shape
carat
color
clarity

how much is this diamond worth

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
can anyone tell me the value of this stone: gia, round brillant, 3.12carats, measurements 9.00 9.18 5.97, depth 65.7%, table 64%, girdle medium to thick faceted, culet very small, polish good, symmetry good, clarity si1, color l , floresence faint. comments: pinpoints not shown, crown angles are greater than 35 degrees. i have been reading this forum for 6-8 months now and very much enjoy the information that all of you so generously share. This stone is set in a ladies 10% irid. platinum 4mm wide comfort fit cathedral mounting size 6.5. This is all of the information i have on this ring. thank you for any information you can give me.
35.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi banjo,

Nothing about this stone sounds exciting.

65.7% depth tell us that the stone will look smaller than it should (hence you''re shelling out for the over 3.00ct premium).
64% table.
38.gif

Crown angles over 35 degrees.

Without even getting a Sarin you have a bunch of red flags here. If you have money to burn go for it.

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
thank you rhino for your prompt reply. i knew of the stones problems. i am interested in the stone''s value. can you or anyone else tell me what this stone is worth. i appreciate any knowledge anyone can give me about how much this stone is worth. thanks. the banjo dog
35.gif

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
33.gif
is 14k too much to pay?

set2374

Rough_Rock
I am a lay person and hardly an expert on valuing a stone. Rap on the Stone is $30,576. Considering how lousy the cut is, I am going to be conservative and knock off 40%, which would reduce the number to $18,345.60. This stone could even be worth less. The setting adds nothing to the value, maybe a few dollars as scrap.

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
33.gif
is 14k too much to pay?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have no idea what a stone with those dimensions would go for. what is your motivation in considering a stone such as this?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what belle said. If the cut is lousy why would you want it????
33.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Do you already own it? Are you trying to sell it or put it up for consignment?

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
yes, i do own the ring. i did not disclose that, as i was seeking an honest opinion, and did not want anyone to hold back anything in order to spare my feelings. i received the ring many years ago as a 23rd anniversary gift. my husband took me into a very well respected jewelry store and said he wanted to buy me something. he selected the stone and it is not what i would have chosen but it was a gesture of love and was received as such. i selected the mounting and when we went back to pick it up i was bowled over to see how pretty it really was. i am a bit of a perfectionist and am often accused of nit picking but to the naked eye the ring is lovely. i know the problems as we have the gia report. i considered an upgrade last year but didn''t go thru with it. the saga of the broken diamond and the insurance issues sparked me to do some investigating since my insurance is due in mid august. i live in an area where independent appraisers are hard to find. i have the jewelers evaluation and the gia report. i was hoping with all of the knowledge available here that someone could ballpark me a current realistic monetary value. thank you. the banjo dog

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You asked what it was worth.
Worth is a loaded word, (as in loaded with many potential answers).
Even determining what it is worth at retail is not simple.

"Price will depend on location, Internet or B&M, Mall, chain, high-end retailer, pawn shop.
Sorry but if you are a private individual you will be selling at wholesale.
So think half of retail.

If it were mine I'd get it recut and keep it.
If you must sell it don't cut it; most people are less informed and greatly value size over cut.
It may take a long time to sell.
If I had to sell it I would cut out the middle (wo)man and try to sell it myself to someone I knew.
I would expect it would take a very long time to sell.

EZ

Rough_Rock
Okay, this is way out in left field but what would it cost to recut a stone like this?

Would a slightly smaller piece be worth more if it had a really good cut?

I guess a starting point would be a Sarin or Ogi report and then some expensive software to map out a new cut. What then? Are there people that do this sort of work? (legally?)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many people that have had their stones recut. Obviously you will loose weight. Some times it''s worth it, other times it''s not. You can''t make a generalization, it''s a case by case basis. My first stone given to me by my hubby had a small chip. We had the stone recut and the results were amazing. We only lost a tiny bit of weight so it was way worth it for us.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with the depth of 65.7% and a 64% table.if you do a recut into ideal proportion,maybe you end up with a 2.60ct.
33.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/18/2005 6:19:51 PM
Author: thebanjodog
33.gif
is 14k too much to pay?

