shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare/hard is it to find a antique or old mine cushion cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
I found a 1.87ct H SI2 antique cushion cut that is an absolute fireball and looked good under an Ideal scope. (yes i know they are for cushions but it still gives me a clear view of symmetry. It looks very similar to some of the best/most sought after antiqaue cushion cuts on PS. The price is ok, and I think there is some room for negotiation. Also, it is uncertified, but the jewler is willing to get it EGL USA certed before I buy it.

Dimensions are:
7.1 x 7.9 x 5.0 total depth, I dont have any of the pav angles or table angles.

So the question is, how difficult or rare are stones like this?

Thanks guys, your advice is always SO appreciated!
35.gif

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
Cairification, when I say total depth I ment overall stone height

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
not rare. Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, Union Diamond or Leon Mege can source a similar diamond for you in no time

www.artofplatinum.com

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 11:19:52 PM
Author:unobtanium
I found a 1.87ct H SI2 antique cushion cut that is an absolute fireball and looked good under an Ideal scope. (yes i know they are for cushions but it still gives me a clear view of symmetry. It looks very similar to some of the best/most sought after antiqaue cushion cuts on PS. The price is ok, and I think there is some room for negotiation. Also, it is uncertified, but the jewler is willing to get it EGL USA certed before I buy it.

Dimensions are:

35.gif
1) EGL USA is not a top tier lab. Tell him you want it GIA certified as that is the only way you can get a handle on its true value and what you should pay.
2) SI2 is it eye clean to your standards? most are not. You should check this in low lighting and in office and sunlight and to the side as well.
3) Some cushions show very little leakage in Idealscope but are mostly green in ASET and thus only do well in office or jewelry store lighting.
4) Negotiate price after it is certified.
5) I don''t know how you can even be sure that GIA wouldn''t give it a I or J color and I1 clairty so really the price could be in a very wide range, uncertified stones should sell at a HUGE discount 50% discounted easily.
6) Antique cushion only refers to stones with large pavillion facets, you saw the facets and can identify it as a cushion brilliant 8 main?
7) 63% depth might not have a high crown I''d like to see the certificate and an ASET.
8) Use the PS search you will find many stones like this.

If an LA you might want to see what SingleStone or Erica Grace can find for you, at least then you can stay local and they have experience with antique cushions.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Dimensions are:

35.gif
Not so rare that you have to settle.
95%+ of cushions cut today are modified brilliants as the cutter can save more weight by cutting in this style, But you don't need a ton of stones just one good one :).

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 12:12:15 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Dimensions are:

35.gif
1) EGL USA is not a top tier lab. Tell him you want it GIA certified as that is the only way you can get a handle on its true value and what you should pay.
2) SI2 is it eye clean to your standards? most are not. You should check this in low lighting and in office and sunlight and to the side as well.
It is very near eye clean. There is a feather in the center of the stone that is difficult to pick up and at only a specific angle.
3) Some cushions show very little leakage in Idealscope but are mostly green in ASET and thus only do well in office or jewelry store lighting.
I saw the stone in daylight through a window during a sunny day, and it had plenty of life to say the least.
II am planning on negotiating after it is certified.
5) I don''t know how you can even be sure that GIA wouldn''t give it a I or J color and I1 clairty so really the price could be in a very wide range, uncertified stones should sell at a HUGE discount 50% discounted easily.
Do you mean 50% off of RAP? Will I still be able to get 40% off RAP after I get it certified?
6) Antique cushion only refers to stones with large pavillion facets, you saw the facets and can identify it as a cushion brilliant 8 main?
7) 63% depth might not have a high crown I''d like to see the certificate and an ASET.
I would say that the crown height is comperable to any other stone I have viewed

If an LA you might want to see what SingleStone or Erica Grace can find for you, at least then you can stay local and they have experience with antique cushions. Funny you mention this... the stone that I am speaking of is at SingleStone in the LA diamond diestrict.... Should I assume then that this is a prime stone and what she says it is, will be how it is certified? Is she that reputable of a dealer?

Thanks for your response Chunky, I am anciously looking foward to your thoughts from my red answers above.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I have a great deal of faith in Single Stone''s opinions of vintage/antique cuts.

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
I difently dont feel that I would be "setteling" as I have now looked at over 30 cushions in all different cuts and this stone is the nubmer one contender thus far. I have found two other "good" performing stones with modified brilliant shapes but cost is higher.

