shape
carat
color
clarity

How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I just finished designing my mothers'' ring. When it is complete it will be over 7 carats of diamond pave work with two diamond pave panther heads - one with ruby eyes and the other with pink sapphire eyes in a bypass platinum setting. The ring will be a piece of art and it will be huge. My husband mentioned that it might be overkill if I wore it with my 3 stone ring and eternity band and that I should just wear it with my plain platinum band. He also added that smaller earrings might work better as well.

My question to you all....When does it become too much? For those of you who own RHR, do you wear it with your engagement ring and wedding band or do you wear it by itself? Do you wear other jewelry such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets, watches etc...

Thank you for your insight.

Roppongi

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring you described sounds like a piece of art that should stand on it's own. . . Any additional jewelry will cause a busy over-stimulating effect. . .to create elegance, I think your ring will look best with just this piece and a very simple black dress or outfit. No other competing element.

Can you post pictures for us to see?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My take on large pieces of jewelry is that it depends on the individual and how they can carry it off. I don''t really feel like I can carry off large pieces of jewelry on me...I don''t really dress up often or dress up for work or anything like that. So if I wore multiple pieces of large jewelry, it may look fake or like overkill on me...I also don''t like layering TOO many pieces on myself because I also feel like I can''t carry it off. But some people can, my girlfriend has a small diamond nose ring, she wears diamond hoop earrings that are 1", she has one or two diamond bracelets that she wears, and she also layers diamond rings on her right hand and wears one or two diamond thin rings on her left hand. She can carry off everything she wears and probably even more. She just looks like it all ''fits'' on her. But if wore all the same pieces I''d feel like it looked out of place on me.

So I guess the question is...what is your feel on carrying off large pieces? I think it really depends on the individual. Also I tend to think larger women, aka taller etc can carry off larger pieces of jewelry whereas many smaller women look overwhelmed in large rings or earrings at times.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
MC..thank you so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. I just didn''t want it to look over the top. I think you nailed it right on the head with the word elegance. The ring truly is a specatacular piece and I will post once I have pictures of the wax which is due any day. At first, I really did want a right hand ring to be worn every day....something simple to signify my two boys. But over time it took on a life of its own and it became bigger than I wanted it. I am so excited for this piece that I really think my left hand sertting will take a back seat to it, which is okay. All of my other daily jewelry will become obsolete. Afterall, my boys are my past, my present and my future.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Mara...thank you for your opinion, you know what it means to me.

I am not a tall or large person by any stretch...5'' and 100 lbs. I can only get away with so much before it starts looking tackey, which is not my objective. Truth be told. I didn''t think I would have to 86 my left hand set to wear this new ring but if it''s what I have to do....I will do it.

When you own more than one significent piece of jewelry, the process of elimination becomes harder.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
It sounds totally unique. I''d love to see a picture.
I think "too much" is up to the individual. You''ll know when you see it on. I like to be pretty understated myself, so for me I would probably not wear much else with it, but it really depends on you!
I hope you enjoy it!! Please post some pics!
Gail

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will it look somewhat like Cartier''s panther rings (those with two cat heads cross over th finger)?

If so... the 7 cts sound like allot. I''ve seen this design (or similar) both in relatively small and HUGE rings.

IMO, both small and large rings have their point. It is nice to wear one large piece and it is nice too to match allot of conservative ones. It just depends what the ocasion is of course. I am leaning towards the first camp (one large piece) for formal fare. Otherwise don''t wear almost anything.

What are your plans for using the respective diamond sculpture ?
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too big?

CartierCats.JPG

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Oh those panthers are really cute. Not my style, but I would love to look at them on someone else.

So I don''t have a right hand ring, but if this were me, I would wear the e-ring and wedding band on one hand and the right hand ring on the other. No other jewlery besides a watch.

How big is this ring though? In mm? They don''t look that big on Ana''s pictures.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Valeria....The Cartier Panthere collection was the inspiration for this piece. I wanted it to be both symbolic and one of a kind. It just so happens that my husband is born in the year of the tiger, my eldest son is a leo and the mascot for our son''s school is the couger so I thought a feline would be a good choice. The double headed bypass Panther ring by Cartier is $44,900 for 18k white gold. My husband loves me, just not that much, he did however love the ring. When I tried it on the sales manager at Cartier told me that most people wear it on either their pinkey or ring finger on the right hand. I saw a spread in Bazaar that used this ring and the model wore it on her pinkey along with another ring on her ring finger as well as a ring on her left hand! She was not a large girl and wore the ring very well.

I am leaning towards wearing just my eternity band when it arrives. Thank you for your pictures and your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that just your eternity band would be understated but still look polished...you don''t want to necessarily just have one big strong piece on and absolutely NOTHING else...I think the eternity ring on the other hand would complement it quite nicely.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds lovely and can''t wait to see it.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2005 1:56:14 PM
Author: roppongi

The double headed bypass Panther ring by Cartier is $44,900 for 18k white gold. My husband loves me, just not that much,
Ouch! I had no idea... never asked about Cartier''s price; I can remember seeing some of these rings in estate sales for quite a bit less than that. Anyway, now I know why these rings are so rare
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results