’d rather just have it done now so I don’t have to worry about it!

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
several thousand

Which jeweler are you working with? The difference between the hollow version and the solid version shouldn't be much more than the price of metal. A few grams at best.
Platinum is under 30 bucks per gram. Even if the difference is ten grams (which would be a LOT), it'd only be a 300 dollar difference

DDar

Rough_Rock
Which jeweler are you working with? The difference between the hollow version and the solid version shouldn't be much more than the price of metal. A few grams at best.
Platinum is under 30 bucks per gram. Even if the difference is ten grams (which would be a LOT), it'd only be a 300 dollar difference
The jeweler I’m going through is Concierge Diamonds here in LA as they made my fiancée’s wedding ring and band. I know they use a separate craftsman for the creation of the ring itself however.
They quoted me at just over 4.3k on top of the 50% deposit I’d already put down on the ring (the original cost of which was just over 2.3k) to fill it. They said it would be costly to remake mostly because of labor since the stones (the center Stone is a specially cut sapphire that I provided) would need to be removed and the ring remade from scratch in order for it to be filled.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler I’m going through is Concierge Diamonds here in LA as they made my fiancée’s wedding ring and band. I know they use a separate craftsman for the creation of the ring itself however.
They quoted me at just over 4.3k on top of the 50% deposit I’d already put down on the ring (the original cost of which was just over 2.3k) to fill it. They said it would be costly to remake mostly because of labor since the stones (the center Stone is a specially cut sapphire that I provided) would need to be removed and the ring remade from scratch in order for it to be filled.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this sounds extremely expensive. 2 k MORE for a few grams of platinum? 4.3 k without the stones? You already bought those for the first iteration, right?
Would you be open to contacting David Klass jewelry in LA? If you provide the stones, I'm sure the setting even from scratch wouldn't be more than 2 k.

But since you already have the ring and love the design I'd personally wear it as is and IF it doesn't last, you can have it remade later ( for not even half of the amount they are quoting you). Provided the stones are secure.

DDar

Rough_Rock
Sorry to be so blunt, but this sounds extremely expensive. 2 k MORE for a few grams of platinum? 4.3 k without the stones? You already bought those for the first iteration, right?
Would you be open to contacting David Klass jewelry in LA? If you provide the stones, I'm sure the setting even from scratch wouldn't be more than 2 k.

But since you already have the ring and love the design I'd personally wear it as is and IF it doesn't last, you can have it remade later ( for not even half of the amount they are quoting you). Provided the stones are secure.

Yeah, I bought the center Sapphire from John Dyer and bought the diamonds from the jeweler to be made into a ring. I’m asking them for a breakdown of the quote and hoping there was some sort of error, but if not it sounds like it would probably be better to just pay off the ring as is and give it to David Klass to get it remade or add a plate (I’d wear it as is like you suggested, however it digs into my finger when I grip thinks and I work a lot with my hands; and the current jeweler quoted me at $500 to add the plate; which I’m guessing is high given that it would probably only be a few grams of platinum and a couple hours of work.)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is ductile which would mean you could “dent in” the shape if you were to strike a solid object. This would be more likely on the underside of the ring ie when you grab hold of a metal railing for example.
If it’s a ring you intend to wear constantly and for years and years wouldnt make it hollow.

DDar

Rough_Rock
Platinum is ductile which would mean you could “dent in” the shape if you were to strike a solid object. This would be more likely on the underside of the ring ie when you grab hold of a metal railing for example.
If it’s a ring you intend to wear constantly and for years and years wouldnt make it hollow.
The bottom is not hollow. The center sapphire is 3.88 mm thick, so it thins down to a solid thin band at the bottom and then expands into the hollow ring from there, if that makes sense? You can sort of see what I mean in the pictures. I don’t know if that makes any difference to your point though, and I appreciate your input!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom is not hollow. The center sapphire is 3.88 mm thick, so it thins down to a solid thin band at the bottom and then expands into the hollow ring from there, if that makes sense? You can sort of see what I mean in the pictures. I don’t know if that makes any difference to your point though, and I appreciate your input!

Ok I see what you mean. If the sides (between your fingers) and the bottom of the ring is solid not hollow you shouldn’t have any issues with just having the top section “hollow”.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I think the ring as depicted is robust. It may not be lifelong robust if you are very hard on your rings but you should be able to get it reshaped if you bend it out of shape enough. You shouldn’t wear it while doing machine work because of the risk of getting degloved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results