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
I think I need to pull the trigger on this one by tomorrow. Can I avoid sales tax if the ring is shipped to Michigan even though I am a registered resident of California.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 1:46:47 AM
Author: unobtanium
I think I need to pull the trigger on this one by tomorrow. Can I avoid sales tax if the ring is shipped to Michigan even though I am a registered resident of California.
Geez. Both of those states need the sales tax.

unobtanium

Rough_Rock
Chunkey cushion, I would love to hear your thoughts from my answers in red above. Your input is vital, you always give good logical help on these forums!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Antique cushions (genuine antiques, not newly cut cushions in the old style) are not easy to find and no two are alike. Particularly if you are looking for certain qualities - higher color, square or elongated cushion outline, good symmetry, a culet that pleases you, etc. We always advise buyers who feel a connection/attraction to a particular antique stone to go for it - odds are it will be a long time before you find another one like it.

Singlestone is a reputable dealer - search PS and you will see many reviews. As for EGL versus GIA, while GIA is more strict, it is not the standard for antique stones. EGL is more common. Whichever lab you use (there is nothing wrong with using EGL), just make sure you run pricing comps apples to apples - compare the EGL report against other EGL stones with different vendors to get a sense of fair market value.

It sounds like a lovely cushion and I'm so pleased to see you've chosen an antique stone. Good luck with your purchase!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Erica''s certainly the expert. I do want to add on to her post, though, that you really can''t judge an antique stone by the same standards as a modern. It would be like judging a newer car, with a blue book value, with an antique car whose value may be dependent on desirability, rarity, condition, etc.

I mean, an OMC is not a Faberge egg, of course, but it''s also not a recent round brilliant either.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I would recommend you check out Adam at Old World Diamonds. Several of us have purchased from him and he has at least a hundred stones to choose from (all antique). His prices are far more reasonable than Erica, Singlestone, or any other vendor I''ve quoted.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 10:55:38 AM
Author: ericad
Antique cushions (genuine antiques, not newly cut cushions in the old style) are not easy to find and no two are alike. Particularly if you are looking for certain qualities - higher color, square or elongated cushion outline, good symmetry, a culet that pleases you, etc. We always advise buyers who feel a connection/attraction to a particular antique stone to go for it - odds are it will be a long time before you find another one like it.

Singlestone is a reputable dealer - search PS and you will see many reviews. As for EGL versus GIA, while GIA is more strict, it is not the standard for antique stones. EGL is more common. Whichever lab you use (there is nothing wrong with using EGL), just make sure you run pricing comps apples to apples - compare the EGL report against other EGL stones with different vendors to get a sense of fair market value.

It sounds like a lovely cushion and I''m so pleased to see you''ve chosen an antique stone. Good luck with your purchase!
Ditto this. If you have seen this cushion in person and it spoke to you, I would be inclined to go for it. Finding this style of cushion isn''t so hard in and of itself, it''s finding one that meets all the variables that we want. If this meets your wishlist criteria, I wouldn''t hesitate to jump on it. I love the team at Single Stone and feel that their prices aren''t unreasonable for the service they provide.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2009 11:47:30 AM
Author: Hest88
Erica's certainly the expert. I do want to add on to her post, though, that you really can't judge an antique stone by the same standards as a modern. It would be like judging a newer car, with a blue book value, with an antique car whose value may be dependent on desirability, rarity, condition, etc.

I mean, an OMC is not a Faberge egg, of course, but it's also not a recent round brilliant either.

Important point, thanks for adding this. When running comps, make sure you comp this stone against other EGL antique cushions via vendors like Old World Diamonds, etc. Modern cushions are a different animal altogether.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2009 11:52:23 AM
Author: purrfectpear
I would recommend you check out Adam at Old World Diamonds. Several of us have purchased from him and he has at least a hundred stones to choose from (all antique). His prices are far more reasonable than Erica, Singlestone, or any other vendor I've quoted.

Purrfectpear, you have made this statement on a number of occasions, which I respectfully disagree with. Do you have a specific example of some pieces from our current inventory comped to an OWD stone to back up your repeated claims about our pricing? Because I just ran through our entire inventory and comped to OWD and couldn't find a single example. I'm pleased that you are happy with your relationship with OWD but can't wrap my head around why you continue making this false statement about our pricing. Please help me understand.

penskip

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend wanted to know why a stone I looked at from Jewels by Erica Grace seemed so inexpensive (I kind of wondered too) !!!! I have looked at antique stones from several different vendors and have found Erica Grace''s prices to be very fair and reasonable. They also have excellent customer service which is invaluable.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 12:26:36 AM

Date: 12/18/2009 12:12:15 AM

Dimensions are:

35.gif
It is very near eye clean. There is a feather in the center of the stone that is difficult to pick up and at only a specific angle.
>>> If you are happy with the level of eye clean thats fine. I caution you about black SI2 inclusions and I would look at the stone in different lighting, under a table etc and just be quite sure you are happy and the wearer will be as well.

