shape
carat
color
clarity

How nosey are people about your diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recent posts about folks being worried about telling people the specs on their diamonds have me wondering... what have most PSer''s experiences been?

I have an F VS1 Asscher 1.09 carats.

What are you typically asked?

I used to get asked if it was a princess (or TOLD it was a princess) a lot. Hasn''t happened since the re-set... but it''s inevitable and I know it.

My manicurists almost always (if I''m wearin the ring when I go in) TELL ME that the diamond is white and clear so it must be a D IF. (uh huh).

But most often, folks just say that it''s a nice (princess) diamond and ask how big it is.

And I don''t normally tell them much. I tell them that all I know is that white, clear and about a carat (or if the person is bugging me, I''ll tell them that I don''t know the size but that it''s just right for me). That usually satisfies them.

Have you all experienced ESPECIALLY nosey inquiries on your diamond''s specs (outside of PS GTGs and jewelry stores)?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I generally don''t get many questions on my asscher. Most people think it''s a princess--in fact, a good friend of mine was proposed to with a 1.5 carat princess and could NOT tell a difference between our stones when I put them side by side. She jokingly said "I swear, Nicole, I see no difference. Yours just looks smaller!" (That was a joke because they are the same carat weight, but mine does look smaller:)

Only one person who has seen my ring correcty identified it as an asscher. People tend to like ot guess the carat weight, though. Usually I get "Ooo, is that a carat?" The woes of being an asscher owner!

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s funny because I''ve gotten a few comments lately just about how sparkly my rings are. They ask how I keep it so sparkly (i.e., do I clean it often?) and I tell them whether I cleaned it recently or not. If I say that I cleaned it recently, they say, "Oh, that must be it!" and if I haven''t cleaned it recently, I have had one person say, "Oh, you just must have a good cut!" which I thought was nice.

That said, no one has asked me about the specs ever other than the shape. I have a square radiant, and when I first got engaged, everyone thought it was a princess cut. I would politely correct them and say it''s a radiant... most people just go, oh. I guess they have no idea what a radiant is. At first I would try to explain the difference, and I would get the glazed eyes and blank look, so I learned quickly that most people aren''t that interested. There was one time a group of my girlfriends were together and two of them have princess cuts. They asked what the difference was, and I tried to explain. They weren''t getting it so I held up my ring next to my friend''s princess cut and I still don''t think anyone could tell although I thought it was obvious how different the facet patterns were.

newenglandlady, I think that''s hilarious that your friend can''t tell the difference between her princess and your asscher... Ah well. I think it has to do with the fact that most people haven''t seen an asscher IRL yet still!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Jfo, I''m sure with a radiant people are even more confused. I completely agree with you, though. Most people just say "oh" when you say what cut it is, which is perfectly fine. When DH and i started looking at rings, he honestly couldn''t pick a round brilliant from an emerald cut. He would say "My lord, these things are bright! Should I be wearing eye protection? I can''t even look at these things long enough to see what shape they are! Diamonds give me a headache!"

The conversation with my friend (who admittedly knows ZIP about diamonds) went like this:

Me: Oh, Sarah! Your ring is great! Your fiance did a great job of pcking it out on his own!
Sarah: Thank Jeebus, Lord knows that I know nothing about rings. He told me it was a solitaire and that it''s a princess cut. I don''t know how I feel about wearing something with the name "princess" in it. I see yours is square, too.
Me: Welll, it has 8-sides, so I guess you''d consider it an octagon. It''s a square emerald cut, which is a step cut.
Sarah: You sound like a diamond snob. What the hell is a step cut?
Me: It''s just the way the diamond is cut. See, if you look at our stones side by side mine has steps in it.
Sarah: Nicole, all I see is a square. I cannot see any difference at all.
Me: Sarah, you need to have your eyes checked, you''re completely blind. How do you not see the difference?
Sarah: All I see is that mine looks bigger! HA!

