shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare is an 8 ct flawless diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I used to post here a lot, but haven''t had much time since having my son 8 months ago. Even then I really stuck more to the family boards since I got engaged in 06 (except of course for drooling over the gorgeous SMTR threads!).

Someone I know on another (non-diamond related) message board is telling people her grandmother has an 8 ct flawless diamond.

Would it not be absurdly rare to have a diamond that large that''s flawless? I found one 8.69 ct on Good Old Gold, but it''s SI1, so definitely not flawless. The next closest in size on that site is 5ish carats.

I know it really doesn''t matter if she''s telling the truth or not, but I''m really curious to know if she''s exaggerating and I thought there''d be no one better than my PSers to help me out.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, an 8 carat flawless diamond would be very rare (and expensive!). It may be true, or the person may have gotten some facts wrong (about size, flawlessness). Tell her to post some pics!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Someone else just posted that she saw an 8ct flawless diamond while working at Zales. I''m not believing that one either...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 8.75 ct IF in the most rare color, D.

Click

I just found a 12.35 ct G IF

Click

So these things, while rare and over a million bucks, are not impossible to find.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
robbie - perhaps your friend called the diamond flawless because it is eye clean? That''s not the same as F/IF (could be as low as a VS2 in some cases), but to a diamond "lay person" it could be thought of as "flawless."

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or perhaps your friend's grandmother has just the diamond she says she has.

Sure it's rare and expensive, but many people have money and many more have valuable heirloom pieces. Why assume she's lying?

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 4:28:10 PM
Author: kenny

Click

Click

So these things, while rare and over a million bucks, are not impossible to find.

You don''t even get 20K off for wire transfer!!! I''d pay with credit card just to prove a point!
LOL

small_paws

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 4:28:10 PM
Author: kenny

Click

Click

*faints* There are so many other things I would want over those diamonds LOL I would be shocked to see an IF diamond at Zales as well. From what I''ve seen, most their diamonds don''t meet the standards that many sites suggest as their lowest acceptable ones. Of course I really didn''t spend a ton of time looking at their diamonds and it''s always possible if a customer wanted something bad enough I''m sure they could find it.
1.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Robbie! Good to see you back. I know lots of people missed you. Glad to hear you are doing well, and your baby is just adorable! He looks just like the two of you.

This is quite the bargain compared to the stones that Kenny found:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worth-points/auction-report-822-carat-diamond-ring

Did she say what color it is? I suppose if it's your grandmother's ring, you're not very likely to know all those specific stats. In fact, I don't think it's all that common to know the specs of your grandmother's diamond ring. I know I don't know them, and I'm pretty diamond-obsessed. It's not that unreasonable to have an 8ct. flawless diamond, especially considering it's her grandmother, who is at a point in life where she could be very well established. Maybe I've just been watching too much Gossip Girl lately.
20.gif

I'd be really hard pressed to believe the Zales story though. Perhaps for a special exhibition day or something?

ETA: could she have mistaken 18K diamond ring for an 8ct diamond ring?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what do you all think about the cut of the two Kenny found? What are the HCA scores? Are they really perfect?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2010 4:07:32 PM
Author:robbie3982
I used to post here a lot, but haven't had much time since having my son 8 months ago. Even then I really stuck more to the family boards since I got engaged in 06 (except of course for drooling over the gorgeous SMTR threads!).

Someone I know on another (non-diamond related) message board is telling people her grandmother has an 8 ct flawless diamond.

Would it not be absurdly rare to have a diamond that large that's flawless? I found one 8.69 ct on Good Old Gold, but it's SI1, so definitely not flawless. The next closest in size on that site is 5ish carats.

I know it really doesn't matter if she's telling the truth or not, but I'm really curious to know if she's exaggerating and I thought there'd be no one better than my PSers to help me out.
They’re pretty rare. FAR less rare are people who think they have one, and even less rare than that are reports by people who think someone else has one.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results