I saw the stone in daylight through a window during a sunny day, and it had plenty of life to say the least.

>>> Once again look at it under a table, in strong spot lighting, if you have seen lots of cushions and are satified that this is the best one than thats great.

II am planning on negotiating after it is certified.
5) I don't know how you can even be sure that GIA wouldn't give it a I or J color and I1 clairty so really the price could be in a very wide range, uncertified stones should sell at a HUGE discount 50% discounted easily.
Do you mean 50% off of RAP? Will I still be able to get 40% off RAP after I get it certified?

>>>When a customer mentions rappoport it automatically rings a bell to me that they are focussing on the wrong thing. Rap is too general. You need to gauge prices by calling other vendors and getting prices on similar stones. But remember it will be a Cushion Brilliant (that is key) and probably an 8 main antique brilliant you are looking at prices for. If you don't get GIA certification it will be more difficult to compare it to GOG or stones mark at ERD could find or prices that are the chunky antique style so you would want to look for EGL stones as a comparison.

7) 63% depth might not have a high crown I'd like to see the certificate and an ASET.
I would say that the crown height is comperable to any other stone I have viewed

>> There are no hard and fast rules on depth %, or how it translates to crown height and I don't think I could notice a 2% difference in crown height by eye or remember it at another store, what you see with your eyes should trump what I say or the ASET or any numbers.

But really make sure you have seen a good many good stones , for me I would go crazy unless I compared it to the best being offered online ( Mark at ERD or an AUgust Vintage from GOG the shipping and viewing at an appraisor ($200 at most) would be worth the money to me. However if you have seen 20 - 30 stones and this one is heads and shoulders above the rest it sounds like a winner for you. Make sure you have been looking at Cushion Brilliants not modified ones, they are night and day different as are Modern ones versus Antique. If you wanted to post the ASET I could tell you how it would stack up against many other Cushions online but thats not necessary if you are already pleased with it. You did want a rectangular stone right LW ~ 1.11 right?

If an LA you might want to see what SingleStone or Erica Grace can find for you, at least then you can stay local and they have experience with antique cushions. Funny you mention this... the stone that I am speaking of is at SingleStone in the LA diamond diestrict.... Should I assume then that this is a prime stone and what she says it is, will be how it is certified? Is she that reputable of a dealer?

The only thing I can say is they have some nice settings and a decent reputation on here. I have seen some nice pieces on here and happy customers. I wouldn't say that their word or advice on a paricular stone is any better than another dealers but it does make me more comfortable. How can you pull the trigger on a stone that isn't certified yet and if so at what price? That part I don't understand at all and for an expensive stone I don't know why it wouldn't already be certified $150 for a $10,000 item that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I look forward how it turns out for you. Also what Erica has said about EGL generally applies as these older stones tend to be lower colors so its not necessarily a bad thing to have an EGL cert but you should compare EGL with EGL, if it were me as it is a higher color I'd still want to get a GIA cert and have an appraisor look at it but thats more of a personal preference as it makes it easier to compare value and know you have a consistent grading.
I will also assume you are aware of the differences between older cut stones and say an august vintage and the differences in light performance?

This is an exciting time for you now you are getting close to a final choice I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

Thanks for your response Chunky, I am anciously looking foward to your thoughts from my red answers above.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 12:26:06 PM

Date: 12/18/2009 11:52:23 AM
Author: purrfectpear
I would recommend you check out Adam at Old World Diamonds. Several of us have purchased from him and he has at least a hundred stones to choose from (all antique). His prices are far more reasonable than Erica, Singlestone, or any other vendor I''ve quoted.

Purrfectpear, you have made this statement on a number of occasions, which I respectfully disagree with. Do you have a specific example of some pieces from our current inventory comped to an OWD stone to back up your repeated claims about our pricing? Because I just ran through our entire inventory and comped to OWD and couldn''t find a single example. I''m pleased that you are happy with your relationship with OWD but can''t wrap my head around why you continue making this false statement about our pricing. Please help me understand.
I have not checked your website in a few months, but when you first started selling your prices were quite reasonable. Slowly during 2008 they crept up beyond what I consider reasonable for two little ladies living in two separate states with little overhead as you have NO brick and mortar store to my knowledge? I can state with certainty that all of last year, your pricing was higher than comparable stones listed by Old World (who does have office overhead, large inventory, rent, etc.). You are entitled to set your price point and margin anywhere you like. If you choose to retail at the same rates as actual stores with larger inventories that is your business. You can hardly complain when someone points that out.

