shape
carat
color
clarity

How much $$ is too much to spend on a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard the cost of the setting shouldn''t be more than about 1/3 the value of the stone.

What are your thoughts?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
i heard a number similar to that as well, though i don''t recall where. i would say it''s up to you entirely though. if you want a less expensive stone and pricey setting, then i don''t see why you should not have it.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever you can afford to get the one you think looks nice. Personally, I like to spend as little money as possible cuz I want all attention on the stone. But, that''s just a matter of taste.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a matter of taste and preference...

For ME...in terms of cost relative to the stone, I would not want to spend more than 1/3 of the cost of the stone and if possible even 1/4. But it really depends. I don't agree with buying a $5k stone and spending $6k on the setting...but that is just me because then *I* would rather have a bigger stone...size girl over here.

Our stone was about $8k and the setting was $2k so it was relative...but I guess if you have a $30k stone and get a $2k setting, that's a good deal! hehe.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 11:3:34 AM
Author:mrssalvo
I have heard the cost of the setting shouldn''t be more than about 1/3 the value of the stone.

What are your thoughts?
As long as the ring looks great, I dont mind if it''s mostly because of the main gem or the work around it. It can go either way, IMO.

No matter what the % is, there''s always going to be some price range where it sounds weird: settings are just that much less expensive than large diamonds, and... why would one ban small diamonds from getting a wonderful ring around them ?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Rules of thumb like this are so stupid. If you love an elaborate setting, who cares if the diamond was inexpensive. Or what if you want to put an inexpensive colored stone in it? If you bought a dress from Target does that mean you automatically can''t wear your Jimmy Choo heels with it, even if they look fabulous together?

Go with what makes you happy and what you can afford. Those are the only rules of thumb you should follow.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
umm i spent ~£600 on the rock... and just been quoted ~£500 on the setting.

I suppose the rule of thumb in this instance would only kick in if i had gone for a larger stone.. since the ring cost will probly stay the same for quite a range of stone sizes...

But then, with wanting Plat, and a custom design, that has pushed the cost up.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I, too, agree with the above posters. That "rule of thumb"thing reminds me of DeBeer''s stupid marketing ploy, the "...3-month salary" rule (or whatever it is).
38.gif

At first I was thinking, "well... I guess maybe scrimping on the setting couldt be a good idea in some instances where money is tight, because you can get the stone you want and change the setting at a later date..." But heck, with the excellent trade-up policies most of the vendors here have -- you can upgrade the stone just as easily too!

So I think it boils down to this... get what you like, what you want, and what you can afford. I suppose there can be rare "extremes" as mentioned above... but in general, I think there are no real "rules".

Lynn

amytude

Shiny_Rock
My stone was around 10K and my setting is around 3K. It''s being made right now, 3 sided pave. I agree with everyone else. Get what you like.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
as cheap as possible,i don't want to lay down 6k on a fancy setting and she changes her mind the next month. remember most of the dollars goes to labor cost.the stones and the precious metals probably wouldn't add up to $2000 worth. both of my wife's solitaire are in cheap 14k wg prong setting .as long as she don't complain its okay by me.
2.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re a guy and you are chosing the ring for your sweetie and you don''t know if she''ll like the setting or not, don''t go overboard...but if you are a woman, it is your setting, get what you want and what you can afford without feeling any remorse!

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I agree with the others who said buy what you like and can afford. My setting was fairly expensive relative to the cost of the stone but, to me, it made all the difference. It''s a unique setting and I fell in love with it. I would have gone to a smaller stone to get it. Fortunately, I didn''t have to take that action!!

Bottom line - it''s what you like and what makes you comfortable. You should spend what you can afford and buy whatever makes you truly happy with your e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results