carat
color
clarity

How rare is non-blue fluorescence?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies if this topic has been done before! :oops:

I was thinking the other day that I quite fancy a bit of fluor if I can get a wedding ring with a diamond in it past the missus' conservative taste...

I recall seeing various posts on here with pictures of the different fluor that is possible - white, green, yellow, orange, red?, the usual blue, pink? - but am I correct in thinking that all of them are pretty rare, the non-blue fluor especially so? The guide says only a small fraction of the fluorescent stones are anything other than blue:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

It would be awesome to get a stone that fluoresced a cool colour but methinks the search would be long and generally fruitless, especially for something like a step-cut in around half-carat size... :(

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OoohShiny|1466867669|4048196 said:
Apologies if this topic has been done before! :oops:

I was thinking the other day that I quite fancy a bit of fluor if I can get a wedding ring with a diamond in it past the missus' conservative taste...

I recall seeing various posts on here with pictures of the different fluor that is possible - white, green, yellow, orange, red?, the usual blue, pink? - but am I correct in thinking that all of them are pretty rare, the non-blue fluor especially so? The guide says only a small fraction of the fluorescent stones are anything other than blue:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

It would be awesome to get a stone that fluoresced a cool colour but methinks the search would be long and generally fruitless, especially for something like a step-cut in around half-carat size... :(

I cannot say how rare it is, but I made a 2.5 ct total weight men's ring about 40 years ago that had seven diamonds of various sizes in it. Six of them were treated colored diamonds with one token white diamond (the smallest one) because I liked the stark contrast between the white and the strong colors of the then new treatment process.

Of the six treated colored diamonds four of them fluoresced, each of them a different color. There was a chalky blue, a bright blue, a yellow and a green. I used to joke with my wife that we should find a disco with black lighting as I could be the hit of the show with that ring.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to say that you might have to call in and check hundreds of diamonds to find one that is well cut and happens to have fluorescence in a color other than blue! I do not think that is reasonable since finding a well cut emerald cut stone is hard enough. Plus, blue is the best color of fluorescence in a white diamond, in my opinion.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased a stone with a medium blue rating on the GIA report, which led me to playing around with a hand held UV light and the new stone along with some of my other set stones. My other pieces are not GIA, so I was curious to see if they had fluorescence. To my surprise, one did and it was orange! I had no idea. From what I have learned in researching the effects of a fluorescence, orange is pretty rare. I tried to take a photo, but the orange is not showing that well - IRL it is very bright orange.

octo-orange.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have several old diamond cocktail / dinner rings and old mountings with small single cut or OEC diamonds in them. A surprising number of (small) diamonds in them have fluor that is red, orange, or yellowish, along with stones with blue fluor. I wonder if cutters tend to chop up odd fluorescent rough into bits that get turned into side stones and melee', instead of something large enough to be a center diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for everyone's responses! :)

I think I shall abandon any search for such a stone - it is pretty clear that 'needle-in-a-haystack' is probably underplaying how difficult it will be to find a well cut stone that also has non-blue fluor :lol: lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results