Lord knows I didn''t ask her for the depth or the mm measurement of her stone, haha.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 2:57:57 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Jfo, I''m sure with a radiant people are even more confused. I completely agree with you, though. Most people just say ''oh'' when you say what cut it is, which is perfectly fine. When DH and i started looking at rings, he honestly couldn''t pick a round brilliant from an emerald cut. He would say ''My lord, these things are bright! Should I be wearing eye protection? I can''t even look at these things long enough to see what shape they are! Diamonds give me a headache!''

The conversation with my friend (who admittedly knows ZIP about diamonds) went like this:

Me: Oh, Sarah! Your ring is great! Your fiance did a great job of pcking it out on his own!
Sarah: Thank Jeebus, Lord knows that I know nothing about rings. He told me it was a solitaire and that it''s a princess cut. I don''t know how I feel about wearing something with the name ''princess'' in it. I see yours is square, too.
Me: Welll, it has 8-sides, so I guess you''d consider it an octagon. It''s a square emerald cut, which is a step cut.
Sarah: You sound like a diamond snob. What the hell is a step cut?
Me: It''s just the way the diamond is cut. See, if you look at our stones side by side mine has steps in it.
Sarah: Nicole, all I see is a square. I cannot see any difference at all.
Me: Sarah, you need to have your eyes checked, you''re completely blind. How do you not see the difference?
Sarah: All I see is that mine looks bigger! HA!

Lord knows I didn''t ask her for the depth or the mm measurement of her stone, haha.
Nicole, I am ROLLING on the floor laughing!!!!! Your husband sounds a lot like mine. And that conversation with your girl friend... seriously priceless.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most people are not that nosy about my diamond. Only one person has asked me the color/clarity combo and we were talking about diamonds in general so it wasn''t some random stranger comment. A couple of my guy and girl friends have asked me how much it cost, mostly to gauge for what they can get for their money, I think. I don''t really mind sharing cost with people I know, especially if I know they''re on the market for diamonds.

I have a radiant, too, and a lot of people think it''s a princess cut. Sometimes I''ll get "Is that a princess? It looks different!"

The other day I was at a gas station I go to fairly often and the cashier guy was like "Oh my God, your ring is so beautiful! Is it real?! How much did it cost?!!" in practically one breath. It was my first "real" comment and my first "cost" comment all rolled up in one package! I just laughed and said that yes, it was real, and I didn''t know how much it cost because I didn''t pay for it!
9.gif

I also had one girl ask me if it was conflict free...that was weird! I had a topic about it in Hangout a while ago.

And my favorite is when people tell me how sparkly it is! I never really know what to say, so usually I''m like..."Thanks, I think it''s the lights in here!" or something like that because most of the time that''s why. Love halogen lighting. (I think that''s the sparkliest kind, right?)

Phew, can you tell I''m trying to avoid starting my 12 page research paper?! I get real chatty when I''ve got homework to do!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get a lot of comments/questions. People ask about the cut (I guess some people have never seen an EC before
33.gif
) They ask about the size. They ask about the sapphires (well, they ask what kind of stone they are
20.gif
) They ask the price sometimes
23.gif
Honestly basic questions do not bother me but the more personal (price for example) do. I just lie and say I don''t know.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It is interesting. People do not seem to be nosey at all. Often people will make a positive comment on the stones. Some want to know how "big" they are and some have asked what cut the EC cut is [perhaps they have never seen one]. In jewelry stores they garner quite a bit of attention from the employees [especially when I wear the earrings and the necklace at the same time].

I guess that, overall, I rarely get questions. I get mostly compliments and requests to see the pieces [which I readily show them - if I am in a questionable situation the rings are upside down and look like bands so nobody has asked], which is really nice.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think anyone''s really been very nosey about my ring. Some have inquired about the shape and said "Oh, it''s neat - it looks like it''s a mile deep", etc.

I think part of the reason is that the people I come in contact on a daily basis know what I have, or knew me before I had it and knew what I longed for.