Not only that but your inventory is extremely limited in comparison, as Old World lists hundreds of stones and you typically have less than a dozen. As a consumer I am certainly entitled to my opinion and suggesting that other shoppers do some comparison on their own. If you are as correct as you think, then you have nothing to worry about. I did not say DON"T SHOP WITH ERICA GRACE, I said check out others that you may find more competitive IMO.
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think evaluating an old cut in person is absolutely imperative, especially if you've looked at a lot of them and have an idea of what an actual nice old cut looks like. If you've seen a lot of them, this one speaks to you, and you can get the seller to cert it, and the price compares within reason to other similar stones (antique, EGL or no cert) then I would be tempted to say go for it.

Definitely check out other vendors though. JBEG hand picks their stones (rather than having a huge list of them like, say OWD) so that's nice. And OWD has a huge inventory that's actually on hand and Adam is really helpful- you can pick a few stones, call him, and ask him to evaluate them for performance and eye cleanliness and so on. I've purchased from him before, and the stone he suggested out of the ones he was looking at for me was fabulous. Singlestone is really reputable, I've seen some amazingly gorgeous antique and repro settings they have, as well as beautiful beautiful old stones. They, however, are the vendor I felt was higher priced than the other ones out there... but, on the other hand, super high quality product.

So, to answer your question, those specs aren't necessarily rare or hard to find. It's finding one with the specs you want that speaks to you, that performs well, that's the trickier bit. I tend to pounce on old cuts that meet that criteria, lol. There are a lot of doggy looking old cuts- a LOT.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hhhmmm....

PP, not sure which moniker offends me more - "little" or "lady?"
2.gif
3.gif
Sorry, couldn''t resist.

Quite honestly, and obviously I don''t need to disclose this here - but even 2 little ladies working from home is not a zero overhead venture so its really unfair to us for anyone to make that assumption without knowing our business.

We do not contest the fact that Adam/OWD has a huge inventory. We actually have had the chance to work with Adam and enjoyed the experience very much.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, and my apologies to the OP for the threadjack.

Here is my 2 cents on this: If you LOVE the stone, and after you have done your due diligence you feel pretty confident about your choice and trust your vendor, I say go for it. Antique cushions of good make are actually not very easy to come by! And unlike the modern cut chunky cushions cut to mimic the look of true antiques, they truly are one of a kind. This is the advise we give our clients all the time, whether or not the stone they are considering is one of ours or another vendor''s.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 5:21:52 PM
Little ladies? Seriously, Pear?

Ummmm, ok. Sorry for the threadjack everyone!
Hit her over the head with your umbrella little old lady ummm I mean erica.
We talked on the phone once you were nice, that was a few months ago :).

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2009 5:38:12 PM
Date: 12/18/2009 5:21:52 PM

Little ladies? Seriously, Pear?

Ummmm, ok. Sorry for the threadjack everyone!
Hit her over the head with your umbrella little old lady ummm I mean erica.

We talked on the phone once you were nice, that was a few months ago :).

I'll have to put my needlepoint down first.

Thanks CCL, I AM quite nice (not too hard on the eyes either), though I don't like to brag about it...

9.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ms. PP: Your ad hominem attacks on Erica and Grace couched as fact are not only unfair, they are not accurate.

A read back through your posts over the year would reveal that you have bought items from OWD and have promoted them rather aggressively. Certainly your perogative. However, I personally find OWD to be quite obnoxiously priced frankly. I see nothing there at a price that I would consider any more attractive than any other retail outlet.

A read back through my posts would reveal that I have an established relationship with Erica and Grace and have bought multiple items from them and that I have promoted their business as well. Also okay as long as it''s disclosed.

That said, as someone who has spent over 20K with Erica and Grace and who may be cheapest rug merchant trader on the planet, I can state unequivocally that these very nice ladies offer excellent value in my book on their items and follow that up with unbelieveable customer service. I just got into antique stones about 18 months ago and as I do with everything, became obsessed with acquiring high quality ones and acquiring them CHEAP. I spend a lot of time now sniffing around Ebay, estate sales, bankruptcy liquidations, auctions, etc. Erica and Grace don''t sell as cheap as a distressed Ebay seller but you can be sure that what they sell you is what they represent it to be and more. I have bought four rings from them; all appraised at higher color and clarity than they sold them at.

