shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I set...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
my peridot. I''ve been a bad PSer and holding out on showing pics to you ladies. But I haven''t been able to get a decent photo of it. Classic story I know. However. It is an apple green peridot, that tends to turn a bit olive in direct sunlight. It is 8mm, asscher cut. I need ideas for how to set it. I''m thinking something delicate, and I''m going to be working with JKT on etsy. So let me hear your thoughts. TIA!

Oh, and here''s a teaser for you.
27.gif

applegreenperidotPS.jpg

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty stone! I would go with something natural looking, a bezel setting maybe with a band that looks like it has been woven or intertwined. I don''t know it that makes sense...

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great stone. I''d go with a bezel so the stone could shine.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
oh very lovely, who''s the cutter?

i''d bezel it too, in yellow gold....

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh YUM!!! That luscious peridot just made my eyes light up, redfaerythinker! I''m one of the strange few that doesn''t care for bezels, so a delicate split shank and double prong setting in WG is what I''d love. Is that too boring?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 8:27:33 AM
Author: cellentani
Oh YUM!!! That luscious peridot just made my eyes light up, redfaerythinker! I'm one of the strange few that doesn't care for bezels, so a delicate split shank and double prong setting in WG is what I'd love. Is that too boring?
Usually I'm a big fan of Bezel! but for some reason, now that I have an asscher bezel I kinda wished I hadn't bezeled it- I lost a lot of the distinct shape flow - the sharp clipped corners(it was my pink tourmaline asscher) and I think I blocked a lot of light so I can't see my step cut much. But I did bezel my other Round Peridots and I love it. Sorry to make a long story short, I think to showcase the shape and step cut more I would agree with Cellentani here.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
My first thought was a bezel too, because you mentioned the stone turning olive in some lighting conditions, and I believe a bezel of yellow gold (or possibly green-ish gold) could make all it''s shades look great. But another good point has been brought out, of the fact that if you want to see steps in a step cut, you should leave the setting more open. So it''s your pick. But whatever you decide, I''d suggest some shade of yellow gold and possibly diamond accents. Maybe doing something that would remind of a floral theme (in either shapes, color combos or something else) would be great. Have fun!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go with Kribbie's suggestion - something intertwining and organic looking - maybe leaves acting as prongs and intertwining branches down the shank (does that make sense)? I wouldn't bezel it - particularly if it takes on an olive tone. I would do yellow gold though (or maybe a combination of white/yellow if you do the intertwining thing)!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d also like to know who is the cutter. I have a very unurual project in mind and a saturated peridot could work for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely something in yellow (to mask the olive colouration) and as open as possible so you can more easily admire the steps.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in direct sunlight most peridot does tend to show that olive tint. I''m a weirdo, I don''t mind it because thats how peridot reacts to sun, its kinda cool.

Now that said, its unusual for a peridot to black out in a bezel, but if you bezel its best to go with a collette. that way you get light around the stone and you can see the cutting.

to stay on the safe side, you may be better off with a prong type setting. Since you''re working with julia she can give you a better idea of what she can or can''t do in that area.

I would also ditto on the yellow gold, at least around the stone itself.

-A

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys! Sorry for such a late reply but Pricescope was having issues with my computer. Anyways, the cutter is Doug from Bespoke gems. He was so wonderful to work with, and so patient when I couldn''t make up my mind. As far as settings go, I''ve reserved design time with JKT and i''m super excited about that. All of your ideas are so great, and I''m definitely going to bring them up with her. Thanks!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would try double claw prongs...I really think that the clipped corners ask for them. Very nice looking stone. TFS!!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 10:03:01 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I too would try double claw prongs...I really think that the clipped corners ask for them. Very nice looking stone. TFS!!
ditto. manhattanlawyer just posted a step-cut amethyst in a split-prong double-claw setting. i might try to get daintier, pointier prongs for this one since it is a much lighter color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results