I do have to say, though - I was a bit taken aback when a Tiffany''s sales associate returned from cleaning my ring only to compliment me on my cushion. When he said that I half expected to look down and see a Legacy ring in place of my asscher halo.
2.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 6:04:38 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I do have to say, though - I was a bit taken aback when a Tiffany''s sales associate returned from cleaning my ring only to compliment me on my cushion. When he said that I half expected to look down and see a Legacy ring in place of my asscher halo.
2.gif

ROTFL!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread, Gypsy!

Well, I''ve had a few doozies!!! Lots of people ask, "How big is it??!!" I''m used to that. (But NO ONE has ever asked color or clarity!
12.gif
)

I''ve also had people ask me, "OMG, is it REAL?!" and I had a former co-worker once ask flat out, "How much did it COST?!" I just didn''t feel like telling her, so I didn''t, but she literally HOUNDED me, kept asking me more questions, "More than 15 grand? More than 20 grand?! More than your car?!" Good lord, woman, leave me alone!!!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The comments I get are either that my asscher is a "nice princess cut" or the people who know it''s not a princess cut but don''t know what else it could be always say it''s a nice "square cut". I think the most sad/strange is the number of people working in jewelry stores that don''t know what cut it is! And I''m talking the higher end stores too! That said I am always gratified when someone "in the know" reacts to my asscher.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this thread... the stories are funny. And confirm my own experiences. Whether you have a D or a J, and IF or an eyeclean I1... most people focus on shape (usually incorrectly unless it''s a round), size and sparkle.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have never had the "How much did it cost?" question but it reminds me of a scene in Marblehead many years ago. People have no sense as to price!

There was this beautiful sailboat tied up at the public dock. It was probably 70 - 80 feet LOA or so. A family was waiting for the public launch [I happened to be behind them with my parents] and the wife commented to the husband about the beautiful boat and was wondering about how much something like that would cost. The ["knowing"] husband replied that it must be about $100k!!! [Of course, we could barely contain ourselves!!! - it was at least a mil!].

People, unless they are in the appropriate bracket, have no clue what something costs. That''s why they deserve the answer: "If you have to ask you can''t afford it"! LOL!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the gamut with my ring. I have had people just grab my hand and ask all kinds of things, is it real, how big is it, how much was it...I usually ballpark size and say hubby paid so I am not sure of the price. I have also had people then make negative comments about their own ring as they are looking at mine, but then say, "But I would never wear anything that big. I would be really uncomfortable with a ring that size". Okay, thanks for sharing. Generally if the comments are pleasant and well intended I try not to get upset or weirded out. But I have definitely had people be inappropriate with their comments and questions.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
The only really specific questions I''ve gotten have been from my best friend who got engaged right after me and is just as obsessed with diamonds as I am, so we happily compared specs with eachother. Most other people have basically asked about the shape and the size. My halo makes it look pretty huge, esp on my narrow hands. I''d say 95% have never heard of a cushion and when I try to explain it I get the same dazed looks as described above, so then I''ll just say "it''s a roundish rectangle that looks like a pillow" and that seems to work for them. A lot of people guess that mine is around to 2 carats which has been fun, and then I correct them (sometimes
31.gif
)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only semi-rude comment I've gotten was from my brother (who is kind of famous for a lack of tact, in general). There were about 5 other people (all family) present and we were all talking about something TOTALLY unrelated to jewelry, and all of a sudden he pipes up, interrupting everyone, and asks loudly, "Musey, what size is your diamond??"
20.gif

After a sufficiently awkward silence (which I extended to make the point that he was being kinda rude
3.gif
) I told him about 2cts, to which he said "Really? It doesn't look that big." I then tried to explain to him the deep cut of asschers, and that carat is a measure of weight and not spread... to which his eyes glazed over and I knew I'd lost him.

