shape
carat
color
clarity

How often does a recut of a diamond improve its color?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a thread on here somewhere where the OP had a diamond re-cut, and when the stone was re-graded, the color had improved by one step up. Is this common? If there are any threads on this topic, please point me to them. Thanks!

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
I suspect it would be very UNCOMMON to improve the color - perhaps more likely to improve the clarity (depending on the issues with the clarity) and most likely to improve the 'cut' of the stone (if it was poorly cut in the first place). So, improving the cut situation might possibly improve the color, but at what cost? Not just the cost of having the stone re-cut but the fact that there will be a loss of ct. wt.

Do you have a stone you think will improve if it is re-cut? If so, please give us the deets on the stone.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect it would be very UNCOMMON to improve the color - perhaps more likely to improve the clarity (depending on the issues with the clarity) and most likely to improve the 'cut' of the stone (if it was poorly cut in the first place). So, improving the cut situation might possibly improve the color, but at what cost? Not just the cost of having the stone re-cut but the fact that there will be a loss of ct. wt.

Do you have a stone you think will improve if it is re-cut? If so, please give us the deets on the stone.
No, not a stone that I own, just one that is very deep and might be a good candidate for a recut if I could bargain. No photos at this time.

Reactions: AV_

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since diamonds are graded face-down, I'd have to think color would only be improved if there was color zoning where an area was more intensely colored and then got cut away, or if the color was intensified due to how large the diamond was and enough weight was removed so that didn't happen.... or, more likely, that it was on the edge of the color grade and so it got a different result with a different grader.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since diamonds are graded face-down, I'd have to think color would only be improved if there was color zoning where an area was more intensely colored and then got cut away, or if the color was intensified due to how large the diamond was and enough weight was removed so that didn't happen.... or, more likely, that it was on the edge of the color grade and so it got a different result with a different grader.
Good points

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1) Less diamond has better color
2) Color strongly depends from cut. For fancy cuts a difference in color after recut could be several grades.
3) Girdle faceting improves color for old diamond with brutting girdle

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I personally would not get a diamond with the plan to recut from the get-go. There may be factors that prevent the cutting require to get to the place you desire. There is no way of knowing until the cutter begins to assess it. Ultimately, I think you should have the mindset that nature gave it its color and that is what the color is.
When you said the stone under consideration is very deep cut, what are we talking back as to depth measurement? What lab is it graded by? What is the clarity... type of inclusions and placement? This information would be useful but ultimately I still would recommend you not purchase a stone with the intention of what a recut could do: I did a recut on my previous stone so I’m just throwing out potential considerations.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buying a diamond with intent to recut it is an "expert only" business. You need to be buying diamonds in bulk and understand that a few will improve, and many will come out better cut, but not much better in overall value. The majority will look better and be easier to sell faster, but they will not change much in their grading and value. Re-cutting a single diamond with a particular goal in mind, such as color improvement, would not be a recommended gamble.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Less diamond has better color
2) Color strongly depends from cut. For fancy cuts a difference in color after recut could be several grades.
3) Girdle faceting improves color for old diamond with brutting girdle
Interesting!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a diamond with intent to recut it is an "expert only" business. You need to be buying diamonds in bulk and understand that a few will improve, and many will come out better cut, but not much better in overall value. The majority will look better and be easier to sell faster, but they will not change much in their grading and value. Re-cutting a single diamond with a particular goal in mind, such as color improvement, would not be a recommended gamble.
Thank you for this! The goal would simply be to improve the cut, not necessarily with the goal to improve color. I just wondered how often that happens as a happy aside! I do have an expert re-cutter in my city who can evaluate stones before I commit to them.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I recut two stones I had but didn’t buy with the intention of recutting. I was happy with the results. But I did lose significant size on one and the other was a sentimental stone.
I didn’t gain any color advantage. It sounds like you have someone who can pre evaluate which sounds great but do it for yourself!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would cont that the apparent colour can change with a recut - depending on what you are starting with. Changes of colour grades certainly happen, but I would not count on this sort of thing - it is too speculative.

The fun in this: when grade does change, this does not imply that the apparent colour has - it is an invisible change ... - unless the transformation by cut, that is not taken into account by grading, but it is glaring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results