Just catching up on this thread banjo. I didn''t realize you owned it banjo but I appreciate the fact that you wanted to leave that info out for a pure unbiased opinion. So you may or may not really be interested in recutting it or anything like that and that''s ok. From what I gather you just want to insure it and want to know a current value.

In answer to your question above however, no ... 14k is not too much for it. Even a diamond which has the characteristics that this does it''ll still fetch that and more.

If you want your diamond professionallhy appraised there are a number of excellent people here who can help you. www.gemappraisers.com, www.sarasotagemlab.com, www.consumersgemlab.com, and www.thegemlab.us are 4 labs you should consider.

If you are interested in selling your stone, cosigning it to a vendor or have something else in mind, share with us and we''ll steer you in the right direction.

Kind regards,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
recut would run a little over 2400 + cert+shipping and as noted result in a ton of lost weight.
contact Wink if interested.

www.winkjones.com

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
it has been insured for the entire time i have owned it. eleven years. the jeweler it was purchased from valued it at 22k. after the tale of the broken diamond appeared here i began thinking about the issues that were brought up regarding collecting on the insurance in the event of loss or damage. if you pay premiums on 22k then you expect to collect 22k or merchandise valued at 22k. i personally feel if your diamond is not actually worth 22k you shouldn''t pay premiums for that amount, if in the event of loss or damage, the company only has to pay 14k, or whatever they say it will cost them to replace it with like kind. i like the agreed value concept. both sides should get fair compensation. that is the reason i was wondering about the value of the stone. i am interested in the thoughts some of you have expressed regarding recutting the stone. frankly, with the l color i did not know if people here would think it was worth it. do any of you have thoughts on this? i don''t have any idea how expensive or work intensive this would be. i also wonder if the value will improve due to a better cut or decrease due to loss of size. and of course, how much risk is involved in recutting. any thought on this are appreciated. much thanks for the input you all have given this topic. the banjo dog

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
For recutting the stone needs to be properly analyzed for more than just weight loss.

The clarity characteristics have to be looked at, sometimes a stone gets worse color and/or clairty wise, and sometimes the opposite.

Graining, stress or strain has to be considered as well.

And as with repolishing any stone there is a risk it can shatter.

You don''t have to cut the stone to incredible H&A type proportions if you don''t want that, but you potentially could improve it appearance and have a more valuable stone too.

Recutting is certainly a good consideration, but not for every stone.

Rockdoc

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 12:41:31 AM
Author: Rhino

If you want your diamond professionallhy appraised there are a number of excellent people here who can help you. www.gemappraisers.com, www.sarasotagemlab.com, www.consumersgemlab.com, and www.thegemlab.us are 4 labs you should consider.

Kind regards,

I would use one of these guys to appraise your stone. Once they've looked at it, they will be able to tell you all the pros and cons of recutting or any other options they may be available. I don't have any appraiser's locally so I actually sent my ring to Richard Sherwood at SarasotaGemLab and was very pleased with the outcome. Any of the guys Rhino mentioned would do a good honest job.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This does look like a decent prospect for a recut job but it is sort of a complicated question to decide how to approach it. Most jewelers don’t have much experience with this and a 3 carat stone isn’t the best place to practice. It’s important to decide your objectives. For most dealers, the issue is getting maximum money. For consumers the plan is usually to get the most beautiful diamond. There is usually some overlap in these goals but they are definitely not the same issue. If it’s about the money, dropping the weight below the 3.0 mark will be an important topic. There are also clarity, color and durability issues that may come into play. An additional important variable will be how and to whom you plan to sell it. Not all buyers view the premium for superb cutting in the same way and it’s easy to find yourself investing $500-$1000 in a recut, another $400 to get it regarded by the lab and a few months of stress for little or no additional return. If you’re seriously considering this, hire a pro who can assist.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''m just a consumer - but logic would dictate that a stone with a large table & large depth would be a good canditate for a recut. Since you are worried about how much it would cost to replace, you could send it to an appraiser, find out exactly what is it''s worth & get an opinion about recut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results