Oh, and I've had a few friends ask "how did Musey'sFI AFFORD this?"
25.gif
I hate that question. There are also the people who say, "That must have been expensive, how much was it, like $2000??" Not surprisingly, these are the same people who say, "I can't imagine how expensive wedding dinners get... what is it, something like $30 a head?" Ummm, try $120/head, then you're a little closer
28.gif

But that's a whole other issue...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only things I''ve really gotten is the princess comment (I''ve a lucida), and also I''ve had a few people ask how much it cost. I said the same thing as someone else and just said that I didn''t know as I didn''t pay for it. I''ve had the colour/clarity comment by 2 people as one asked how much of a premium did we have to pay for a D (I have an I but it''s very white). I don''t normally mind comments but I don''t like the how much was it comment.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I am asked about my rings often.Young couples will ask about my 2.54 round brilliant set in an art deco style ring i wear on my right hand.People assume that because i am a jeweler that all the white gems i wear are diamonds.I also wear a 3 carat white sapphire i inherited from my father.The place i get most attention or questions about my jewelry is the grocery store in the checkout line.When i worked at a local mall i would occationally have people stop me and ask about my rings because the lights and the movement of my hands really made them sparkle.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I once had a coworker tell me under no uncertain terms that my EC was a radiant. But then again she had a beautiful 2ct. asscher that she called a cushion. I swear some people don''t deserve their gorgeous jewelry.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
When people see my ring they ususally insist that it''s bigger than it really is - probably because it''s in a illusion setting and I have tiny 3.75 fingers. They also want to know if it was an heirloom or what since it looks "old". I''ve only had a handful of people come right out and ask "how big is it" or "how much did it cost". Clients always seem to have nice comments about my set too, which I sort of like.
40.gif
I don''t recall anybody ever specifically asking about the color/cut/clarity.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You gals are all so lucky to have entertaining stories to tell!

People have complimented my ring, but no one has ever asked the color and clarity, except my mom. She then looped it and told my all the reasons her diamond was better!
20.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you know, now that you mention it no one has ever asked me anything about my ring (that i recall), pre-reset or post. it did catch a hairstylists attention once and she said i had exactly what she wanted, a simple solitaire princess with a plain band, but she didn''t ask me anything about it. when she got engaged a year later, that''s exactly what she got! the only other person i know with a PC is another hairstylist i went to. we mentioned we had the same cut, but nothing more was asked (by her or by me. hers was at least a 1.5, maybe a 2ct and it is gorgeous).

when i got engaged and people would ask to see my ring the general reaction was ''oh.'' then they''d continue with whatever they were doing. poor me.
2.gif

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 6:47:31 PM
Author: BriBee
The only really specific questions I''ve gotten have been from my best friend who got engaged right after me and is just as obsessed with diamonds as I am, so we happily compared specs with eachother. Most other people have basically asked about the shape and the size. My halo makes it look pretty huge, esp on my narrow hands. I''d say 95% have never heard of a cushion and when I try to explain it I get the same dazed looks as described above, so then I''ll just say ''it''s a roundish rectangle that looks like a pillow'' and that seems to work for them. A lot of people guess that mine is around to 2 carats which has been fun, and then I correct them (sometimes
31.gif
)
Holy Cr*p BriBee! I had to do a search on you to find out more about your ring! It''s amazing. I''ve been here for over a year and no ring ever made me jealous till yours! I just can''t get over how HUGE it looks. And I have small hands with a size 3.5 ring finger...your cushion looks WAY bigger than my 1.55 ct round...WAY WAY bigger. I would easily guess that at 2+ct''s too..MAN am I jealous!