And further, I can be a b**tch on wheels as I''m sure people here have noticed. I''ve given them a rough time more than once and they have never been anything but accommodating and bent over backward to give me what I wanted, even when I was pretty unreasonable.

I can unequivocally recommend Erica and Grace and their business to anyone.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 7:45:51 PM
Author: tradergirl
Ms. PP: Your ad hominem attacks on Erica and Grace couched as fact are not only unfair, they are not accurate.

A read back through your posts over the year would reveal that you have bought items from OWD and have promoted them rather aggressively. Certainly your perogative. However, I personally find OWD to be quite obnoxiously priced frankly. I see nothing there at a price that I would consider any more attractive than any other retail outlet.

A read back through my posts would reveal that I have an established relationship with Erica and Grace and have bought multiple items from them and that I have promoted their business as well. Also okay as long as it''s disclosed.

That said, as someone who has spent over 20K with Erica and Grace and who may be cheapest rug merchant trader on the planet, I can state unequivocally that these very nice ladies offer excellent value in my book on their items and follow that up with unbelieveable customer service. I just got into antique stones about 18 months ago and as I do with everything, became obsessed with acquiring high quality ones and acquiring them CHEAP. I spend a lot of time now sniffing around Ebay, estate sales, bankruptcy liquidations, auctions, etc. Erica and Grace don''t sell as cheap as a distressed Ebay seller but you can be sure that what they sell you is what they represent it to be and more. I have bought four rings from them; all appraised at higher color and clarity than they sold them at.

And further, I can be a b**tch on wheels as I''m sure people here have noticed. I''ve given them a rough time more than once and they have never been anything but accommodating and bent over backward to give me what I wanted, even when I was pretty unreasonable.

I can unequivocally recommend Erica and Grace and their business to anyone.
I can vouch for Adam at OWD prices we got for a pair of 0.6 cttw OEC GH VS WG earrings well cut for $600 including international shipping. I know they have good prices and there is more stuff not listed on the website.

As for the not too modest looking Erica and Grace I like these two little old ladies they seem to have nice stuff as well and they haven''t hit me over the head with an umbrella yet.

Wow talk about attachment and pushing of a vendor''s fanclub in this thread
31.gif

41.gif

CCL

unobtanium

Rough_Rock

Wow, I have really enjoyed the great banter that this thread had going. I have played hockey for the last 20 years of my life and this back and forth here reminds me of some of the best spirited hockey locker room banter. I have never meet any of the "little ladies" or any ladies on this forum, but you all are essential to helping block head engineers like me find amazing stones for their loved ones. Nonetheless, Thank you all for your advice.... here is an update:

I had the stone EGL USA certified on Friday, it came out as an 1.87 H SI1 and I decided to pull the trigger. So far Ari and Patty have been great at Singlestone and I can not wait for my solitaire setting and amazing antique stone to arrive in the mail. For now I am having the stone set in a simple solitaire setting and I will have my future finance design the setting. She is a fashion designer as her profession and has an amazing eye for style and beauty. I know she will absolutely love helping to design her setting around this magnificent stone.

SO, as soon as I get the stone and solitaire setting in the mail on Tuesday or Wednesday I will post pictures. PS, this will not be a Christmas proposal, we are going on a cruise to the southern Caribbean two days after Christmas and I will be planning on doing it in the USVI. (I chartered a boat for the day!)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 11:01:41 PM

Wow, I have really enjoyed the great banter that this thread had going. I have played hockey for the last 20 years of my life and this back and forth here reminds me of some of the best spirited hockey locker room banter. I have never meet any of the ''little ladies'' or any ladies on this forum, but you all are essential to helping block head engineers like me find amazing stones for their loved ones. Nonetheless, Thank you all for your advice.... here is an update:

I had the stone EGL USA certified on Friday, it came out as an 1.87 H SI1 and I decided to pull the trigger. So far Ari and Patty have been great at Singlestone and I can not wait for my solitaire setting and amazing antique stone to arrive in the mail. For now I am having the stone set in a simple solitaire setting and I will have my future finance design the setting. She is a fashion designer as her profession and has an amazing eye for style and beauty. I know she will absolutely love helping to design her setting around this magnificent stone.

SO, as soon as I get the stone and solitaire setting in the mail on Tuesday or Wednesday I will post pictures. PS, this will not be a Christmas proposal, we are going on a cruise to the southern Caribbean two days after Christmas and I will be planning on doing it in the USVI. (I chartered a boat for the day!)
Congrats on finding your stone. Good-luck with your proposal, letting your fiance choose her setting (being a fashion designer) is a great idea.
I would love to see pictures once you propose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results