That being said, no one ever comments on my ring...I''m not sure why either. I think it''s because people must assume it''s fake. I don''t look like someone who would wear a big diamond. I have a 3 and a 1 year old, so I usually look sorta..well..lets just say I look tired and a bit unkept (lol). I don''t feel the need to get all dolled up everyday, nor do I spend my money on high end fashion for daily wear and what not. I think my ring looks out of place on me to other people.
That being said...I was in the mall the other day getting my kids picture taken with Santa. We stopped by the food court on our way out. While waiting in line I saw this young lady walk up behind me..she had her designer jeans tucked into her ugg boots, and she was swinging her Louis Vuitton purse about. As she got in line behind me I noticed she had a big ER on. While she was talking to her SO I noticed it was a princess cut, the ring was a lot of big chunky gold and her diamond wasn''t as big as I thought. It was still big, a little over a ct probably but not huge, and it was cloudy and not blingy. I turned away to tend to my children, and when I turned back I noticed she was staring at my ring. She noticed I was looking at her and instantly stuck her nose up in the air and tossed her hair over her shoulder. By her demeanor I''d say she was honestly threatened by my ring. She kept hers tucked away in her crossed arms from that point on. People can be so weird.

Elise

Rough_Rock
i''m not sure whether this is a culture thing. but i live in asia and since i''ve received my e-ring, i''ve been asked countless number of times what colour, clarity and carat weight it is. quite a few also asked me how much it cost.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I once got a "oh-no-you-really-didn''t-just-ask-that" question from an accquaintance.

He asked about the carat size of my ering, and what the cut was (clueless guy). I responded that it was a 1.4 carat princess. He then asked about color & clarity- I told him it was a G/SI. He thought about it awhile (saw the wheels turning in his head), and finally said "wow, M certainly didn''t spend 2 months salary on your ring! How''d he get away with spending less?"

Talk about waaaaay out of line!

I know I shouldn''t let that little exchange get to me, but now I''m rather vague when a random person asks about my e-ring.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2007 11:32:39 AM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I once got a ''oh-no-you-really-didn''t-just-ask-that'' question from an accquaintance.

He asked about the carat size of my ering, and what the cut was (clueless guy). I responded that it was a 1.4 carat princess. He then asked about color & clarity- I told him it was a G/SI. He thought about it awhile (saw the wheels turning in his head), and finally said ''wow, M certainly didn''t spend 2 months salary on your ring! How''d he get away with spending less?''

I know I shouldn''t let that little exchange get to me, but now I''m rather vague when a random person asks about my e-ring.
23.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 10:54:07 AM
Author: skphotoimages

Holy Cr*p BriBee! I had to do a search on you to find out more about your ring! It''s amazing. I''ve been here for over a year and no ring ever made me jealous till yours! I just can''t get over how HUGE it looks. And I have small hands with a size 3.5 ring finger...your cushion looks WAY bigger than my 1.55 ct round...WAY WAY bigger. I would easily guess that at 2+ct''s too..MAN am I jealous!
Hahaha, thanks, that''s so nice! I am jealous of MANY rings on this site, so it''s neat to know someone feels that way about my ring
12.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 11:57:10 AM
Author: rainydaze

Date: 12/12/2007 11:32:39 AM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I once got a ''oh-no-you-really-didn''t-just-ask-that'' question from an accquaintance.

He asked about the carat size of my ering, and what the cut was (clueless guy). I responded that it was a 1.4 carat princess. He then asked about color & clarity- I told him it was a G/SI. He thought about it awhile (saw the wheels turning in his head), and finally said ''wow, M certainly didn''t spend 2 months salary on your ring! How''d he get away with spending less?''

23.gif
OMG, he did not say that. I don''t know what I would have said. That''s beyond so feakin rude!
29.gif

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I have been very lucky to have no one say anything to rude to me. But I don''t mind when people ask me cut, carat, or color info but then again I haven''t had that many people ask. Most of my friends aren''t jewlery people so they have no idea "how it works" and most of them think my 1.4 round is 2ct (which it really doesnt, also compounded b/c because i have a size 7.5 finger!) but since they aren''t used to wearing a lot of jewlery they''re just throwing out random numbers.

to be honest though, it''s kinda nice to have someone gush over your ring even if they have idea what they are talking about. one girl said to me (who was actually a friend of my sister), "OMG! your ring must be WAY bigger than both your sisters'' rings!". I just thought that it was really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results